Wrestling Forum banner

Does Moxley have the best Length Face World Title run?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 66.7%
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,961 Posts
If it is then thats just speaking volumes about how long babyface Title runs are unwatchable.

All Moxley has done is just run through half the roster in heatless matches because we all know Super Mox isn't losing to any of theseguys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mcintyre's face run so far this year has been better, but honestly in my opinion its because WWE gives Mcintyre a lot to work with and they actually think his segments through a little bit. Moxley on the other hand is world champion of AEW and his segments and storylines feel very bare bones. As top dog of the company, he should be getting these giant segments that Cody does every week. You should highlight your champion and not just give him 30 second promos/segments all the time.

But I do still enjoy him as AEW world champion. I legit enjoy all the different ways he dispatches all of his title challengers, and he has put on some really good matches.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So what makes you feel Moxley's is so high? Do you think any of the feuds he's had will be long term memorable seeing as they weren't really long? I think it's been enjoyable. For me due to a combination of Covid and no feuds that really went long enough to be memorable, I can't see how it could be ranked so high.
From a feud perspective, I would say that is definitely one of the weaker parts of Moxley's title run. I did enjoy his feud with Jericho, but that was prior to winning the title. The feud with Brodie was too short and the feud with MJF focused too much on his presidential promos rather than creating heat between the two.

I guess what I've enjoyed most is his overall portrayal, presentation, and the matches. He comes off as a legit badass in a day and age where faces are no longer "cool" and are forced. Plus, the list of opponents he's defeated to retain the world title (all with clean finishes mind you) makes him feel like a legitimate champion holding a prestigious belt.

And look, prior to AEW I've only watched WWE (and TNA a little in 2012) so I had to endure the cringey faces for years on end. So Moxley feels like a breath of fresh air being a face with the world title.

The only three other times I was excited for faces holding the world title in recent memory were CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Dean Ambrose. CM Punk's world title run as a face was plagued by playing second fiddle to Cena, Daniel Bryan had to temporarily retire as soon as he won it, and Ambrose lost it to Styles shortly after winning it. Plus these all involved weird storylines like John Laurinaitis' People Power crap, the AJ Lee love triangle with Kane and Bryan, and Ellsworth which all had no place belonging in world title feuds.

In WWE, I never found Face title runs interesting compared to Heel title runs. And now, AEW has changed my perspective on that with how entertained by Moxley's run I've been.

Could the feuds have been more fleshed out? Sure. But I've enjoyed the majority of his title defenses, his promos, his character, and the overall presentation of it all.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
If it is then thats just speaking volumes about how long babyface Title runs are unwatchable.

All Moxley has done is just run through half the roster in heatless matches because we all know Super Mox isn't losing to any of theseguys.
That's the problem with only having 2 legit main eventers and making your only other one look like a dork wrestling with Nakazawa

·
15,961 Posts
That's the problem with only having 2 legit main eventers and making your only other one look like a dork wrestling with Nakazawa
Its the big issue with AEW currently. There's a couple of Main Event guys, and Cody who is always in the spotlight and then everyone else feels irrelevant. Thats not helped by the fact that Moxley has ran through everyone with ease. hey haven't established anyone as being on Moxleys level, there's no one in AEW right now that you could book against Mox and it'd actually feel remotely possible that he could ever lose to them. And everyone that does lose to him then feels like a midcard goober who is cursed to aimlessly wander the AEW wilderness doing nothing of note.

·
Registered
24,011 Posts
From a feud perspective, I would say that is definitely one of the weaker parts of Moxley's title run. I did enjoy his feud with Jericho, but that was prior to winning the title. The feud with Brodie was too short and the feud with MJF focused too much on his presidential promos rather than creating heat between the two.

I guess what I've enjoyed most is his overall portrayal, presentation, and the matches. He comes off as a legit badass in a day and age where faces are no longer "cool" and are forced. Plus, the list of opponents he's defeated to retain the world title (all with clean finishes mind you) makes him feel like a legitimate champion holding a prestigious belt.

And look, prior to AEW I've only watched WWE (and TNA a little in 2012) so I had to endure the cringey faces for years on end. So Moxley feels like a breath of fresh air being a face with the world title.

The only three other times I was excited for faces holding the world title in recent memory were CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Dean Ambrose. CM Punk's world title run as a face was plagued by playing second fiddle to Cena, Daniel Bryan had to temporarily retire as soon as he won it, and Ambrose lost it to Styles shortly after winning it. Plus these all involved weird storylines like John Laurinaitis' People Power crap, the AJ Lee love triangle with Kane and Bryan, and Ellsworth which all had no place belonging in world title feuds.

In WWE, I never found Face title runs interesting compared to Heel title runs. And now, AEW has changed my perspective on that with how entertained by Moxley's run I've been.

Could the feuds have been more fleshed out? Sure. But I've enjoyed the majority of his title defenses, his promos, his character, and the overall presentation of it all.
I definitely get the character aspect. But for me I think feuds during a reign are the most important, as that's what makes the reign memorable and worthwhile. You mentioned Punk's reign, something I'm sure that stuck with you was the Jericho feud and Bryan feud. That's probably because they were good, but went long enough to have lasting impact.

I agree Mox is doing great promo work, character work, and presented strong. But I think the lack of deep feuds is what makes it cool instead of the great it could be given the fact everything else is on point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The company that made 3/4 of the EVP's of AEW famous don't count to these guys
It's telling that they ignore the fact that Mox is so far down the card in NJPW that he will easily lose his US title to KENTA. That's nothing against KENTA either. A midcard guy in NJPW will kick the shit out of AEWs world champ if and when they ever get around to making him defend his US title. Does TK even remember that Mox is NJPWs US champ? KENTA doesn't even acnowledge the fact that he's the #1 contender to the US title during the G1 tour. The briefcase is a comedy prop at this point.

11,647 Posts
In recent times, there haven't been many better that's for sure, even more clear because few faces get long title reigns.

It's been a great reign for mox but def hurt by the lack of crowd, plus it would be cool if AEW stretched out some feuds for him.

Anyways, here are champs I think have been better since I've been watching

TNA - Samoa Joe 2008's run

He had a good reign, multiple feuds, good stories, he was over, and he was a draw for TNA. (btw those packages TNA did as wrestlers are walking to the ring during their entrance are awesome)

Punk had a better reign as well, even if just the first face part. I loved his matches with Ziggler, Jericho and Bryan.

I'm not gona agree on Batista 2005, he was still over, he had good matches and feuds with Triple H and JBL, and a little run tag run with Eddie there. But the last 3-4months (so almost 1/3rd) of Batista's reign were lacking in terms of a "championship run".
Cena was getting booed for half his run so you can't really tell me he's a "top babyface champion".

Even in NXT, Balor's first run was alright, but heavily criticized despite doing good business, but not really a "major scale TV champ", his run now is actually off to a good start with a banger of a match + some controversy, if he manages to come back within 3-4 weeks and compete, his run now could be good business for NXT. I think Neville in terms of booking and matches as also better than Mox (his feud with Zayn is one of the best feuds and ended with one of the best matches in the company's history).

So for me:
Joe, Punk, Neville were better during the past 20 years.
Possible for Batista, Balor (NXT first run).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I haven’t watched Dynamite for about a month. Is Mox still being booked like an afterthought? As champ he should be the front and centre of the show.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Its so difficult to compare these covid title runs to anything else really.

I'd say he's had a good face title run, one of the best of the last decade, but not a GOAT run in any way.

I'm guessing that OP was referring to modern times, because theres no way Moxleys reign can compare to some of the legendary title reigns of history.

Another thing. It really also comes down to your own personal criteria.
I.e. Cenas first reign had great matches/feuds, did good business and made Cena a star. But he wass booed to hell and back because he represented a new direction for the WWE. Is that a great face run or not?

·
15,961 Posts
I definitely get the character aspect. But for me I think feuds during a reign are the most important, as that's what makes the reign memorable and worthwhile. You mentioned Punk's reign, something I'm sure that stuck with you was the Jericho feud and Bryan feud. That's probably because they were good, but went long enough to have lasting impact.

I agree Mox is doing great promo work, character work, and presented strong. But I think the lack of deep feuds is what makes it cool instead of the great it could be given the fact everything else is on point.
Agreed.

A quality Title reign needs quality feuds. Moxley can do all the good work he wants too, but if all his feuds are just him running through midcard goobers in short feuds, its not going to be memorable. Everything has been downhill since the Jericho feud because at least that one was long enough for something to happen during it.

On top of that I dont think anyone seriously thought MJF, Lee, Cage, Archer, etc had any chance in hell of beating Mox.

He needs a 2-3 match/PPV series with someone where the other guy is actually presented like a genuine threat to the Title and put on Moxleys level to make this reign at all memorable. I think the issue there is the only guy who could fill that role is Cody. Cody's the only person I could see beating Mox anytime in the next couple of years with how unimportant the rest of the roster feels.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mox is the best AEW champion but hell to the no on being best face, dollface, dogface,or wrestler reign in wrestling history.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well, we will have to look at it from a modern era perspective. If the criteria is the best face who stayed face his entire title run which also has to be a lengthy title run, well you can't compare him to the guys in the 80s. Okada had a legendary title reign a few years ago, but that was in Japan. He doesn't really have that much competition in the last decade in North America (major companies). I'd have to see all the other candidates before making a choice, but I don't think he's the top one, but he's definitely been one of the better ones.

I feel if there was a crowd we would be changing our tune for sure. Moxley's title run was supposed to be a company defining run, based on what I've read. The original plan was for him to defend it all over the world. Do international talk shows and have European AEW shows. It was supposed to be about making history with the company.

Instead, he got it during the pandemic era, and his feuds have been basic as hell. I mean he's done a good job, don't get me wrong, but they've barely focused on him. After he drops the title to Omega, he probably won't see it for another two years. It's a case of what could have been for me.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts