Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
AVALONS #1 FAN/ AEW REVIEW BO$$
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last weeks episode did 282k views in a week the lowest views thus far for elevation.

Welcome back to another episode of Elevation!! It's Monday night so you know what that means!!! As always I'll be grading matches on a 5 star scale which includes half stars. I'll be grading based on ...

•Technical execution
•Psychology/Storytelling
•Overall entertainment value

(for a frame of reference on grading)

0= absolute burning garbage
.5= hot garbage
1=unwatchable
1.5=dismal
2=underwhelming
2.5=not great
3= watchable
3.5=not bad at all
4=great match worth watching
5= absolute banger

(Added description at request by fans of these reviews)

MIRO vs Will Allday

Miro looking like a beast showcasing his power and dominance. Allday sells well and has a decent look. Match going on too long imo should been a quicker squash. Game over finish for Miro. RATING 3.5/5

ABADON vs Ryo mizunami

Abadon is very clunky tbh I'm not a fan of hers shes still a step slow. Mizunami doesn't have good chemistry with ABADON. Abadon continuing to slim down a bit but yeah not a great wrestler. Surprise win for ABADON with the cemetary driver ....but she could barely hold RYO up and delivered it crappily. RATING 2/5

Jon Moxley vs Andrew Palace

Palace is a decent worker, looks like an in shape janela relative lol. Moxley haming it up lol snow angel. Moxley just outclassing Palace with technical wtestling and the basics. Moxley getting violent with strikes.ooh palace accidentally nails mox with a running back elbow to the face. Mox wins via rear naked choke.RATING 3.5/5

10 vs D3

10 in excellent shape and really has grown in the ring. Looking dominant and explosive.D3 selling well and is a good athlete just stupid fucking look lol.yeah nice dominant squash full Nelson finish for 10. I'm so glad he ditched the ugly ripcord clothesline, the new finisher helps sell his strength.RATING 3.5/5

Orange Cassidy vs VSK

not impressed with this comedic exchange very bland imo. Not a fan of VSK......well he just had an ok counter to the orange punch but beach break its over win for OC. RATING 3/5

Hughes Bros vs FTR

Cash bullying early looking crisp. Dax aggressive and on point, FTR always puts on near flawless matches. Hughes bros are great workers very polished everytime I've seen them in AEW I've been impressed. Great back and forth match in enjoying. Oh spike piledriver finish by FTR.RANKING 4/5

Madison Wrenkowski vs Nyla Rose

Jesus christ vicki is nails on a chalkboard lol. Madison taking it to Nyla early looking pretty good. Nyla taking over overpowering Madi looking dominant. Nyla stops the pinfall at 2 ,then beastbomb finish. RATING 3.5/5

Baron Black vs Nick Comoroto

Comoroto is a monster just a physical guy that exudes power. Tossing black around with ease and black is far from small. Black is a great worker always solid and brutal chops. Goddamn blacks head bounces off the mat after a brutal powerbomb and thats it win for Comoroto. RATING 4/5 yeah black legit git injured likely a concussion hope hes ok that was nasty.

Red Velvet vs Reka Tahaka

Reka looks different but not a fan of the outfit. Reka is a decent worker but still a bit green.Decent match pretty good action.spinning heel kick finish for Velvet. RATING 3/5

Private Party vs Duke Davis & Ganon Jones

Wasnt really impressed with davis & ganon in their first outting but let's see how they do tonight. Both Davis and Ganon are 6'5 big boys were tag champs out if Pittsburg. Some entertaining heelish shenanigans by private party. Yeah Davis is ok but still a few missteps. Ganon is kinda herky jerky ah kinda botched timing on the fuckery finish not a fan.RATING 3/5

Willow Nightingale vs Thunder Rosa

Willow bit chunky but is pretty solid technically. Solid action not bad match. Willow a bit slow in some of the sequences. Rosa looking good as always. Fire thunder driver finish for Rosa. RATING 3/5

Dillon McQueen vs QT Marshall

I like McQueen's music but not a fan if his look whatsoever is this guy the white sonny kiss???....let's hope not.The prized student of the nitemare factory huh??? Let's see this is his AEW debut. I love the Factory music. Lol love the cody killer belt. Nice QT paintbrushes McQueen lol. Qt brutal chops in the corner. McQueen can sell well but has yet to do much offensively. QT looking great tonight oh shit legit busted McQueen's nose open. McQueen is a decent worker I'll give him that hes no sonny kiss but some fuckery and Diamond cutter finish but no QT pulls him up and hits the ugliest crossroads ever lol.RATING 3.5/5pos match they setup the steps and QT piledrives Mcqueen.

