Wrestling Forum banner

Does Moxley have the best Length Face World Title run?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 66.7%
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
A lot of AEW fanboys will tell you otherwise, but...

No. Friggin' NO! It only exposed him as barely midcard at best. Vinnie was right about something, I guess.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Off the top of my mind, the ones that I felt were better in the last decade, Cm punks reign, prince puma's (my personal favourite), Becky lynch, bayley (nxt champ) and okada on several occasions.
CM Punk turned heel during his title reign. It's not a factor here. Lol @ Bayley. And I never saw Okada's or Prince Puma's reigns. How long were they champions and they never turned heel during their runs?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Man if we're counting Hogan, Sammartino etc then it's a definite no.

Mox has been alright but really he's a Stone Cold knock off that does hardcore every match. He's hardly inventing the wheel...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Its because the question is so stupid, it's not even worth giving examples and discussing.

The company has been around 1year and had 1 face champion. But somehow, you think this could possibly be the best in history of wrestling? Talk about being a fan boy.

How is that possible if he's not even the main man on the show, ratings have not spiked. Mox has not gone mainstream and is less searched than he was in WWE.

He has not had 1 memorable feud that will be remembered in 10yrs time during this reign. Like I said it's not worth discussing as it's clear there is an AEW bias to the question.
A lot of bullshit words to just say "I'm an AEW hater and I don't feel like contributing to any civil discussions about it". Thanks for your pointless posts.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Compared to whom?

Bruno Sammartino blows him away. Hulk Hogan blows him away. Shawn Michaels’ first run blows him away. Goldberg’s run in WCW blows him away.

Maybe compared to CM Punk. But Punk was told to turn heel if he wanted to face The Rock, so it shouldn’t count.

Maybe Cena. But Cena is a polarizing figure and it has become synonymous with his identity, so he doesn’t really count either.

Even Benoit’s run with the WHC and Christian’s world title run in TNA were more interesting since they had never held the gold before. While for Moxley, this is his second world title run, after his run with the WWE title as Ambrose.

So, I would say that he’s better than a lot of other runs over the past 15 years, including his run in WWE. But he’s not THE best lengthy run.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,950 Posts
I think they've booked him very strong but not in an overwhelming manner.

He always brings war in his matches, it's never truly superman in that he gets battered for the majority of the match and comes back with the win. He gives as good as he gets. Loved that he showed vulnerability against Lance Archer too, especially in the build up promos he was giving us. It's refreshing to see after being given the likes of Cena on national television for a decade.

And thank god he got rid of his rebound clothesline that he spammed in the WWE.

It's just a shame he's been champion during an era of no fans.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I think they've booked him very strong but not in an overwhelming manner.

He always brings war in his matches, it's never truly superman in that he gets battered for the majority of the match and comes back with the win. He gives as good as he gets. Loved that he showed vulnerability against Lance Archer too, especially in the build up promos he was giving us. It's refreshing to see after being given the likes of Cena on national television for a decade.

And thank god he got rid of his rebound clothesline that he spammed in the WWE.

It's just a shame he's been champion during an era of no fans.
Have they booked him like the World Heavyweight Champion? Honest answer please...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm trying to think of a better Lengthy Face world title run than Moxley's and I can't really think of one. CM Punk turned heel during his title run. And guys like The Rock and Stone Cold never held the belt that long during one title reign.

So does Moxley have the best Lengthy Face world title run? I know some are getting tired of it, but I've been enjoying it and a lot of people still are as well. Usually people start absolutely hating if a face holds the title for more than 3 months and Moxley's already well above 230 days.

And for those who have a hard time with reading comprehension: I'm not asking if Lengthy = Good. I'm not asking if you personally enjoy it or not. I'm asking if you can provide a better World Title run with the conditions that it has to be around the length of time Moxley has held it and they couldn't have been heel during the world title run.
Hulk Hogan says hi

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
I'd imagine Hogan's initial title run would easily eclipse it. I'd put AJ's year long title run above it as well. People haven't turned on Moxley, but man his title run feels uneventful. Cena's first run also had more memorable matches and feuds as well as his year long one. Bastista has had great runs as well. Mickey feels more like he's fighting monsters of the week instead of having actual feuds. Nothing in AEW has felt like a real feud besides Jericho vs Moxley. So his reign feels meh.

So I'd say Hogan, Cena 2x, Batista, and AJ have had better lengthy face runs.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
AEW need to get on having true feuds over the belts at some point to help their champions. It's a shame when Matt vs Sammy has more depth and build to it than any of Mox's title defense "feuds". Especially since Mox is fucking beloved.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Around the same time (a year?) as babyface? What about Cena's first run before everyone was over him? Batista? There's a heap of options, Mox is quite boring due to the bad booking.
At what point do we stop blaming booking for Moxley being boring? He was a knock off Joker wannabe in CZW, he was boring in his WWE run and now he's boring in AEW. I daresay it's on him at this point.

Also the answer is hell no, even Drew McIntyres current reign is better. He shows up every week, he looks amazing, he's beating worthwhile talent. In recent times AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, Punk, Triple H, Orton and Cena have all had far better long title reigns, albeit not all faces. Then you've got Becky Lynch, and wrestlers from other companies like Okada. The caveats added to this are kind of ridiculous hurdles to jump through. Why not ask what the best lengthy title reign from a face who is currently balding (not quite bald yet) whose last name rhymes with Poxley?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
CM Punk turned heel during his title reign. It's not a factor here. Lol @ Bayley. And I never saw Okada's or Prince Puma's reigns. How long were they champions and they never turned heel during their runs?
I love when you guys admit to watching very little other wrestling

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
AEW need to get on having true feuds over the belts at some point to help their champions. It's a shame when Matt vs Sammy has more depth and build to it than any of Mox's title defense "feuds". Especially since Mox is fucking beloved.
The Cody and Jericho show don’t have time for people that will compete for, and steal, their spotlight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my opinion,It probably has something to do with COVID but all of AEW’s title runs have been underwhelming.
The Goldberg style booking of Mox has become very stale not once since his debut have I thought he was going to take an L

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I love when you guys admit to watching very little other wrestling
Yea? Because I'm honest and like to have civil discussions about things? Shocking I know!

I'm opened to my mind being changed, but this forum would rather attack me for asking a question than provide better examples.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
Yea? Because I'm honest and like to have civil discussions about things? Shocking I know!

I'm opened to my mind being changed, but this forum would rather attack me for asking a question than provide better examples.
So what makes you feel Moxley's is so high? Do you think any of the feuds he's had will be long term memorable seeing as they weren't really long? I think it's been enjoyable. For me due to a combination of Covid and no feuds that really went long enough to be memorable, I can't see how it could be ranked so high.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

You got your answers though. I'm running with a theory that those who really enjoy AEW and think the things they do are the best don't actually watch much wrestling and the arguments make far more sense knowing this sort of information. I didn't insult you, I answered your question and made a comment on why you believe the topic you created to be true.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts