Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think that a 2 hour live special in full sail 4 or so times a year would help the cruiserweight division? It could provide a good crowd and important environment to put feud blowoffs on. The only time cruiserweights make a PPV is for their title match, which usually only uses 2 guys from the roster. In front of a smaller, more hardcore audience, these guys could have a better chance to engange the crowd and put on some really good matches. It could even involve the UK divison guys. Pretty much the 205 Live version of an old school TakeOver special. What do you think?

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,258 Posts
no one cares about them. why would they do something like that when the 205 live show is stagnant as it is.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If they start to draw more eyes and attention then sure, but the cruiserweight division as it is now? They just don't have enough going on for them to pull off a special right now, the best thing for that division is to get some positive exposure during some of the main roster PPVs.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
I think they'd need more god damn storytelling first. I don't even know what Drew Gulak's character is supposed to be dammit.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
NXT got a massive boost from its first specials, so the same could happen for 205 and I imagine it is in their long term plans given what they've said thus far. They need to sort out the shows identity before they do though, and differentiate it from everything else on WWE tv first.

And CWC-style wrestling in special events is a must.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The title structure itself isn't good. WWE is going around saying they have a Cruiserweight division while trying to ignore that the Intercontinental Championship and World Championship Titles both say Heavyweight on them. The booking, the creative, and the contradictions are baffling. Basically, WWE is implying that anyone can be Universal Champion or World Champion but that Cruiserweight is obviously limited even though they don't have an official weight class division.

I think this title structure will help:

WWE National Heavyweight Champion - Raw

WWE World Heavyweight Champion - SmackDown

WWE Universal Champion - Raw

WWE Women's National Champion - Raw

WWE Women's Universe Champion - SmackDown

WWE National Tag-Team Champions - Raw

WWE World Tag-Team Champions - SmackDown

WWE Cruiserweight Champion - SmackDown

You can create a special for the division if the structures of the titles change and improve. You can even create it's own special and call it Prince of The Ring, via tournament network special or main event ppv special, but only if the structure changes.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think they'd need more god damn storytelling first. I don't even know what Drew Gulak's character is supposed to be dammit.
His character is that he thinks the high-flying style of 205 Live wrestlers is too risky and it's not worth it to please the fans with that style and he's thinking about the future of 205 Live and long-term this is not a good style. He wants wrestlers to be more technical like he is.

·
TAFKA KroKro
2,686 Posts
The Cruiserweight Title would have been great for NXT. Honestly.

It would have opened so many options for the talent, add an hour to NXT Live, it'd be so much better just because they'd be allowed to showcase more of their acrobatic ability, and the crowd would definitely appreciate it more, even if Full Sail can be a bit cringey they are often aware of good wrestling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Probably not. I haven't got a problem with cruiserweight matches being involved in Raw/SD ppv's. It would be a waste of time giving it it's own special events

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
No. It just needs intergration into the main product. Drop the purple ropes, and 205 live.

The isolation of cruiserweight is a big reason why it's in trouble.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
the cw title should be on raw not have its own show, the 205 live slot should be an hour long show in the UK weekly featuring the UK title and UK tag team titles

they'd make more money off the UK show, can send underutilised american talents over there for something to do and use it to bed in European talents to the wwe style

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
29,464 Posts
They're not important enough to warrant anything besides pre show PPV slots.

the cw title should be on raw not have its own show, the 205 live slot should be an hour long show in the UK weekly featuring the UK title and UK tag team titles

they'd make more money off the UK show, can send underutilised american talents over there for something to do and use it to bed in European talents to the wwe style
I disagree. If any divison needs to cancel and replace 205 live, it's the women after the tournament this summer. They've garnered more attention than the World Title scene on multiple occasions. The UK guys will just end up like the Cruiserweights because no one knows them or cares about them. You can't give a bunch of unknown guys their own show and expect people to watch.

4,549 Posts
The cruiserweights need charisma and character.
Charisma? They have that, and character too, or a handful do anyway. The problem is that by having some of them on a network exclusive show while others of the same size or style are part of the regular roster, the 205 Live CWs are marketed as not just different by unimportant. That some folks think a good solution is pairing them up with what's supposed to be developmental (but sorta isn't), NXT, tells me that 205 Live comes off as a place for the CWs that aren't quite main event ready.

And no, they don't need their own specials (likely as network exclusives). I'd say they need to be moved to RAW and SD, with 205 Live mercy killed, but I'm not sure that would help either, since they'd be an afterthought whereas now they at least are the main focus of what they have. WWE doesn't seem to know what to do with CWs. Small guys aren't what built the company and a certain percentage of those in charge still see the cw style as novelty act or the sort of wrestling that belongs in foreign promotions.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
They're not important enough to warrant anything besides pre show PPV slots.

I disagree. If any divison needs to cancel and replace 205 live, it's the women after the tournament this summer. They've garnered more attention than the World Title scene on multiple occasions. The UK guys will just end up like the Cruiserweights because no one knows them or cares about them. You can't give a bunch of unknown guys their own show and expect people to watch.
i agree to an extent but the UK tournament sold out so the markets there for a travelling weekly show in UK small 1000 seater arenas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts