Wrestling Forum banner

Does the NXT crowd benefit the Wrestlers?

• YES

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • NO

Votes: 11 16.4%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is really great to see a crowd really getting behind the wrestlers on NXT.

I don't know how the wrestlers are meant to use it to their advantage because it must be difficult to gauge their response. The crowd is very smarky with the majority been teens and early 20s males. They cheer pretty much everything and it doesn't seem very genuine at all and comes across pretty phony and for the sake of it. They are going to struggle somewhat with crowd reactions at first on Raw and Smackdown and the crowd isn't going to be anywhere near as easy to please.

I imagine a large percentage of the crowd are the same people every week.

So do you think the NXT crowd is to the detriment or the betterment of the Wrestlers?

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Pretty sure the crowd is just there for WWE to make money off of tickets and actually have an atmosphere instead of dull nothingness in the background, because they bring nothing to the table in all honesty.

They're bigots, they make everything feel like a small organisation (which makes it harder for talents to gauge the reactions on the main roster, I'd think), and ultimately they don't improve anything by giving reactions that they should.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure the crowd is just there for WWE to make money off of tickets and actually have an atmosphere instead of dull nothingness in the background, because they bring nothing to the table in all honesty.

They're bigots, they make everything feel like a small organisation (which makes it harder for talents to gauge the reactions on the main roster, I'd think), and ultimately they don't improve anything by giving reactions that they should.
You verbalised everything I thought about the NXT crowd.

I think this is why they need to put the show on the road like HHH suggested.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
The NXT Crowds are fine by me. They're vocal and they have a genuine passion and love for the NXT brand and wrestlers.
They aren't all that "smarky" really. They seem to get into the spirit of things and boo the heels and cheer the faces. But that's due to the superior booking and characters in NXT compared to most of the main WWE roster.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
It's a good crowd, but it's not one that translates to the main roster. However the top NXT talents get to go on the road with the main roster and work live events in front of 'normal' crowds. So I don't think it matters that much.

·
Hug Life 'til I Die
19,011 Posts
The crowd needs to be as hot as they are for Enzo all of the time!

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,478 Posts
Not at all, just look at the ex NXT people like Rose/Emma who bring their stupid NXT gimmicks to Raw and bomb because only the smarks like their comedy jobber gimmicks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not at all, just look at the ex NXT people like Rose/Emma who bring their stupid NXT gimmicks to Raw and bomb because only the smarks like their comedy jobber gimmicks.
Perhaps more people need to learn how to have fun at a wrestling show. I can't tell you how many times I see brain dead idiots with ring side seats at Raw or SD with their heads down looking at their phones the entire show.

There's a reason why the post-Wrestlemania Raw is the best Raw of the year. It's basically an NXT show on a bigger scale.

Keep doing your thing, Full Sail.

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
Perhaps more people need to learn how to have fun at a wrestling show. I can't tell you how many times I see brain dead idiots with ring side seats at Raw or SD with their heads down looking at their phones the entire show.
I agree in spirit and think this is a valid and important point. But when I see a gimmick like what Emma was saddled with, I don't see fun. I see a wasted talent.

IOW it depends on the specifics of the situation. Emma has ability and appeal. But from early on you could tell she was going to struggle getting over with mainstream crowds because of such an awkward act.

Reactions: CJ

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,478 Posts

There's a reason why the post-Wrestlemania Raw is the best Raw of the year. It's basically an NXT show on a bigger scale.

Keep doing your thing, Full Sail.
Thats a double edged argument though, casual fans that dont mark out for NXT wrestlers are unlikely to riot because a wrestler didn't win a match. Non smarky crowds may not go crazy for random mid carders but smarky fans ruin alot of shows by chanting for Punk or shitting on the guys in the ring, etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Back in the days, in the territories, violent marks who started riots and stabbed wrestlers were detrimental to a wrestler, as they could basically injure/kill him. Compared to that, the smark cheering don't even count.

The fact that they over react by chanting too much or not has no impact on a guy's developement. It takes years to learn you craft, once you leave the minor league you're still learning, you keep learning still after 10 years in the business even when in the big leagues. Just have to do with what you're given and crowd reaction is always something you want, good or bad.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Goofy, comedic characters get over in smaller settings.....bring that Chikara shit to a Monday Night Raw and it would be panned worse than a Reigns line about suffering succotash.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
They're really enthusiastic and it's great to see fans actually enjoying themselves during the show. I think their energy translates to the screen and makes for an overall more enjoyable experience. But...some of the chants give me such second hand embarrassment it's unreal. It took me a fair amount of time to warm to the NXT chants if I'm being honest so shit like 'This is wrestling!' and 'Marking out!' make me cringe beyond belief, especially when they happen after a high spot or 20 seconds of chain wrestling. I have to give them their props though, that 'Better than Raw' chant from this week had me :lmao.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
The NXT crowd is the same as the ECW mutants, they are very much a part of the show and help it. Yes, 1 out of 10 chants might be lame, but whatever, at least they are into the show. The NXT crowd loves NXT itself, and gets invested in the wrestlers, male and female, that can only be a positive. As far as "but it's not preparing them for the main roster crowds", that's not the NXT crowd's job, and most of the time a new talent does badly on the main roster it's because they were booked horribly.

Thats a double edged argument though, casual fans that dont mark out for NXT wrestlers are unlikely to riot because a wrestler didn't win a match. Non smarky crowds may not go crazy for random mid carders but smarky fans ruin alot of shows by chanting for Punk or shitting on the guys in the ring, etc.
Meanwhile the "casual fans" are sitting on their hands or looking at their phone. The "smart fans" are chanting Punk there because they're bored, and that's what they do. It's not the crowd's fault if they're bored by a match, the match is boring and that's the problem.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.