Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honest question.

The shows consist out of almost nothing but matches and a few in-ring promos, that lead to matches.

I see no stories. Nothing to follow or focus on, while watching the shows.
There is nothing happening between matches, that drives anything forward.

Have they cut the creative-team?
Is this team suspended?

If not, then i don't understand why they are being employed. Because the job they are doing, seems to have no results.

I honestly have never seen a tv-show that brings out so little emotion in me.

We have awful tv-shows here in Germany. And i'm watching almost nothing anymore besides sports. But anytime i see a glimpse of something, at least i think "wow, how stupid" or it's so cheesy, that it's funny again.

How can the WWE produce so little entertainment? What are they doing?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Honest question.

The shows consist out of almost nothing but matches and a few in-ring promos, that lead to matches.

I see no stories. Nothing to follow or focus on, while watching the shows.
There is nothing happening between matches, that drives anything forward.

Have they cut the creative-team?
Is this team suspended?

If not, then i don't understand why they are being employed. Because the job they are doing, seems to have no results.

I honestly have never seen a tv-show that brings out so little emotion in me.

We have awful tv-shows here in Germany. And i'm watching almost nothing anymore besides sports. But anytime i see a glimpse of something, at least i think "wow, how stupid" or it's so cheesy, that it's funny again.

How can the WWE produce so little entertainment? What are they doing?
Yet it brought out enough emotion in you to create on account on a online forum and post about it.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Yet it brought out enough emotion in you to create on account on a online forum and post about it.
Wow. Do you realize you're talking about two totally different types of emotional response? The Op nailed it on the head. You have to ask the question because the shows are that bad. Is there a creative team? I would say yes, but as to how capable, or creative they are, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
The whole structure is different then what I grew up with. Everything is setup so the only interesting matches happen at SS or WM, and even those end up being disappointing. I understand that they needed to change, but whatever they are doing right now, isn't working. They have a very talented roster, but they way they go about using them is terrible. The promos they use on their weekly shows do very little to advance the weak story they are telling. Many of the wrestlers on the roster are very underdeveloped, and have next to no character. And all this starts from the top, everyone is micromanaged, so you can blame the talent all you want, but this isn't their fault.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
There's a difference between a program bringing out emotion in someone intentionally as a result of good storytelling and a program that brings out anger and vitriol in someone due to how terrible it is.

By your logic, I should consider White Chicks a good movie because it pissed me off.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The question is, beyond a few bare bones angles to set up WrestleMania, is there even a need for a Creative team. Honestly the way that WWE books now they could go back to a single booker whose primary job is to come up with match finishes. That's all that is needed.

Can you even tell me in five words what each of these characters are?

Seth Freaking Rollins
Roman Reigns
Apollo Crews
Baron Corbin
John Cena
Cesaro
Sheamus
Randy Orton
Chad Gable
Jason Jordan

They have no real characters. They have no real gimmicks. They just are (mostly) happy to be there, to fight and entertain while doing so.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
There's a difference between a program bringing out emotion in someone intentionally as a result of good storytelling and a program that brings out anger and vitriol in someone due to how terrible it is.

By your logic, I should consider White Chicks a good movie because it pissed me off.

That's actually the opposite of my logic but nice try.

If it pisses you off it's still bringing out emotion in you, albeit a negative one. OP is saying the current product brings no emotion out of him whatsoever when clearly it does which is why he's creating this thread.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
That's actually the opposite of my logic but nice try.

If it pisses you off it's still bringing out emotion in you, albeit a negative one. OP is saying the current product brings no emotion out of him whatsoever when clearly it does which is why he's creating this thread.
Are you purposely trying to to misconstrue the OP's point?

Does he really have to spell out that he's talking about emotions stemming the narratives that are being presented, rather than dissatisfaction with the product?

Seems to me like you're simply trying to undermine the OP's point for...I don't even know what reason....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Are you purposely trying to to misconstrue the OP's point?

Does he really have to spell out that he's talking about emotions stemming the narratives that are being presented, rather than dissatisfaction with the product?

Seems to me like you're simply trying to undermine the OP's point for...I don't even know what reason....
Because he has a legitimate point about the WWE but the hyperbole completely undermines it.

The product has it's issues but if it creates no emotion positive or negative then he simply wouldn't watch it, he wouldn't be talking about it because he just wouldn't care.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Because he has a legitimate point about the WWE but the hyperbole completely undermines it.

The product has it's issues but if it creates no emotion positive or negative then he simply wouldn't watch it, he wouldn't be talking about it because he just wouldn't care.
Who cares how he phrased it? You're aware of the point he's making. I'm aware of the point he's making. Everybody here is aware of the point he's making.

What's point of singling out the hyperbole in his post when we're all aware of what the point he's making is? Seems like you're just trying to undermine him for the sake of undermining him.

He obviously still cares about WWE as a whole. What he's saying is that their storylines don't inspire emotion in the way that they once did.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
It's cliche to say things are worse than they've ever been but I don't think I've ever had this little investment in WWE product. As bad as recent years were, there was always at least a program or two to sink your teeth into, now there is so much product and it comes by so thick and fast you never have any time to appreciate anything. That isn't to say WWE misses every trick, they just fail to capitalise on the true potential of most of the stuff they set up.

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
The funny thing is the creative team consists of something crazy like 27+ writers last I heard, and Vince probably just shuts most if not all of their ideas down. :lol

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
2014-2015 my passion was for them to fix the show. And that is what this is, I feel people who come online are doing more cause they aren't satisfied enough, not a sign that the show intrigues them, of course those who have passion for wrestling of course it intrigues them. Its like they fix a lot of problems, but now it feels like they are getting bad ratings despite trying, while before they just didn't try at all.

But you're right. it is almost like most story lines are forgotten, maybe a few here and there where people mentioned winning or losing. Its like people want the title, but not revenge on the people, so it shows little fire. Like Balor should be gunning for Seth cause he was one injured him, he never gave him any payback for that, and they just had a PPV for people getting payback, when really it was just matches on a card.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Creative is a stretch.

It's actually a team of a couple dozen failed Hollywood writers and ex-wrestlers turned company apologists that justify the lack of creativity in the most condescending way possible, by insulting the consumer who isn't satisfied with said lack of creativity, all while being more concerned with getting themselves over with Vince, rather than getting the personalities & stories over with us, the consumers.

And on top of that, there's this guy:

He's the "creative" team's worst nightmare.

EDIT: I'd love to know where that GIF is from and what that segment was even about.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
If that's the case then why even have writers?
Because of their interactions with USA - whoever the Bonnie Hammer of 2017 is. When WWE is shopping for their next television deal, Vince cannot say:

Bonnie Hammer 2017: "Tell me Vince, what sort of creative synergy will you bring with USA? After all, characters are welcome here."

Vincent Kennedy Augustus McMahon: "Bonnie, you know how it works! We have ol' Pat on call for every television. He devises the match finishes. We found that from a creative standpoint that there was no need for what some call "writers" in the world of sports entertainment. Our universe - and its your universe too Bonnie - they have moved well past that now. Whether it is movies, or television shows, or sports entertainment the people demand realism. And that is what we will give them. You think Roman Reigns is big now? Wait until we push our next big thing. We're about to pull him up from development. His name is Jonathan Doe and he is so excited and just happy to be here. Just like we are happy to be here on USA."

Bonnie sighs and talks to an aid. Vince snickers and whispers to Paul Levesque - "Those 87 writers failed to get Roman over. I'm pleased as punch to get rid of their salaries and move profitability past break even. And if USA gives us any more of that synergy garbage, I'll tell them to Stand Back."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts