Wrestling Forum banner

Does US get free PPVs?

4418 Views 47 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  NoLeafClover
Hi, Just wondering, in the UK we get I think about 6-8 free Pay-Per-Views a year on Sky Sports, does the US have the same or do you have to pay for all 14?
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hint is in the name. Pay-per-view.

We're quite lucky here in the UK when it comes to things like this.
Sweet. Does anyone know why? I mean, even though less people would watch the event, surely they make a lot of cash with the buys they do get?

· Registered
421 Posts
We dont exactly get them free. Not like we did back in the early 2000s when they were on 4.

We still have pay anything up to 60 quid (HD) a month for the channels. We get 6, on Sky Sports although we only had 5 last year. So it's not exactly getting them for free. And then for the big one and the other 100000000 ppvs now days, we have pay 15 quid to watch some pretty bad shows. (that is unless mummy and daddy pay for it for you)

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Nope. Pay-Per-View here breaks it down to $44.95 (SD) and $54.95 (HD) for each event. That's why I download them the day after.

· Registered
51 Posts
Wrestling isn't an institution in the UK as it is in the US. I think they probably weigh it up and decide to let the UK have a few free because if the UK had to pay for all ppv's then the buyrates would be tiny. By allowing a select few ppv's to be shown for free, it allows for increased exposure and more loyalty when it comes to the major ppv's like wrestlemania.

· Registered
6,121 Posts
One WWE PPV here in the USA is 2/3rds of my total cable and internet bill a month.

WWE really needs to have it's own channel here in the US that you can subscribe to and get the PPV's. They are out of their minds thinking a vast majority of fans are going to buy 13 PPV's and spend nearly $700 bucks a year on them. I understand the UK should get some for free as they start at around 1am and that's nuts.

I went to the Rumble and my ticket was 15 bucks cheaper than watching the PPV. What the hell does THAT tell you? And I got 3 hours of silence and not Cole yelling about the Miz's nutsack.

WWE really should either put that WWE channel together and include PPV's or subcontract their PPV'S out to subscribers of HBO, Showtime or some other premium US channel. My final idea is to offer the PPV'S in a package deal. The top I would pay would be $300 and I wouldn't expect that to cover wrestlemania.

· Registered
6,098 Posts
Wrestling isn't an institution in the UK as it is in the US. I think they probably weigh it up and decide to let the UK have a few free because if the UK had to pay for all ppv's then the buyrates would be tiny. By allowing a select few ppv's to be shown for free, it allows for increased exposure and more loyalty when it comes to the major ppv's like wrestlemania.
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with this. WWE has a pretty good fanbase over here, they always sell out shows, do OK in the ratings etc (though everybody dismisses low WWE ratings by saying its unpopular, not considering the fact that The UK is considerably smaller than The US). WWE has been shown here for decades, exposure isn't an issue.

What it probably comes down to is this. In the UK, you have to pay separately for the "Sky Sports" package. Part of this covers the "free PPV's" because they're on Sky Sports and that is, in escence, "pay per view". Just on a longer monthly scale.

· Registered
421 Posts
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with this. WWE has a pretty good fanbase over here, they always sell out shows, do OK in the ratings etc (though everybody dismisses low WWE ratings by saying its unpopular, not considering the fact that The UK is considerably smaller than The US). WWE has been shown here for decades, exposure isn't an issue.

What it probably comes down to is this. In the UK, you have to pay separately for the "Sky Sports" package. Part of this covers the "free PPV's" because they're on Sky Sports and that is, in escence, "pay per view". Just on a longer monthly scale.
The ratings here are also effected by the fact the only live show is shown in the middle of the night.

What you said is corret, Sky is paid for already and the price of showing these PPVs is incorporated into your monthly payment.

· Registered
421 Posts
How much is Sky Sports per Month? Just to use an example I pay $10 extra for HBO at the moment.. I think it jumps to $17 after a promo ends.
I pay for standard Sky not HD, about £50 which includes everything, Sports, Kids, Movies etc. And it's in 2 rooms. so it's 40 a month and 10 to have it in my bedroom as well.

HD is about another 10 on top.

· Registered
5,615 Posts
HAHAHA i WISH we got free WWE PPVs here! The only ones my dad and I order are Wrestlemania and Summerslam....everything else i find on *cough* stream *cough*.

· Registered
817 Posts
It's also $50 over there if i'm not mistaken. Its £15 or less for PPV's (WM, Royal Rumble etc) here when they're actually PPV which works out at about $30 in the US. Crazy..

Edit: Now actually reading the thread I notice people have already made similar points. My bad

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Wrestlemania is actually £20, but yeah. And is Sky Sports really that much? I Have all the channel sets in HD in most of my house and I don't think our bill is that much, I think its about £100 a month.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.