Wrestling Forum banner

Do you think AEW has elite wrestlers or justifies its name?

• I simply associate it with Cody, Bucks and Omega being in BC and calling themselves "Elite".

• Yes. AEW roster justifies the name, even if it includes Joey Janela or Kip Sabian. .

• No way. There's nothing "Elite" about that roster or about Cody/Bucks/Omega.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not just talking about Joey Janella and Nakazawa and the like and AEW roster in 2021 is on another level than the one in 2019.

But if you take a look at Cody, Moxley, Omega, Miro, Andrade, Jericho(past his prime), Christian(past his prime), Matt Hardy(past his prime), Big Show and Mark Henry in a non-wrestling role, and a way past his prime Sting, does it scream "Elite" to you?

And surely there's nothing Elite about Darby, Jungle Boy, Orange cassidy, MJF and any other of their homegrown stars. Not yet anyway.

I'm genuinely curious because it doesn't feel elite to me. Like the commentators in WCW from 1995 onwards always used to say "where the big boys play" and then when you saw their roster- they had Hogan, Savage, Luger, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Sting, Flair and many others and by 1998 they also had Bret, Goldberg, DDP, Curt Hennig and others..it was undeniable. It resonated with you, especially in 1995 and 1996 when the WWF didn't have any stars outside of Taker, Shawn and Bret.

But does AEW seem or feel "Elite"?

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,244 Posts
I voted the first option because the name is obviously a play on the Bullet Club nonsense, but it works. I find several wrestlers to be elite on the roster. The wrestlers themselves are at the bottom of my list of the problems with the company. They have plenty of top level talent with Darby Allin, Sting, Matt Hardy, Britt Baker, Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, and whether you like it or not, Orange Cassidy.

I grew up watching those big and buff '90s icons just like you, but I've accepted that wrestlers have gotten smaller over the years and there's not much I can do about it, so I can only appreciate them for the talent that they have
. With that said, AEW is guilty of trotting out random jobbers from the street and putting them in matches that last way too long with said top level talent, which hinders star building.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I always assumed it was based on "The Elite" since all the wrestlers involved in its creation were from that faction even if the name itself is supposed to be a way to prop up the roster as being elite.

Reactions: Deathiscoming

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,987 Posts
They can call their promotion whatever they want, it´s just a name. And it doesn´t really reflect the talent, it´s not "Elite" talent, it´s a mix of some decent and some really sucky wrestlers, just like everywhere else.
WWE´s version of ECW was not "extreme" (and ECW didn´t originally stand for Extreme Championship Wrestling anyway). MLW is as minor league as possible without being a truly non-televised outlaw mudshow, but they still call themselves Major League Wrestling, and I could continue

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Apparently they tried to come up with many names but at the end of the day almost everything's already been done before and you don't want it to sound too typical or generic. I mean there's nothing special about this name but at least it's its own name and it's never been done before so it is what it is . And anyways the letters beside each other to look pretty solid on a belt

I still think ALL IN WRESTLING would have been best. The meaning is pretty solid.

But aew has a ring to it and AIW doesn't.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I voted the first option because the name is obviously a play on the Bullet Club nonsense, but it works. I find several wrestlers to be elite on the roster. The wrestlers themselves are at the bottom of my list of the problems with the company. They have plenty of top level talent with Darby Allin, Sting, Matt Hardy, Britt Baker, Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, and whether you like it or not, Orange Cassidy.

I grew up watching those big and buff '90s icons just like you, but I've accepted that wrestlers have gotten smaller over the years and there's not much I can do about it, so I can only appreciate them for the talent that they have
. With that said, AEW is guilty of trotting out random jobbers from the street and putting them in matches that last way too long with said top level talent, which hinders star building.
There are a lot smaller wrestlers these days because steroid use is more taboo in this day and age. Back then everyone was juiced up. The wrestlers of today actually look like human beings.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
AH! Op just beat me to it. I was going to start a thread called "Does the NJPW roster warrant or justify being called "new" or "Japanese"".

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AH! Op just beat me to it. I was going to start a thread called "Does the NJPW roster warrant or justify being called "new" or "Japanese"".
Alternately, you could start one based on whether the WWE should call itself the WWE any more considering the serious lack of "Entertainment". Or may be switch the E for Entertainment to E for Embarrassment.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Alternately, you could start one based on whether the WWE should call itself the WWE any more considering the serious lack of "Entertainment". Or may be switch the E for Entertainment to E for Embarrassment.
They also don't prefer the term wrestling yet it is in their name. 😂

Ultimately, the Elite were the catalyst for the promotion starting, so there is nothing wrong with using their name.

NJPW - Not "new"
MLW - Not "major"
Impact - Hasn't made an "impact" in years
TNA - Many times there wasn't much action
WWE - Mentioned above
GCW - They aren't changing the game

There some that do make sense:
WCW - They had talent from across the world and many top champions
ROH - Simple enough name
Shimmer

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Not really, but then again WWE call their talent "Superstars" which isn't really a accurate name either. It just a promotional trick, All Elite Wrestling sounds better then Mostly Good Wrestling after all.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They also don't prefer the term wrestling yet it is in their name. 😂

Ultimately, the Elite were the catalyst for the promotion starting, so there is nothing wrong with using their name.

NJPW - Not "new"
MLW - Not "major"
Impact - Hasn't made an "impact" in years
TNA - Many times there wasn't much action
WWE - Mentioned above
GCW - They aren't changing the game

There some that do make sense:
WCW - They had talent from across the world and many top champions
ROH - Simple enough name
Shimmer
Haha brilliant post. I'll disagree with Shimmer(im assuming it's some women's wrestling promotion, and I don't find anything shimmering or glowing about women's wrestling) but everything else was spot on.

GCW-never knew or heard of that one. Game changing wrestling who are not changing the game.
😂🤣

I also totally find it ridiculous every time I come across the term "sports entertainment" like in a recent YouTube upload by WWE, "50 most iconic tag team moves in sports-entertainment history" or something like that.

Funnily, the other day I was watching an episode of Raw two weeks before Armageddon 2000 and Foley hadn't announced the HIAC yet. Angle cut a funny promo in the ring stating how he's won the gold medals because he's a WRESTLER, good at Wrestling and not a "sports entertainer" and "btw that's the same reason I am YOUR WWF champion".. and " I didn't come to the WWF to be chokeslammed off a stage, witness vehicular homicide.. " blah blah.

I was just glad WWF wrestlers back in 2000 could at least call themselves a "wrestler" or say "professional wrestling".

·
Southern Pride
4,937 Posts
Obviously Tony Khan got the name from "The Elite" that was a group before AEW. However, I still consider it as a name for most of the roster. Not the whole roster obviously. Think of it as another way of saying "superstars" (which WWE has worn out that word). Compared to a lot of wrestlers in the indy's most of the roster are "superstars". They are "Elite".

Janela gets overlooked because he looks like an average guy who is known for hardcore stuff but he is actually good in the ring and hasn't been pushed beyond his boundaries. So using him to put down the whole "Elite" name isn't really fair. Id rather watch him than a lot of the generic looking guys in ROH.

The name is there to build up the roster anyway. Promotional, like someone else said. Doesn't have to be taken literal for every wrestler that appears in AEW.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Don't look to into itm we wasted years analyzing TNA name. Just a name, total nonstop action

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stopped reading at "nothing elite about MJF."

Clear troll thread.
Yes because someone not liking MJF and not considering him "Elite" must automatically disqualify and invalidate everything else they have said.

Dozens of people still go around in the Smackdown/WWE section and say "Roman Reigns sucks/overrated/mediocre" etc even entirely discrediting him as a "maineventer" in 2021 but nobody calls them a "troll" Because rational people understand that MAY BE not everyone thinks or perceives the same way and Roman isn't everyone's cup of tea. And that's Roman bloody Reigns. Not a midcarder from AEW like MJF.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts