Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at The WWE Roster and I always see people complaining about how the right wrestlers aren't getting pushed etc. etc.

The Way I see it is that many of these guys aren't cut out for a main event shot. Let's be honest, in the WWE Mic Skills are NEEDED, either that or have a decent size and good look. Here are a Few guys that I see get mentioned for needed Pushes.

Dolph Ziggler- This dude is terrible, can't get a crowd reaction to save his life, EVEN when he was feuding with Punk

Kofi Kingston- He probably could make it but Randy has a vendetta out against him so he's screwed.

Jack Swagger- He's shit in all aspects.

And honestly other than that there is Wade and Cody which do deserve Pushes, especially Wade. But when people say the WWE needs to make new stars, WHO THE HELL DO THEY HAVE???

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
But when people say the WWE needs to make new stars, WHO THE HELL DO THEY HAVE???
Well besides Ziggler, Barrett, and Cody you have Sandow, Ryback, and Cesaro as being three guys I'm interested in. Cesaro's an extremely talented individual and should go very far in the 'E. Sandow plays his gimmick like he's in the running for an Oscar and Ryback just needs the right feud which I've gone over extensively in the Ryback thread in the Smackdown! section if you care to check that out. Last post in there atm.

The thing is though, the WWE is making new stars. Sheamus, Punk, and Bryan to name a few.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Wade Barrett should already be a main eventer, he has IT. Cody Rhodes will be fairly soon, 2 years max. I disagree with you on Ziggler though, I think if he was handled better he could have been a Jericho type main eventer that drifts from upper midcard to main event, just because he doesn't get huge heat doesn't mean he is terrible he doesn't get much heat because he never gets mic time and never does anything that would make the audience want to boo him. Have you ever seen Dolph Ziggler attack somebody from behind and beat the shit out of them? no, they don't give the guy opportunities to get over at all, it's all about Vickie.

Kofi had a chance in late 09 but after so many burials his ship has sailed, Swagger has a bigger chance of being fired then ever being in a main event match again.

I think Ambrose will be main event bound when he is called up, having a debut angle with Foley is a very promosing sign. I'd like to think Sandow has a shot too but his gimmick screams midcard.

And honestly other than that there is Wade and Cody which do deserve Pushes, especially Wade. But when people say the WWE needs to make new stars, WHO THE HELL DO THEY HAVE???
LORD TENSAI! #YouthMovement fpalm

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm looking at The WWE Roster and I always see people complaining about how the right wrestlers aren't getting pushed etc. etc.

The Way I see it is that many of these guys aren't cut out for a main event shot. Let's be honest, in the WWE Mic Skills are NEEDED, either that or have a decent size and good look. Here are a Few guys that I see get mentioned for needed Pushes.

Dolph Ziggler- This dude is terrible, can't get a crowd reaction to save his life, EVEN when he was feuding with Punk

Kofi Kingston- He probably could make it but Randy has a vendetta out against him so he's screwed.

Jack Swagger- He's shit in all aspects.

I'm actually happy over all with who they've decided to push. Barrett and Sheamus are both great talents who have a lot to give, great looks, and enough ring savy to get by. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk may not be the faces of the company but both provide great support, great feuds and make other guys look like a million bucks. And Mark Henry should always be in the title picture, even if he isn't going to be a long term guy, he looks dangerous and he's learned how to work like a big monster.

My problem is how they've gone about doing it. They have no midcard. You bring up Ziggler and Kingston, and I never really thought either was going to be a main eventer, but what they could provide is a solid mid card where the next big names go to have engaging feuds, hot matches and make their bones. If you don't build guys like Ziggler and Kofi the same way you build guys like Owen, Piper, or Mr. Perfect, then there's no reason to care when a big up and comer like Dean Ambrose feuds with anyone in the midcard.

You also bring up mic skills. Fair enough. But if you aren't getting anyone on the mic, then they won't improve. Other than a select few like Austin or Flair, mic work is learned. You find out what gets a reaction, and then you keep doing it. Rocky Maivia not cutting it on the mic? Fine, try something different. None of the workers are getting their time on the mic to work out the kinks and to find their place.

Saying that someone "isn't cut out" for the main event leads to circular logic. Attitude Era worked because they were willing to give workers back then the chances that they don't give now.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
All those guys you mentioned have been booked horribly. Swagger gets a better reaction than Ziggler, Wade, and Cody, and he has been booked down the shitter. Could only imagine the heat he would get if he was actually booked proper.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
All those guys you mentioned have been booked horribly. Swagger gets a better reaction than Ziggler, Wade, and Cody, and he has been booked down the shitter. Could only imagine the heat he would get if he was actually booked proper.
So does Heath Slater, that doesn't mean he should be pushed. People boo Swagger because they don't want to see him.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
They boo him because he knows how to piss them off, and doesn't need to try too hard like Ziggler, Cody (not so much, anymore), and Miz. Which obviously means he's doing his job correctly and should warrant a push.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Well the main event scene consists of John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho, Alberto Del Rio, and Sheamus. That is a decent line-up. The ones who fit in with these guys the most are Cody Rhodes, Mark Henry, Christian, and Wade Barret currently.

Then we have Great Khali, Kane, Mysterio, Swagger, Big Show and Miz who are former World Champions but right now I don't want to see them in the Main Event, especially Khali, Swagger and Show.

Ambrose probably has the most main event potential out of the newer guys, so he might move up sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have to agree and they know it. Thats the reason we so many older wrestlers because the newer ones just are not catching the attention of the crowd. Cody makes me wanna change the channel. Swagger is boring. I like Ziggler but I also liked him when it was Billy Gunn doing the exact same role but more entertaining.
People complain about the same guys near the main event but honestly no one will pay to see Ryback vs Cody.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Not really.

Against popular opinion, Cody won't touch a world title in my mind.

Dude just isn't credible as any type of big-time heel.

He doesn't have that Bryan/Punk mold where you may not be giant, but you are ring-savvy as hell.

Isn't big at all, needs to put on more weight.

Only hope I see for Rhodes getting anywhere if he channels his inner-Ric Flair over night.

Anywho, only people I can see hitting the main event is Wade, Cesaro, and maybe Ryback.

Never seen Ambrose, so can't comment on him.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well, in order for them to improve their mic skills, they actually need mic time! Even backstage segments. This is what is missing from today's product. The backstage segments and the mic promos back in the day really helped tell the story.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, in order for them to improve their mic skills, they actually need mic time! Even backstage segments. This is what is missing from today's product. The backstage segments and the mic promos back in the day really helped tell the story.
Also missing:

Backstage beatdowns, Piper's Pit-esque segments, actual angles that don't involve people holding microphones

·
Registered
333 Posts
WWE need to make stars that majority wwe fans, casual and IWC, are familiar with, like (i hate rementioning the AE but i have no choice) big show kane taker HHH HBK Bret Hart booker t jericho austin rock stone cold, practically 1/3 +++ of the locker room were all household names for wrestling fans. now is just cena, orton, punk, santino, rey, undertaker, around 1/4 of the entire roster. majority of my friends who watch wrestling are casuals fyi

·
KO
5,496 Posts
People boo Swagger because they don't want to see him.
1. How the fuck do you know why people boo someone?
2. There's no such thing as go away-heat. If you don't want to see someone, you don't give them a reaction. Del Rio and Ryback can tell you about that. Swagger is a good heel, he just needs to be featured.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The greatest workers of all time all had an essence of charisma and believability in their work which helped them get over. The Rock, Steve Austin, etc. Even someone like Brock Lesnar, who isn't a particularly great talker and often botches, has this quality. People like Ziggler just don't. When a fan looks at them they see right through him - instead of seeing his character, they see a man acting.

That isn't to say he can't be a credible upper-midcarder, but no amount of practice can help people like that. If you don't have that intangible quality to your work then you need truly exceptional (as in GOAT) wrestling skills to get over as a main eventer.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
1. How the fuck do you know why people boo someone?
2. There's no such thing as go away-heat. If you don't want to see someone, you don't give them a reaction. Del Rio and Ryback can tell you about that. Swagger is a good heel, he just needs to be featured.
Calm down dear, no need to get hot.

There is a reason Jack Swagger was depushed so hard, they gave him a shot and he failed, he got abit of heat because when people saw him with the World Title they thought "What the fuck is this jobber doing with Ric Flair's belt" he is far from a good heel.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
They have plenty but the problem is they don't know how to build them up properly and slowly enough. With older guys like Guerrero, Jericho, Angle, and Benoit it worked because the company already had Austin and Rock and we knew all of them already so they were able to move up very fast. Today that's the problem WWE has and it doesn't work anymore. Cena isn't nearly the star that The Rock or Austin were so working with him isn't going to make you on the level of a Angle in 2000 working with Austin and the Rock and winning against them cleanly. The other problem is Triple H and the Undertaker won't do jobs either to any of these newer guys.

This is why the only way to make things the right way is to build them up slowly, the right way. Dolph Ziggler is a example of this but knowing WWE they will fuck up with him too. He'll never be allowed to be a real main eventer when he finally gets the ball. This isn't even WWE's fault though. The problem lies in jobbing to Cena, Brodus Clay, and seeing him booked so mediocrely for so long.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cm Punk
Daniel Bryan
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
Ceasero
hero
Cena
Ryback ( Maybe )
Slater