Wrestling Forum banner

Does Wrestling Observer have a bias against WWE?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not trying to cause mark wars, just asking the question. Do you believe Wrestling Observer, so Meltzer, Alvarez etc, has a bias against WWE & pro AEW? Or do you think they are fair in their assessments?

·
Butter My Arse
12,563 Posts
Not trying to cause make wars, just asking the question. Do you believe Wrestling Observer, so Meltzer, Alvarez etc, has a bias against WWE & pro AEW? Or do you think they are fair in their assessments?
I’m afraid you’re in for a shock.

IMHO, no bias. I just think they’ve been jaded by the WWE product for so long that when a new alternative comes around they feel more invigorated by that. I’m not sure if they review Smackdown or not…but reviewing RAW every week has got to push the limit.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
6,105 Posts
They know their audience, it makes sense to appeal to it.

The fact WO has only given one WWE main roster match a 5-star match review on their self-parodying scoring system since 1997 tells the story.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They know their audience, it makes sense to appeal to it.

The fact WO has only given one WWE main roster match a 5-star match review on their self-parodying scoring system since 1997 tells the story.
Which match was that? Taker Shawn at Mania I assume? To be fair I can’t think of many matches in WWE you would class as perfect. I think Angle & Benoit at RR03 was 5 stars though imo.

·
rasslin
8,584 Posts
Absolutely.

Watch their review of stadium stampede and compare that to them shitting on The Fiend (before the supernatural stuff) for being silly.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
6,105 Posts
Get ready for 6 (possibly 7) star matches for Danielson in AEW.
The fact that one of the first matches to break the 5-star scale was given 6.25 stars will never not be hilarious to me. Not 6, or even 5.5 which I probably could have tolerated, but 6.25.

Which match was that? Taker Shawn at Mania I assume? To be fair I can’t think of many matches in WWE you would class as perfect.
Pfft, those matches got a measly 4.75 stars. CM Punk vs John Cena got the full 5.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The average WWE fan doesn't know anything exists outside of WWE. The Observer caters to the people who aren't drinking Vince's kool aid. So to answer the question, yes it does.

Reactions: SayWhatAgain!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Absolutely! Meltzer has hated WWE for years and Vince has hated him as well.

Look at Meltzer here on the Donahue Show with Vince almost 30 years ago discussing the WWF sex scandals.

·
Hiding in the shadows
2,208 Posts
Absolutely not and besides, what else have they had to cover the last 20 years besides WWE? Do they have more enthusiasm or excitement with AEW? Sure, one can argue, but it doesn't change the fact they are a news site first and foremost. Meltzer has been doing this in paper-form (still does) before the internet was a thing.

Dave Scherer of PWInsider, had a very "negative" opinion of AEW throughout most of their history, but even he now admits that AEW is doing much more "right" than anything they're doing "wrong". With the additions of CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and Adam Cole to AEW's roster, he's even more enthusiastic about the company going forward. Most of the negative opinions of WWE that are talked about here on these boards, are much of the same opinions as Dave Scherer has now. Booking decisions, storyline issues, up and coming talent, making future stars, shying away from wrestling, etc. Does that make his website "biased" against WWE too? No and like a lot of users here, opinions have changed.

There's only three wrestling news websites that have been around the longest, are the most trust-worthy and the "go-to" for all news and rumors. The first, obviously in question, is F4WOnline, second, is PWTorch and third, PWInsider (it's earlier offshoot as 1wrestling). Anything you see on other "newz dirt-sheetz/websitez", come from one of these three sources. Are these three websites always first to report on a breaking story or rumor? No, but their individual reputations with wrestling promotions and long-time standing within the IWC, depends on their reporting being accurate, not first.

Facts, figures and numbers is what should be your focus. Look at things objectively, put that into perspective and form your own opinions. Not everyone has to be on your side to be "right" and not everyone on the other side, has to be "wrong".

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't listen to or take notice of Meltzer much, Alvarez even less. They do seem high on AEW and jaded on WWE - which is the same place I'm at right now. Mileage will vary on how biased this is.

Meltzer was a big supporter of PWG, couple that with his love of Japanese wrestling and it's no surprise he's as high on certain AEW talent as he is. The Bucks, Omega, Lucha Bros - this is the fast paced, no selling, all action style he's into. He's also got better contacts in AEW which makes a difference.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think they're pretty neutral on WWE and pro-AEW but it's not like they won't report bad stuff about AEW /shrug

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Smiling Bliss
4,902 Posts
to put in perspective he has never given a Kurt Angle match 5 stars. purely because they were in wwe.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Sure it does but it's not biggie, it caters to a specific audience who may not be 100% anti-WWE, but like to paint WWE as the villain and AEW or other companies in the past as the heroes who try to vanquish Vince and Co.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,374 Posts
I shouldn't be surprised at the poll results here.

Seriously, doesn't the Wrestling Observer regularly praise NXT matches, AEW matches, AND NJPW matches?

Haven't they rated the matches of the current Universal Champion highly since last year, and doesn't Charlotte Flair get regularly praised too?

I'm sure that they generally appreciate good matches no matter which company that they're from.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I think his star ratings tended to be more strict during the 90s and 2000s. If HBK vs Undertaker WM 25 happened today, it would be 5 stars. Back in 09 Dave gave it 4 and a half or something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts