Wrestling Forum banner

Does WWE need a Rival again.

4K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Synax 
#1 · (Edited)
Will there ever be a serious competitor for WWE like WCW or ECW again.

If TNA fold.

Or is things like Monday night wars all past,

#4 ·
Not unless Bill Gates decides to take over the wrestling world, I firmly believe that nobody will ever be able to overtake the WWE unless someone with more money than them steps in, or they go bankrupt. Just how I see it.

TNA has the option of course to build itself up, but I see WWE always holding that spot until the day they go out of business. TNA will remain the alternative as well most other promotions. Not necessarily a bad thing for any of them.

#5 ·
Of course WWE needs a rival. Competition is good.

Will they ever get any competition the level of WCW again? I just can't see it.

#10 ·
Which can be sort of difficult. I'll admit a lot of indie guys are loyal to their companies, some say they don't want to step up onto the bigger stage, but when the option rears it's head, you think about the future, there is money being in the major leagues.

That's something WCW did have over Vince, money, and then you had guys who would jump over there, but they would also leave when they being misused and they jumped back and forth. It was the alternative for talent, in that same vein, it's the same way today, just with so many more alternatives.

I think anyone, doesn't matter how loyal you are to your company, if you have the option to go to the WWE, or generally anywhere to get more money, you're going to take it, because that's where the money is. So I would find that difficult for any company to go with, unless WWE royally screwed someone over big time, and they jumped over to the other company, I would say there is of course only one option for you in mainstream media. It's either that or the indies. Sort of the position TNA is in now, if WWE doesn't use them right, they go to TNA, if TNA doesn't use them right, they go to the WWE. Same thing took place in the Monday Night Wars.

#14 · (Edited)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any major wrestling promotions in America (ones that would have been a threat to WWF) were created after Vince K. McMahon took over. The ones that gave him trouble were the existing companies.

In the early nineties it got to a point where WCW (formerly Georgia Championship Wrestling) was their only real competition.

ECW was there, but wasn't competitive. Neither is TNA today. No new powerhouse promotion has been created since Vince took over. All of Vince's real competition went out of business.

For another Monday Night War, something that hasn't been done in the time that McMahon took over will have to happen- a new juggernaut promotion will have to come reasonably close to WWE's level. TNA is a new company that is only about 10 years old. Could they do what no other new promotion has done and come reasonably close to WWE's level? Looking at history, it seems like an unthinkable task.

#15 ·
Desperately. But it's never going to happen. Vince will swat any company that even begins to look like it will threaten WWE as much as WCW did. He'll not allow that to happen again for as long as he lives. And that competition CERTAINLY isn't going to come from Total Nonstop Releasing.

#16 ·
The first thing WWE produced without the worry of competition was The Invasion story-line. I feel that makes my stance clear.

Won't happen though, WWE are top f the mountain and will start avalanches if anyone even gets close. And fans will complain about the WWE product but suddenly become massive fanboys the moment competition like TNA are mentioned.

#17 ·
Any group or company willing to go the distance as a competitor against the WWE will be setting themselves up for failure,
WWE is a behemoth.

#18 · (Edited)
I don't even see why there is need for competetition. The WWE has got one of the best rosters (talent wise) in ages and match quality wise this is one of the best years. I never enjoyed the monday nighy wars since it was nothing but overbooking trying to get the higher ratings. Look at tna and aces&eights now. New people joining in.left and right blabla. I'm the leader dadada. Fuck that shit. Never enjoyed nwo/outsiders/wolfpac/blue nwo or whatever the fuck they were called. I want simple yet good storylines and nothing completly unrealistic. If we were in the middle of a ratings war right now do you know how raw would look? First the shield and the wyatts would join forces. Then the nexr week Punk would come out and claim he,s the mastermind behind the whole thing. Then the next week Barret and nexus would join in and Barret would say this is the bigger picture we were talking about. This would setup Team wwe led by Cena w/hhh&steph vs team outsiders (nexus,Wyatts&shield w/vince. During the match Cena would turn on team wwe and join forces with the outsiders. I mean some of you may like that crap but I dont and never have. I want good match quality and good feuds that doesn't involve a major swerve every week. As for competetition the only way is if a multi billionaire starts a wrestling company and even then it will take decades before they touch the WWE.

#19 ·
I don't even see why there is need for competetition. The WWE has got one of the best rosters (talent wise) in ages and match quality wise this is one of the best years. I never enjoyed the monday nighy wars since it was nothing but overbooking trying to get the higher ratings. Look at tna and aces&eights now. New people joining in.left and right blabla. I'm the leader dadada. Fuck that shit. Never enjoyed nwo/outsiders/wolfpac/blue nwo or whatever the fuck they were called. I want simple yet good storylines and nothing completly unrealistic. If we were in the middle of a ratings war right now do you know how raw would look? First the shield and the wyatts would join forces. Then the nexr week Punk would come out and claim he,s the mastermind behind the whole thing. Then the next week Barret and nexus would join in and Barret would say this is the bigger picture we were talking about. This would setup Team wwe led by Cena w/hhh&steph vs team outsiders (nexus,Wyatts&shield w/vince. During the match Cena would turn on team wwe and join forces with the outsiders. I mean some of you may like that crap but I dont and never had. I want good match quality and good feuds that doesn't involve a major swerve every week. As for competetition the only way is if a multi billionaire starts a wrestling company.and even then it will take decades before they touch the WWE.
lol can u imagine though?

#24 ·
It would be brilliant. Sadly, TNA will not be the place to do it. Despite the general opinion of "WWE fans", I think TNA COULD have rivalled WWE. It was the alternative. The ring shape, the X-Division, it was so different and original that I myself was drawn to it in I think 2009 over WWE. But now TNA has basically been moulded into a WWE style company, and when you're copying something that's on a much higher scale than you, you can never catch up.

#25 ·
The only way it could happen is if someone close to the wealth of Vince wanted to start a promotion, and not only that but truly stick to their guns and be able to go buck-for-buck with him. A lot of the power WWE has comes in the fact that they have money: they can sue you easily, they can pay the workers better, they've got a million different organizations in their pocket, they can buy-out talent/venues/etc. A new company would have to be capable of one-upping even Vince McMahon in the business world when he rightfully tries to pull stunts that would put a company out of business (or make them look bad). They'd have to be able to secure a TV deal on a big network and not succumb to the almost instantaneous buyout that would occur. The problem is fans. You can't put on a show to compete with WWE when you have no history, no fans, etc. Sure, you might get a lot of buzz in the beginning that would sell tickets, but you certainly can't plan to go out on the road on a WWE-esque schedule (which is pretty much necessary to compete).

#28 ·
The only way it could happen is if someone close to the wealth of Vince wanted to start a promotion, and not only that but truly stick to their guns and be able to go buck-for-buck with him.
Money isn't the answer. Turner & Dixie's daddy are both worth MANY times what Vince is. At this point, Vince has a stranglehold on the whole thing. Deals with networks etc. When somebody is THAT bedded in, there's just no shifting them.

The only way WWE can fall from their position is if WWE ROYALLY fuck themselves somehow. That sure ain't happening for as long as Vince is alive.

How a knuckleheaded bodybuilder fairs in running such a massive company when Vince is dead and no longer a call away from giving advice remains to be seen.

#27 ·
I have always wondered what would happen if ROH got some crazy investors. ROH manages to let the wrestling do the talking, so booking isn't even a HUGE issue. None the less, they go from strength to strength with their booking skills each year. They constantly are able to bring new talent out of the wood work, make full use of a small enough roster and have some epic PPVs. If you got a big money company investing in them, they could def be a problem.

#31 ·
They sure don't. Without the attitude era and the wrestlers from the past, it will be nothing more than team Johnny Vs team teddy and WM28. It will be a clean wrestling match. 10 years ago if they had issues with someone or another team, hell broke loose which made it more realistic. Invasion, look how many weapons were used and how unscripted it looked. Just don't think wwe has what it takes today to do something that entertaining again when it comes to rivals

#32 ·
WCW only was competition because Bischoff spent a billionaire into the ground and rode one hot angle to death. Then the chickens came home to roost on the financials. Anyone with that much cash and a prime TV slot could get lucky like he did. Nobody else is going to spend that kind of money on a wrestling company again. Vince just needs to keep WWE afloat and he will never have competition. This of course sucks from a creative standpoint because as long as certain ratings and financials are met there is no big incentive to shake anything up.

#36 ·
Competition brings better quality, but unless WWE implodes I don't see any Monday Night Wars like rivalry anytime soon. Like one poster said though, once Vince is no longer around to make sure things are going smoothly we'll see how the bodybuilder and daddy's girl handle things, If Shane O'Mac's heart was into it, it would only help things, but can't fault the guy for wanting to be his own man.

Speaking of TNA, I still grin thinking about when they switched to Mondays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.