Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve watched Ring of Honor weekly for the past month and it just fails to excite me like WWE and AEW. They have good wrestlers but it still feels very ametuer. They used to have great wrestlers like CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn( el generico), Kevin Owens, Homicide, Daniel Bryan, Adam Cole, A.J Styles, Christopher Daniels, Seth Rollins, Austin Aires, Kyle Oreilly, Cesaro, Marty Scurll, Bobby Fish, Colt Cabana, Cody Rhodes and a few other notable names. Since they left, it has been very dry. Tell you what you all think.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's always sucked.

Been around since 2002 yet never was even remotely relevant. yet THAT company and Dave Meltzer influence the business and know how to fix it.

This is me everytime I hear Meltzer speak:

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,628 Posts
I haven't watched it in forever. The last show of theirs I saw was the MSG Supershow with New Japan, and basically everything ROH related on that show sucked. It's amazing that they're the property of a company that could bury the WWE if they wanted to, but they clearly have no interest in doing much of anything with a promotion who for as long as I can remember are only really propped up by guys visiting from other places. Without that CMLL, NJPW partnership I would hate to see where they'd be right now.

Yet what do you expect when you have a decade run of producing/developing/displaying maybe the greatest generation of American wrestlers ever seen and you essentially just allow yourself to be a WWE feeder farm?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
They were still good even up to the early 2010s but were slowly declining, then declining even faster, and then AEW became a thing and most of the good people left jumped ship either to start AEW or head to WWE when they decided to be really aggressive trying to hoard talent.

There's also the factor that Delirious is just not a great booker so outside of some of the Pure stuff he's just not doing much interesting with what's left of the roster.

Also why is this in the WWE section? There's a section for other wrestling that isn't WWE/AEW/Impact/NJPW with a whole big thread just for ROH.

·
Southern Pride
4,739 Posts
I watched an ROH PPV this year just to see what the current status of the product is and had no clue who a lot of the wrestlers were. Dalton Castle, Jay Lethal, The Briscoes, etc. I knew of of course but a lot of others it was like... "these guys seem very generic and not interesting". So I don't want to say that ROH sucks now because I don't watch regularly but the one time I watched their product this year it didn't make me want to keep watching. Feels like a decline from what they used to be.

ROH is where I first found out about Eddie Kingston. "The last of a dying breed". So I was interested in ROH long ago. When The Elite left is when it felt like the product went on a sharp decline. ROH suffered from depending on one group for so long after they left and they are still trying to recover from that.

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
I like the Pure Honor matches, which are rather OK without fans. But, everything else is like Impact - it's no good without fans.

I've only caught it a few times on TV, but if it's the Pure Honor stuff I'm hooked.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Current ROH weekly show is one of the best, especially the pure wrestling division.
One hour of wrestling that is so easy and enjoyable to watch. I hope they keep it this way and never return to what was prepandemic.
The production is also very good.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I try to watch ROH TV episodes but they are so boring I turn them off within 15 minutes. Even Championship Wrestling From Hollywood is more entertaining than ROH. I thought Dave Marquez was supposed to be the cure for insomnia.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's the only good wrestling promotion going right now.

Their lowest point was late 2019. Everything they've done since September 2020 has been top notch. If you're not into it, you probably want a "sports entertainment" company. Ring of Honor is pro wrestling.

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
Roh has been the best promotion without fans. Hell, I like the show better now before the pandemic.

Roh success is their problem. Fans and wrestling critics can't really complain about the shows, they don't get talk about as much.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Stories move slowly due to limited tv time but for pure wrestling and story telling, ROH has been fantastic since their return. So to me, ROH does not suck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Peaked a long time ago. There’s a handful of guys worth your time, which means it’s far too little to be worth your time. Same as NWA and MLW.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I watched Ring Of Honor recently and this one episode consisted of 2 matches on the show along with a bunch of boring pre match backstories and I think after both matches guys hugged it out at the end. It felt like a sport to me. Not pro wrestling. Great ring work and all but if it's only ring work that I'm watching, I may as well watch amateur or olympic wrestling.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I’ve been quite enjoying the stripped-back ROH since they returned. To the point I’m not wondering what Marty Scurll was going to do with the product.

It was not very compelling pre-pandemic, but it’s better now. Is not a product of fireworks, but it works. Hopefully when the crowds return they’ll be invested and can enhance the product.

I know Delirious is back as Head Booker, but anyone know who is assisting him on creative?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know Delirious is back as Head Booker, but anyone know who is assisting him on creative?
As far as we know:
Jon Gresham, Maria Kanellis, Todd Sinclair, Bobby Cruise, Will Ferrara, Kevin Eck, Cary Silkin (probably mostly ceremonial but he is listed as a producer and ambassador)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It's always sucked.

Been around since 2002 yet never was even remotely relevant. yet THAT company and Dave Meltzer influence the business and know how to fix it.

This is me every time I hear Meltzer speak:

I'm so happy that the first reply got this out of the way. I always laugh when ROH diehards claim that ROH is more relevant than TNA. TNA from top to bottom has always been more entertaining
and accomplished more in the business than ROH will ever dream of doing. Hell, the people who own it aren't even interested in pushing the company further, they're just fine having it on their channel for cheap programing.

It's had it's moments, but ROH is way too plain jane for my liking. It's like the generic template of what an indy show would be. A completely forgettable org in every sense of the word.

It's the only good wrestling promotion going right now.
That's a stretch the size of Rikishi's buttcrack.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Only seen a couple episodes and it wasn't for me, too dry. It's cool that there are different options out there for different tastes though so more power to those who enjoy it. I feel like AEW is pitched somewhere between the ring work of ROH and the sports entertainment of WWE and it does the job for me.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Only seen a couple episodes and it wasn't for me, too dry. It's cool that there are different options out there for different tastes though so more power to those who enjoy it. I feel like AEW is pitched somewhere between the ring work of ROH and the sports entertainment of WWE and it does the job for me.
Yeah, I try to enjoy each promotion for what they are. As much as some weeks AEW pisses me off, to me, they have been delivering between Elevation, Dark, and Dynamite. They are far from perfect, but at least they've done a good job with a lot of the younger talent.

I can see where some are turned off by the current ROH product, but it has been quite the improvement since coming back from the pandemic. Sure there are several things they need to improve on, and it would help if they had their show even run 1.5 hours a week to allow for a bit more on each show considering that they will be bringing back the women's division. If only Sinclair would spend a bit more money and put the needed resources behind the product, it can really compete with the likes of AEW and WWE.

I feel the same with Impact and Anthem as ROH and Sinclair. They are owned by these companies that have such a huge cash flow, yet they aren't putting in the resources to take both promotions to the next level. Impact has been entertaining, but the roster is starting to get a bit on the stale side. Hopefully they start to bring in some new talent in the coming months to spice things up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts