Wrestling Forum banner

Does WWE bring back General Managers?

1101 20
I think yes.

Especially with the brands completely being split up again and knowing that there's no way the McMahons are going to be on TV all that much going forward. My guess for the General Manager of Raw would be Hogan or something along the lines of that and the General Manager of SmackDown would be Edge or HBK.
Reactions: jpickens
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
5,026 Posts
They had it before when it made sense but now since there isn't really much of a brand split, it doesn't really make sense to bring it back. Both shows even had Commissioners at one point and look where that went. :lmao

· Registered
275 Posts
This argument is fine but most people forget one very important factor in making a general manager mean anything: storytelling.

You can't just throw someone on TV and call them a general manager to justify how matches are made behind the scenes. It needs to mean something and the only way that is going to happen is if you have the storytelling aspect there. A GM needs to be introduced for a reason. They need to be given a lot of airtime, just like Heyman and Bischoff were in the past.

Of course, this will never happen now (not with insane hard work at least) because these draft lotteries that WWE hold now are so far from what they used to be. What happened to both GM's being on stage turning a ball dispenser to "randomly" choose who moved to their brand? People having throwaway matches on a RAW to decide which brand gets a pick was pointless and made SmackDown look even worse because it didn't happen on that show.

Somehow, WWE have managed to move away from a TV-14 product into the realms of family friendly but have found a way to take themselves more seriously - which is why all the best stories from yesteryear are leaps and bounds above the ones we see now - they weren't taking themselves seriously.

I really wish I could add more right now but the minute this topic comes up, it is a mental minefield of memories that flood back from all the bullshit storytelling decisions that have been made since these constant brand-splits have meant absolutely nothing.

· Registered
464 Posts
Big no from me. It is tired played out concept that was a lazy crutch for years. Look at the most recent, the Authority was dragged out and took up too much TV time, then you had the energy sucking Constable Boring Corbin and Paige that added nothing to anything and was either channel changing stuff (Corbin) or out of place completely (Paige).

The Authority figure storyline peaked with Austin vs Vince because it was fresh and was well executed over time turning into a long standing feud. Anything after just seemed a lazy convenience plot that was done to death.

WWE managed fine with a off screen president for years and relied on the strengths of its then talents and characters, something WWE should be looking at today rather than insisting on the brand is bigger than the performer. Make stars for goodness sakes.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
The issue of the matter is, if the shows were written and designed with more balance in mind to accompany a gm, then a gm might be useful, but today there of no use because decisions are made on a whim by Vince McMahon anyway. They're back to letting you know only McMahons make the real decisions, as we saw when KO got fired.

A gm is designed to be a justice decider. Right now there is nobody short of striped officials that get knocked over like bowling pins that decides the issue of justice. It's chaos right now; Sasha Banks is going around swinging chairs with no punishment. Bray Wyatt is sneak attacking people left & right. The company is going for shock tactics in their script and they don't want any gm in the way of that.

· tombstone blues
17,249 Posts
THE GREATEST RETURN IN RAW HISTORY

THE GREATEST MYSTERY IN RAW HISTORY CONTINUES

Hornswoggle was just a patsy

Only MAGGLE knows the REAL TROOF :side:

· Registered
4,074 Posts
The GM role kinda not work if Boss role (Vince, Steph, Triple H) keep interfere although the GM can handle it. The top table (Wick style) only needed when the GM can't handle or settle down the situation.

· Registered
#Free316
11,810 Posts
Depends on how it´s done, and who it is. If it´s Vickie Guerrero, then HELL YEAH! ..I can even go with Teddy long (Tag team match, playa!). But Johnny Ace, Anonymous GMs,Guest hosts as GM, Angle the way he was used, Corbin etc. Hell no.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.