Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Jman
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get started I will say the most of threads on this board that our saying that Dolph Ziggler is Great IC Champion, though I am not really nor I am really agreeing with that statement. I am staying on the fence, but if you think about a couple months he was getting little to no reaction, now he's getting some of that steam back, but I can't but feel like it Dolph Ziggler would not have a great IC title in recent memory, if not people he's been placed against who helped get him over. Like Bryan Danielson, or a Lo Ki who are two of the best workers, in ring wise that WWE has to offer, but aslo Kofi Kingston and recently released MVP. I guess my question that posed to you guys is, did Dolph put some prestige back to the IC title or did the guys he has placed been against made him shine more?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dolph Ziggler did it on his own. He's been solid all around, puts on good matches with many different wrestlers.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Ziggler has put on some really good matches as the IC champion on the predominately wrestling show. So he's been good in his role and its been a good run. I do have to wonder what is next, I wouldn't take it off him until he's ready to move into the main event scene which sadly wont happen.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Ziggler made himself in my opinion.

He's been putting on some brilliant matches, the little trilogy with Danielson is one to take note of. I really don't see the hype with Kofi Kingston, infact he annoys me and MVP is fairly overrated around these parts as well so mentioning these two didn't help the against Ziggler cause.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Before I get started I will say the most of threads on this board that our saying that Dolph Ziggler is Great IC Champion, though I am not really nor I am really agreeing with that statement. I am staying on the fence, but if you think about a couple months he was getting little to no reaction, now he's getting some of that steam back, but I can't but feel like it Dolph Ziggler would not have a great IC title in recent memory, if not people he's been placed against who helped get him over. Like Bryan Danielson, or a Lo Ki who are two of the best workers, in ring wise that WWE has to offer, but aslo Kofi Kingston and recently released MVP. I guess my question that posed to you guys is, did Dolph put some prestige back to the IC title or did the guys he has placed been against made him shine more?
There's no doubt that Ziggler has benefited greatly from the quality of his opponents, namely, Kingston, Bryan, and Kaval. However, you have to give tons of credit to Ziggler. I've posted about this before: Ziggler is just one of the top in ring workers in the company right now. He's got good presence, he sells, he has a certain energy about him, and he really has been displaying a good sense ring psychology--the ability to really tell a good story in a match. You also have to give some credit to Vicky for helping get him over as a heel.

So, as is usually the case in wrestling, there seems to be a multitude of factors contributing to Ziggler's overall success as IC Champion.

·
Canuck
4,763 Posts
Dolph Ziggler did Dolph Ziggler. Albeit, he has Vickie & Katelyn in his corner and has feuded w/ some amazing talent (Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, and Kaval) I believe it was he himself who got the reaction. Some people have it and other don't but he has this sort of cocky arrogant persona about him and what makes it so believable is that it's so subtle that you might actually think he's like that which is phenomenal for his character. I get a old school vibe w/ Ziggler too, he reminds me of a 80s wrestler the way he moves around in the ring and the look he has. Like a young Mr. Perfect or a early Shawn Michaels. Again, he's got a large road ahead if he wants to be thought of in the same sentence as those guys but I feel Ziggler has a prosperous career ahead of him. So to answer the question again, no. Dolph Ziggler has made it on his own.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think he brought some creditbilty into IC title and has look strong against his oponents like Daniel Bryan,Kofi Kingston and others. Vickie help him get noticble and over as heel which worked. It would have good to see him feud with Big Show though Big Show being booked as dominant guy but he not doing nothing so he should feud with Dolph and Dolph would get tons of momentum he defeated him with that sleaper hold.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
WWE waited too long with Ziggler IMO. Last year he was on a roll. Guy was a heat magnet. He actually made a 3 minute match with Khali somewhat enjoyable. Unfortunately, the Chosen One came in. Eh funny how things worked out. The Chosen One is basically directionless atm. WWE messed up big time by not giving him the title last year. But never say never, they gave him the ball to run with this year and he looks like he's reinventing himself with the whole Vickie/Kaitlyn angle.

IMO a couple more reigns and a couple more years Ziggler can go down as one of the memorable IC champs ever. The kid has a bright future no doubt, and don't be surprised to see him in the main event 5 years from now.

Has he brought prestige back to the belt? Well that's not entirely dependent on him. Creative has to play a role in that as well, as they're trying. But the quality of matches him and his opponents have given week after week, PPV after PPV have definitely made the IC title match something worth watching.

All in all, when you see IC Champ Dolph Ziggler on the card, you know you're in for a great match. So I'd say he's a credible champion.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
I think him having a fantastic match with Edge (who hasn't many fantastic matches of late, even with Jericho) followed by the series with Bryan really cemented him as someone who deserves the IC title, rather than someone who merely has the IC title. Which takes him out of the leagues of Morrison and McIntyre's reigns, and into the leagues of Perfect and Bret's reigns. Whether the belt's credibility survives when he loses it is a matter of who he drops it to, but Ziggler's credibility should remain unscathed. (Assuming he isn't jobbed out to all and sundry, misused for a couple of years, before asking for his release. But that'd never happen to a Smackdown midcarder.)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
He is great as the IC champion.

