Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kazuchika okada has been champion for over a year in this reign and almost every match has been 4.5 * or 6*. He has one of the best match to match ratings at the moment. He had three MOTYC this year two of them were considered 6 * by big money Dave. He boosted the companies revenue which means he draws. He had the match quality and the drawing power in those matches, does this equal kobashi title run despite being shorter. Thoughts?

·
Baby Yoda
30,260 Posts
Best title reign I've ever seen.

He's not a bigger draw than Naito though and he's not as likable as Naito, Omega or Shibata IMO.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Best run of amazing matches of any champion I have seen in my almost 20 years of watching wrestling.

Still wish he would have dropped the belt to Omega though, who could do something similar if given a chance.

·
Pico pal q lee
3,115 Posts
Not eve close. Shit, Hideki Suzuki's run in Big Japan this year is better than Okada's in terms of quality.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
In terms of his performances in those title defenses he is certainly up there with the best.
The only thing he lacks is he is not charismatic like Naito and some others in NJPW

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,605 Posts
It's been phenomenal, I personally prefer Steve Austin's 2001 reign.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
On one hand, with the exception of the Bad Luck Fale match (which was still very good), every main event match he's had are legit contenders for Top 10 Best Match of 2017. On the other hand, he's had matches with guys that are are all considered great in their own rights. If he could pull a great match or higher out of Cody Rhodes, MAYBE we'll extend this discussions.

But of course, this is purely match-based. He's definitely great for business and still in the running for Wrestler of the Year 2017 :eek:kada :eek:kada :eek:kada :eek:kada :eek:kada :eek:kada :eek:kada

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
Not even close. Currently Trevor Lee & Io Shirai are having better ones, and all-time there's been quite a few better - Danielson's, McGuinness' & Joe's ROH World Title reigns are the top-3 imo.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I try to stay away from saying so and so is the best ever or whatever since I haven't seen every title reign to make that judgement, but all I'll say is this, Okada is truly a special talent and what we're seeing here with this title run is truly amazing and it does bother me a bit that people keep wanting it to end. Whenever Okada does lose the belt it needs to be a big moment, he spent years becoming the ace and he's still trying to prove doubters wrong and he keeps having 4*-5* matches due to this.

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
No. His performances have been far too inconsistent for my liking and there's been two defenses I flat out didn't like so that didn't help. In terms of recent reigns, I'd put Naito's now-finished IC run above it. The Lethal defense was the only one I didn't see. Everything else has been tremendous this year.

Then there's Cena in '07, Danielson's ROH Title run, etc.

·
Midcard Minivan
6,721 Posts
I think the problem with Okada's reign, as far as contextualizing it as one of the best reigns ever, is that multiple other reigns during this period or just prior are as good. Miyahara and Trevor Lee delivered big time.
Admittedly I haven't kept up with all of it, but as far as individual performances go, Trevor is undoubtedly performing in that top tier. While my opinion on the Chip match changed after a rewatch (still an awesome match), that match/feud with Brad Attitude was :eek:kada

1 - 20 of 30 Posts