Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolph Ziggler is now the 22nd WWE Triple Crown Champion after winning the World Heavyweight Championship from Edge. How do you feel about his achievement and did he deserve it? To me, the way he got it was awful. He isn't great enough to be main eventing yet, but I did not doubt that he would at least be a world champion once. I wish they had given him this achievement in a much more memorable fashion than the >1 hour reign he got.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
It's no secret how I feel about Ziggler, so obviously no, I don't feel he deserves it at ALL. However, since I knew he was gonna end up as a world champion anyway the way they were pushing him, I'm glad that it at least happened in this insanely farcical way that might end up ruining the rest of his career if we're lucky.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
How are we sure he's a triple crown winner? I know he did win the tag team titles, but WWE might not be counting that since it was under a different gimmick and WWE may not wish to associate him with the Spirit Squad at this phase of his career. Ziggler is struggling enough with getting over, the guy has no presence at all, and on top of it, according to the spoilers, he doesn't even have Vickie Guerrero anymore because she betrayed him by telling Teddy that it was Ziggler's fault for him getting attacked. I'm sure the last thing WWE wants to do is remind anyone what he used to be. He's already not taken seriously enough.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure WWE's always counted Ziggler's Tag Team Championships reign, because when he was pursuing the Intercontinental Championship for literally a year, the announcers always made a point out of him never winning "a singles title in WWE..."

As for what I think of it, to summarize: the way they slowly, gradually pushed him into Intercontinental Championship contention, then away from it, then back to it before winning it over the course of an entire year was wonderful and made his nearly six-month reign rich with a rock solid backstory. The way they went about pushing him to World Heavyweight Championship contention and then especially his 15-minute or whatever reign is an abomination. Clearly they don't learn either their own mistakes or their own successes.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Is it confirmed that the WWE will actually acknowledge his reign as champion? if so what a shitty way to win the title.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Did that count as a title reign for him? It seemed more as if the title was vacant for the episode of smackdown. I could be wrong. Maybe ill just have to watch it to see how they did it. If they do count it as a title reign though, that is retarded and WWE is getting pathetic.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Urdnot is probably right about it ruining his career. He would have to improve himself vastly to overcome this career killer.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,629 Posts
If he were a face, the way he got the championship would be awful. As a heel its fine. Triple H, Randy Orton, Hollywood Hogan, all were given championships. its a great way to build heat. Ziggler is long term, he'll have more title reigns but this is just another way to get him a little more over.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Urdnot is probably right about it ruining his career. He would have to improve himself vastly to overcome this career killer.
I agree. Judging by the Smackdown spoilers... (POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD), they appear to be in the baby steps of turning him face. This is like an accelerated, perhaps even more fucked up version of what they did to Orton in 2004. Could easily kill Ziggler's career.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I agree. Judging by the Smackdown spoilers... (POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD), they appear to be in the baby steps of turning him face. This is like an accelerated, perhaps even more fucked up version of what they did to Orton in 2004. Could easily kill Ziggler's career.
Especially since Ziggler isn't Randy Orton, and by that, I mean Vince McMahon isn't going to coddle him like a baby despite all of his failures.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Especially since Ziggler isn't Randy Orton, and by that, I mean Vince McMahon isn't going to coddle him like a baby despite all of his failures.
This could go either way. Either he fades into oblivion or takes this as a wake up call and starts upping his game. He is severely lacking in the promo department, but nothing is for certain.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If he were a face, the way he got the championship would be awful. As a heel its fine. Triple H, Randy Orton, Hollywood Hogan, all were given championships. its a great way to build heat. Ziggler is long term, he'll have more title reigns but this is just another way to get him a little more over.
at last a sensible post in this thread. Well played

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I'd love it if he improves. I don't WANT him to suck, but that's just how it is with some guys. The only problem is, unlike other horrible entertainers turned great, such as The Miz, Dolph Ziggler doesn't have anywhere near enough charisma to get to that type of level.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem is not so much the handing over of the title, but how long the reign lasted and what was gained from it. How does he get heat because he had a forgettable title reign and the face won it back in the same night?

·
What?
13,511 Posts
He has to add some depth to his character for me to actually give a shit about him.

I nothing him. Which is probably worse than hating him. He just brings nothing. Well, I guess that's unfair he does bring something, but it's been the same since he debuted. He hasn't seemed to progress anywhere. And having Vicky Guerrero "talk" for him (read: say "EXCUSE ME" to get people to boo) didn't really do anything for him because it wasn't him getting the heat, it was just Vicky getting boo's.

Now you take her out of the equation and what do you have? A mid-carder who is stuck in no mans land in between mid and main event with no charisma and seemingly no ability to establish himself any higher than he is, but because of the gargantuan push he got he seems out of place in the mid-card.

Unless something radical happens with him in between now and WM, can't see him doing anything productive.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
It's no secret how I feel about Ziggler, so obviously no, I don't feel he deserves it at ALL. However, since I knew he was gonna end up as a world champion anyway the way they were pushing him, I'm glad that it at least happened in this insanely farcical way that might end up ruining the rest of his career if we're lucky.
To be honest, I'll take Dolph Ziggler holding the WHC for an hour over Jack Swagger holding the WHC for 3 months.

·
Registered
534 Posts
At least he isn't/ cant be a Grand Slam Champion.

The only ones to become GSC in order are:

1. Shawn Michaels
2. Kane
3. Triple H
4. Kurt Angle
5. Chris Jericho
6. Eddie Guerrero
7. Rob Van Dam
8. Booker T
9. Jeff Hardy
10. John Bradshaw Layfield

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It was an absolutely horrible title win. WWE was (kayfabe) making a huge deal with Barrett winning the WWE Title at last year's Survivor Series with the help of the ref John Cena, this is a lot worse. Ziggler won by from the help of the ref, by disqualification, even though he really lost the match as the new ref came out. Total bullshit. Ziggler is good, but he doesn't deserve it yet :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts