Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I haven't seen much of TNA but I was wondering if TNA had their own version of John Cena?

If not, why not? He is no doubt the most successful superstar of all time and draws tens of thousands to the arena every week, perhaps TNA could take a page out of WWE's book and shape a younger superstar to try and emulate Cena's achievements.

Although this would be a hard task, even the WWE has not been able to find a new star as good in the ring or on the mic as Cena.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
It will be Jeff Hardy.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I have lost count of how many times i have said that TNA need to push AJ Styles as the face of the company in the same way WWE have done with John Cena but instead we are forced to see ex WWE wrestlers like Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and Ken Anderson or ex WCW wrestlers like Sting at the forefront of the main storylines. I know Vince McMahon always got a lot of hate for pushing WWE guys over ex WCW or ECW wrestlers and it came across as biased to his own creations but what it did was make WWE look stronger than WCW and ECW in kayfabe terms and TNA should have done the same.

Of course Sting, Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy are all much bigger names than AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode but what should have happened was after the initial push upon the first year of their TNA runs for the ex WWE, WCW and ECW wrestlers they should have put over the TNA originals to make TNA look strong against people coming in from other companies. When The Rock went over Chris Benoit and Booker T or Triple H went over Scott Steiner it was seen as Vince McMahon burying people who's career he didn't make but he made WWE look like they were the strongest company of all by doing this and TNA should have gone down the same route but are too obsessed by bigger names from years ago.

In the eyes of most people AJ Styles has always been the face of TNA because to TNA is very much their version of Sting in WCW as their franchise and their most loyal employee but yet TNA never push him as such long term. As soon as Sting came in he became the main focus and the when Kurt Angle came in it was all Sting and Kurt Angle, after that Booker T came in as well and was pushed hard. Later on we saw Jeff Hardy, Ken Anderson, Rob Van Dam and to a lesser extent Ric Flair all appear which saw AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and the entire X Division all become side shows whilst Christopher Daniels was actually released at one point. I would push AJ Styles hard from Bound For Glory all the way through to Bound For Glory in 2012 in the same way WWE did with John Cena in between WrestleMania 20 and 21 and then build the company around him as he is reliable, hard working, great in the ring, loves TNA and would do all he could to help TNA grow whereas Sting, Kurt Angle and Ric Flair are not long term options and Jeff Hardy can't be trusted.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi guys, I haven't seen much of TNA but I was wondering if TNA had their own version of John Cena?

If not, why not? He is no doubt the most successful superstar of all time and draws tens of thousands to the arena every week
Tens of thousands? Look at the attendence figures of the Cena reign, they are almost halved compared to 10 years ago. No superstar draws that many anymore. Modern wrestling fans dont pay $30+ just to see 1 specific person, its the show itself that draws.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Who is John Cena?

(that's the average fan on the street who doesn't know who the guy is unlike Hogan, The Rock, or Austin)

As for Cena in TNA, TNA needs a Rock or Austin type that catches fire and improves the company. John Cena has done nothing but decrease WWE business

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You mean a top face that alienates a should-be target demographic and never loses, creating a lack of credible top heels and an overall stagnant midcard/main event? No, thank the fuck christ.

If not, why not?
Because it's boring from an entertainment standpoint. From a business standpoint, it prevents WWE from opening up revenue streams potentially equal or larger than what Cena merchandise brings in. Let's face it... the top face is only as good as the top heel that put him over. If no top heels are around, no stars are being made, potential profit is being lost.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Really ? Really yet another wwe comparison.

Pathetic these forums have become.

Who know a guy with a strong body that walks out to the ring to a rap song and salutes the crowd. Who know that was a guy that no one is comparable to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.