Gunn Club vs Chaos Project

Colton seems to be slowly putting on muscle but still the smallest Gun by far lol. Austin unloads his air pistols on Luthor who retorts with a finger point to his head. Awww some stupid middkeschool arguing thua match is starting off poorly. Colton getting better I enjoy the almost cartoonish double team moves like the slam dunk splash. Only redeeming quality of Luthor is the abuse of Serpentico lol. Decent match but nothing special. Match dragging on too long now Colt 45 finish for gunn club. 2.5/5

The blade and Matt Hardy vs Colt Cabana and Alan Angels

Nice zoom in on bunnys ass lol. Ref allows 2 members from each stable to stay at ringside. Blade looking aggressive going after Angels. Colt looking good hes generally pretty solid but just not a guy I'm a huge fan of. Decent action not a banger but Colt and Blade working well together. Hardy looking pretty good. Brawl between the stables outside,blade interferes and hardy hits the leech sub finish.RATING 3/5

Overall a solid night of action with a few lackluster bouts but mostly very watchable. Only thing is there was no spotlight of any kind or segments of any kind it was straight wrestling and felt alot like DARK because of it. They need to keep elevation more refined cmon guys.

Drew's must see 3 are

•10 vs D3
10 is progressing nicely it's time to ditch the mask and reach his full potential.
•Hughes Bros vs FTR
Just a good solid wrestking match you will enjoy.
•Baron Black vs Nick Comoroto
Comoroto legit bounces Blacks head off the canvas.....brutal you've got to witness.

(Nyla rose match and QT matches are pretty good too)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
so what exactly is Dark Elevation turned to be ?
what's the difference from normal Dark

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would say Elevation has more competitive matches and more character stuff, while normal Dark has more pure squashes and meme commentary
so could Elevation work as the next show on TNT
or it's not at this level

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
so could Elevation work as the next show on TNT
or it's not at this level
Nah. At the end of the day, Dark and Dark Elevation are still very similar and feature a lot of green talent.

This is an interesting show for me but definitely not interesting to people who might skip AEW to watch the news or reality TV

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Abadon is great.

I hope she bites The Big Show.
Yeah I liked The Abadon/Mizunami match a lot more than the OP did.

What I didn't like was the commentary where they implied that she was an edgy goth wearing face paint like Darby Allin and Sting, when I think she's supposed to be an actual monster

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome stuff - thanks mate

any ’story’ stuff like videos and so on?
No there want it was straight wrestling you must have missed the bottom where I mentioned that.

"Overall a solid night of action with a few lackluster bouts but mostly very watchable. Only thing is there was no spotlight of any kind or segments of any kind it was straight wrestling and felt alot like DARK because of it. They need to keep elevation more refined cmon guys."

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I liked The Abadon/Mizunami match a lot more than the OP did.

What I didn't like was the commentary where they implied that she was an edgy goth wearing face paint like Darby Allin and Sting, when I think she's supposed to be an actual monster
ABADON sucks lol. I don't think anyone this day and age believes she's actually a monster. Paul Wight has a very monotone voice that's my problem. Schiavone is a horrible play by play guy he calls the wrong moves and stutters alot.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what exactly is Dark Elevation turned to be ?
what's the difference from normal Dark
People like you are the exact reason I started doing these so I hope you enjoyed the effort lol.

Normal DARK is like a developemental/house show. Theres alot more squashes and unrefined talent that gets tryouts and ring time. There isn't a ton of segments or storylines but when there are they generally play out entirely on DARK or the blow off match happens on Elevation.None of the storys are linked to Dynamite.Contracted talent use DARK to get wins heading into dynamite. Match quality varies greatly.

Elevation is the actual B show. The matches are put together to spotlight upcoming talent and to see if the newer guys can work with some of the established talent.The Talents you see here are generally pretty polished and each week features much more main roster talent. They have a weekly spotlight video package on one wrestler or tagteam that gives a look into their lives. There's also a sitdown interview segment where Paul Wight interviews talent. The format of the show basically mirrors dynamite with the promo/match percentage and you get storylines that intertwine with Dynamite.You see storys from Dynamite bleed to elevation and vice versa and us connected to the ppvs as well. Tk has mentioned booking Elevation has been great practice for the upcoming show but Elevation is not the 2nd TNT show.

I've done reviews for every Elevation so people who don't want to watch the whole show can keep up with storys and stuff and even watch matches based on my recommendations. The 1st 2 were posted in the Dark section but the rest all have there own thread I'd appreciate some feedback. I'd like to think I'm a consistent judge lol.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2 accidental legit injurys occured

Comoroto drilled baron blacks head on a brutal fucking powrtbomb,most likely a concussion.

Qt marshall busted open McQueen's nose

Oh and Palace accidentally legit hit mox with a running back elbow flush on the face.....no injury but you know it hurt like a bitch.

·
rasslin
6,710 Posts
ABADON sucks lol. I don't think anyone this day and age believes she's actually a monster. Paul Wight has a very monotone voice that's my problem. Schiavone is a horrible play by play guy he calls the wrong moves and stutters alot.
No one believed that Kane was actually a monster either but if JR went on and on about it being a "phycological tactic" it would ruin the character.

It would've been better if they said nothing at all but instead they downplayed the character and made it look silly. Which is insane to me considering this is a universe where this happened:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No one believed that Kane was actually a monster either but if JR went on and on about it being a "phycological tactic" it would ruin the character.

It would've been better if they said nothing at all but instead they downplayed the character and made it look silly. Which is insane to me considering this is a universe where this happened:
Kane is like lightyears away from ABADON let's be real here in pretty much every category......He also had super powers like fire and lightning and all kinds of hokey shit lol. I think ABADON needs to be more mankind cerebral psychopath then some supernatural monster like kane.

I think it's the right thing to explain it as an intimidation tactic and that shes just fucking nuts. Trying to pull off a legit monster angle would only lead to god awful horse shit like you see with the fiend. Teleporting hardy was dumb as fuck even AEW admits that and the character is entirely gone now lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
2 accidental legit injurys occured

Comoroto drilled baron blacks head on a brutal fucking powrtbomb,most likely a concussion.

Qt marshall busted open McQueen's nose

Oh and Palace accidentally legit hit mox with a running back elbow flush on the face.....no injury but you know it hurt like a bitch.
Black got fucking drilled damn.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kane is like lightyears away from ABADON let's be real here in pretty much every category......He also had super powers like fire and lightning and all kinds of hokey shit lol. I think ABADON needs to be more mankind cerebral psychopath then some supernatural monster like kane.

I think it's the right thing to explain it as an intimidation tactic and that shes just fucking nuts. Trying to pull off a legit monster angle would only lead to god awful horse shit like you see with the fiend. Teleporting hardy was dumb as fuck even AEW admits that and the character is entirely gone now lol.
Yeah no one is buying she's a zombie or whatever she's trying to convey. The mankind thing I totally agree with, that's the way to go. But I agree she isn't a great wrestler either that finisher was ugly.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah no one is buying she's a zombie or whatever she's trying to convey. The mankind thing I totally agree with, that's the way to go. But I agree she isn't a great wrestler either that finisher was ugly.
Yeah she struggled to hold Ryo up and the execution was just bad. If that's her finisher she needs to workout and get some arm strength.

·
rasslin
6,710 Posts

Everyone on the AEW roster is light years away from an attitude era star but the principle of getting a character to work stays the same regardless of who is playing the character.

Im not talking about a supernatural gimmick because wrestling has enough of those and they’re all ridiculously stupid. Honestly if they didn’t reference her look at all it would’ve been better than what they did, sometimes it’s better to leave the audience guessing than providing an answer that is underwhelming and harmful to the character.

I’d much rather think
“What is wrong with this girl, is she mentally ill?” “Was she in some terrible accident that causes her to behave this way?” “Does she think she’s a zombie that died” hell even “is AEW doing a supernatural gimmick again?” Is better than “she’s a girl trying to psych out her opponent”

1 - 20 of 28 Posts