I think the moment he dumps Vickie Guerrero for Kaitlyn then he'll become a face. This way he can feud with heels like Drew and Cody. But even as a face he could still feud with Kofi and Kaval.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ziggler is the shit , he is a fantastic worker over all, and one of the top 5 in the wwe .

does he bring prestige back to the ic , i say : '' yes '' .

why ? Well . did any one saw the last pay per view ? The mid card was by far superior then the main evententers .

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Well, i think Ziggler does a great job as IC champion, he's stepped up his game since he became champion, he's put on a lot of memorable matches so far, i also quite enjoy his promos and the way he carries himself on the screen, everything is just...perfection. I'm loving how WWE slowly builds him up, last year he was practically a jobber and now he's the star of the midcard, who knows next year perhaps he's gonna be a main eventer. ;)

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Its a mixture of a few things. Being on smackdown being given time to wrestle has helped. Having good opponents to work with has helped he's not like a Bret Hart or an HBK who could have a good match with a broomstick but give him someone half decent to work with and he'll give you an entertaining match.

Having the instant heat machine Vickie Guererro has also aided him as well.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,822 Posts
WWE waited too long with Ziggler IMO. Last year he was on a roll. Guy was a heat magnet. He actually made a 3 minute match with Khali somewhat enjoyable. Unfortunately, the Chosen One came in. Eh funny how things worked out. The Chosen One is basically directionless atm. WWE messed up big time by not giving him the title last year. But never say never, they gave him the ball to run with this year and he looks like he's reinventing himself with the whole Vickie/Kaitlyn angle.

IMO a couple more reigns and a couple more years Ziggler can go down as one of the memorable IC champs ever. The kid has a bright future no doubt, and don't be surprised to see him in the main event 5 years from now.

Has he brought prestige back to the belt? Well that's not entirely dependent on him. Creative has to play a role in that as well, as they're trying. But the quality of matches him and his opponents have given week after week, PPV after PPV have definitely made the IC title match something worth watching.

All in all, when you see IC Champ Dolph Ziggler on the card, you know you're in for a great match. So I'd say he's a credible champion.
In a perfect world, Mysterio should have held onto the Intercontinental Championship for another, oh, let's say two or three more months or so before he was suspended by WWE and then dropped it to Ziggler to conclude a dramatic chase of it by the tenacious Ziggler. But when Rey was suspended, that killed a lot of things and while the reigns of Morrison and McIntyre were hardly very memorable or rewarding even for them, I think in the end we got the second-best option and just perhaps the very best option after all. That time in the wilderness from fall 2009 going into his Intercontinental Championship victory over Kofi in midsummer this year actually made Ziggler better, more complete, more tested and readier. He demonstrated that he could go; his matches with Mysterio were excellent, his work with Finlay and the sluggish Matt Hardy was noteworthy; he put on a few stellar matches with Morrison (all in losing efforts), debuted his Sleeper finisher while having a very solid turn-the-corner mini-feud on TV with Kane in the winter, sort of drifted into limbo, not doing much but performed rather well in the Money in the Bank build-up and match, went over Great Khali which was a cool "coming full circle" moment for him right after Wrestlemania which saw the first seedling of a renewed push, and entered Vickie's orbit while beginning an okay little feud with Christian before finally transitioning into the Intercontinental Champion against Kofi Kingston.

Now he's battle-hardened and 90-proof proven. His series with Kofi was rock solid. He made me think Edge still had life in him with that terrific match against him. His series with Bryan put him over the top, definitively proving that he's an elite midcard worker in WWE (he could hang with AmDrag going all-out at Bragging Rights, a real feat). He got one of MVP's better matches out of him in the latter portion of his career some weeks back on Smackdown. And his couple of matches with Kaval have been fun to watch for the most part.

To me, the reign he's enjoying now tastes sweeter because it feels more earned. Ziggler's chase of the Intercontinental Championship, which raged on for a little over a year, is one of those chases that makes the championship feel important. WWE never forgot about it, they consistently had the announcers discuss Ziggler's drive to become Intercontinental Champion. The fact that the guy absolutely deserves it and is carrying it like a real pro only makes it even better. It's fitting that Ziggler's chase story came out of the Jericho/Mysterio wars for the championship because it was similar in its defining the prestige of the championship.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Zig is great he is just running out of people to feud with.
Not a problem, just stop making everything a feud, let him have some one-off challengers for his title for a while until someone is ready to take the title. Right now Masters is being booked reasonably well, give him a shot, probably on Smackdown. Meanwhile let Berreta and Hawkins finish up their feud, moving the last match up to Smackdown rather than leaving it on Superstars and, after Trent wins, give him a shot. Have Dolph win then put together a champion vs champion match (presumably against Edge) which makes him seem like a bigger deal and which in turn makes the belt big enough for someone closer to the main-event to challenge for. Have Dolph win that.

While all this is going on, Kaval can be built up to the point where he's ready to take the title, let him do so on PPV (we're probably up to Elimination Chamber by now, possibly Wrestlemania) so that Dolph, having dropped the mid-card belt, is in a position to forgo his rematch and instead focus on the world title. That doesn't need to be a long feud, just a one-shot deal like his previous challengers got, let him come out of the match looking good so that he can remain just below the main-event slots, ready for another challenge in 3-4 months time.

There's no guarentee that any of this would work but it's booking 101 so it has a chance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
As a fan that isn't that fond of Dolph at all, I would still say he has earned this title reign and is as good a fighting champion as a heel which is rare.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts