Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO: With the exception of Cena, Edge, Orton, and Nexus does the Roster seem weak to anyone else at the moment. I'm not saying they aren't talented but with big names like Undertaker, Triple H, and Chris Jericho out of the picture there is nobody around to put some of these younger guys over like they need to be. Im talking about superstars like Del Rio and Ziggler there is really nobody to put them over. I don't consider Rey Mysterio somebody that can put Del Rio over. Honestly Mysterio has been in main events but why? He has always seemed like a mid-carder to me. But I could be wrong about this because I just got back into watching wrestling again and haven't really got caught up with everything.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think saying the roster is weak is a tad misleading (in terms of talent, they might have once of the strongest lockerrooms that they've had in a while). The starpower on the roster is weaker than it has been recently, but I attribute that to WWE being reluctant to pull the trigger on guys in time for there to be an established set of young guys if/when things like multiple injuries/retirements/breaks occur in the upper levels of the card.

WWE has the talent, but is currently caught in a wierd period of needing to cultivate these talents and deal with absences.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Consider the following -

Over the past 12 Months this has happened......

Retired: HBK, Batista

Released: Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, MVP

Injured: HHH, Undertaker, CM Punk, Christian, Evan Bourne

Hiatus: Jericho

At the moment yeah, its pretty light. Younger talent is getting their time to shine, some are taking there chance others are not. I dont mind to be honest. Although i think a big event like Wrestlemania might show up the depth a little more than usual.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yet I've found the last few weeks very entertaining. Of course the world title matches have been God awful at recent PPV's but the mid card has been good.

I'd love the world title off kane but I'll be sick to my stomach when Edge is a 10 time champion! and sadly there isn't anyone else other than rookie Del Rio who should have it.

I'm not looking forward to any main events involving Miz, Orton, and especially Barrett.

So yeah the main event matches suck but the overall tv shows are better than they have been in a very long time.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
The talent is there but the star power is missing. HBK, Batista, HHH, Taker and Jericho are all out/gone/retired. That's a huge hole whether you like them all or not and none of the younger guys are anywhere near being on the same level as those listed. The task is getting the likes of the Miz, Seamus, Barrett up to or close to the same level as the current top guys in Cena, Orton, Rey etc because when the old guard is well and truly gone, that's when they are going to be stuck.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
rey is def someone who could put over del rio. he's one of the 3-4 biggest stars in the company. hopefully he doesn't tho.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Once WWE realizes it they will act on it but for now I think they feel safe.

·
Banned
7,973 Posts
No. I actually find it to be one of the best they've had in a while. It's refreshing to see the new faces and mid-carders actually being pushed and utilized. Sure, HBK, Baustisa and others are gone but the WWE has made up for that by pushing a lot of the guys like Ziggler, Miz, Drew, Sheamus, ect.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,822 Posts
The future, aka midcard, is bright. The main event, aka the present, is either very good (Raw) or at least adequate (Smackdown).

The roster is actually packed with lots of talented individuals. However, as others have stated, the star power has been diminished with so many retirements, injuries and breaks all in one period of time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don' complain , Raw is pretty good last weeks so is smackdown, plus the younger guys get tv-time.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The midcard is fantastic at the moment,which is why the Survivor Series undercard was so much better than the main event.The broken down Edge and lumbering Kane were totally overshadowed by the crisp,engergetic 25 - 30 year old mid card performers.

That's not to say things are perfect: Only The Miz,Wade Barrett and Del Rio are showing the neccessary personality and ability to connect with the audience as a character.

Jericho jobbed cleanly to Barrett,Bourne and Morrison before he went on vacation.Rey Mysterio jobbed cleanly to Alberto Del Rio.Sheamus has naturally benefited from his feud with John Cena,Triple H and Randy Orton.The other mid card performers have looked competitive against each other.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I pretty much agree with some people here. In terms of talent, this roster has actually tons of it but yeah, it does lack starpower. This is the youth movement at its peak and I'm actually surprised that even with the absence of guys like HBK, HHH, Taker, Orton, Jericho, Punk, etc, the newer guys can still manage to carry the company and even do a good job at it. Of course starpower is not built overnight, but fresh storylines and good booking will definitely do wonders for them.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't think the roster's weak I just think it's too big.
When the WWE was at it's best it wasn't because it had all the best wrestlers, it was because it was able to use the wrestlers it had. Nowadays they're stuck because there's too many people wanting their TV time.

I'd rather the WWE show some balls and drop the roster size, that way they can actually focus on pushing future stars without give screen time to people they have no intention of pushing.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I don't think the roster's weak I just think it's too big.
When the WWE was at it's best it wasn't because it had all the best wrestlers, it was because it was able to use the wrestlers it had. Nowadays they're stuck because there's too many people wanting their TV time.

I'd rather the WWE show some balls and drop the roster size, that way they can actually focus on pushing future stars without give screen time to people they have no intention of pushing.
That's not realistic. The roster is already 10-15 male wrestlers smaller than it was in 2003; in order to conduct two simultaneous tours (Raw and SD), the roster needs to be this big or bigger, otherwise injuries and retirements would leave them too shorthanded.

As for the roster...the true test of its quality and depth will be WrestleMania.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts
The talent is there but the star power is missing. HBK, Batista, HHH, Taker and Jericho are all out/gone/retired. That's a huge hole whether you like them all or not and none of the younger guys are anywhere near being on the same level as those listed. The task is getting the likes of the Miz, Seamus, Barrett up to or close to the same level as the current top guys in Cena, Orton, Rey etc because when the old guard is well and truly gone, that's when they are going to be stuck.
This. The roster isn't weak, there's just a disparity between the ME and mid card which is why there's been a mad dash to create new ME's like Miz, Sheamus, Barrett, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Consider the following -

Over the past 12 Months this has happened......

Retired: HBK, Batista

Released: Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, MVP

Injured: HHH, Undertaker, CM Punk, Christian, Evan Bourne

Hiatus: Jericho

At the moment yeah, its pretty light. Younger talent is getting their time to shine, some are taking there chance others are not. I dont mind to be honest. Although i think a big event like Wrestlemania might show up the depth a little more than usual.
MVP Released?

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
Yeah I'd say so. There won't be much star power left when HHH, Taker, Kane, and Edge all leave. Who's gonna take their place? Seamus? Swagger? Miz? lolno. And I can't say I've been too impressed with most guys on their roster either. They have some good talents, but nothing AMAZING, and they just dropped the ball on one of their more talented midcarderes (MVP).

On the other hand, you have TNA with a very good roster, but they book it even worse than the WWE. It's infuriating.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I find the Roster to be strong but slim, there just seems to be almsot no undercard and Midcard. Sure there are the Guys like Kaval and stuff who Feud but it seems to me that the Roster is kinda small at the moment.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Yes. Very weak.

Triple H isn't here. Undertaker isn't here. Batista isn't here. Shawn Michaels isn't here. Jericho isn't here.

Edge is on his last legs. Rey is on his last legs.

There is a huge lack of starpower.

You take the starpower of Sheamus, Nexus (as an entity), The Miz and Jack Swagger, you combine it and it doesn't even come near the starpower of someone like Jericho. Let alone the huge stars like Undertaker or Batista.

But it's to be expected. We're in a transitional phase. It's up to WWE to build those superstars starpower. Issue is, it normally works much better when there's more main event stars to help.

Right now, Raw has got Orton and Cena to help out the younger stars. Why is that a problem?

Because before those younger stars even become big, they've already feuded with the men who would be their big matches in the future. That kind of eliminates that fresh big match feeling we've gotten with some matches in the past.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts