Wrestling Forum banner

Does Moxley have the best Length Face World Title run?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 66.7%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to think of a better Lengthy Face world title run than Moxley's and I can't really think of one. CM Punk turned heel during his title run. And guys like The Rock and Stone Cold never held the belt that long during one title reign.

So does Moxley have the best Lengthy Face world title run? I know some are getting tired of it, but I've been enjoying it and a lot of people still are as well. Usually people start absolutely hating if a face holds the title for more than 3 months and Moxley's already well above 230 days.

And for those who have a hard time with reading comprehension: I'm not asking if Lengthy = Good. I'm not asking if you personally enjoy it or not. I'm asking if you can provide a better World Title run with the conditions that it has to be around the length of time Moxley has held it and they couldn't have been heel during the world title run.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moxley isn’t even the key protagonist or antagonist on his own show, so I’d say the answer is a resounding “No” through no fault of his own.
Read the last paragraph and try again. I know it's hard, WF. But I believe in you!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Honestly, I like moxley but his title run has felt underwhelming and that is mainly down to aew's constant rushed booking and lack of proper build up of many of his competitors to them feel credible opponents to him.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Honestly, I like moxley but his title run has felt underwhelming and that is mainly down to aew's constant rushed booking and lack of proper build up of many of his competitors to them feel credible opponents to him.
Ok, but that really wasn't my question. Can you provide a better example of a lengthy face world title run?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Exactly. His booking has not been given the love necessary to constitute such heavy praise. The 8 months he’s been champion, the show has been entirely built around Jericho and Cody. Why is your world champion not getting the featured most often? Why is your world champion treated like a supporting character?

This shit has been going since Dynamite debuted as well. Moxley just happened to be in a program with Jericho for 3 months that hid the fact he is a supporting character in the Cody and Jericho Show.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Around the same time (a year?) as babyface? What about Cena's first run before everyone was over him? Batista? There's a heap of options, Mox is quite boring due to the bad booking.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around the same time (a year?) as babyface? What about Cena's first run before everyone was over him? Batista? There's a heap of options, Mox is quite boring due to the bad booking.
I haven't heard many regard Cena or Batista's title runs as great tbh. But tbf, I wasn't watching then.

Is this a serious question?

Bruno Sammartino? Hulk Hogan? Bret Hart? Batista? John Cena?

there's gotta be like 100 better options on this one.
100 better options so you only name 5? Bruno and Hogan were legendary for their time, but I don't think many could go back and watch it now and not be bored to death (no disrespect to them or anything, just different era). Look above for my stance on Cena and Batista. And as for Bret Hart, that's an interesting pick.

How long did Hart hold it for? And was he face the entire time?

·
Ho!
17,660 Posts
It’s probably the best in a long time. He’s consistently had good-great matches, with a MOTYC and TVMOTYC. His promos are still strong and he goes from one opponent to the next, so his feuds never get stale.

He’s had an awesome run as the top champion, and you’d probably have to go back over a decade to find a better lengthy face world title run (assuming we’re calling “lengthy“ over 6 months). For the thread though, an 8 month plus reign is a real stretch to find a better face run in the last 20-30 years. Heck, it’s better than the majority of heel world title runs as well that have gone that long (in the last 10 years).

I’ll say Cena’s year-long run from a match quality standpoint in 2006-2007 is probably one. His first run and Batista’s first runs though I’d say don’t hold a candle to Moxley’s.

Would be great to have a list of all face world title runs over 8 months to compare to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like Moxley's title run. None of his feuds have bored me yet. I like all the different ways he manages to beat his opponents when defending the title.

Obviously its not the best of all time, but its the best in a while in my opinion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mox has been a worthy champion with good title defences (except Hager). It would have felt much more epic with crowds though, because Mox is so damn over with the fan base. I hope in future when crowds are back we get another Mox reign.

One thing I like about Mox is his versatility. He's been painted as a 'death match' wrestler, but he can work different styles depending on the opponent.

Between them, Jericho and Mox have really established the AEW title as something important, something that won't be passed around to the latest flavour of the month.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AEW fans really love the hyperbole and claiming things are the 'best'.

In all of wrestling history, the best face title run. Are you kidding me? How is this even a genuine question.
I love how people like you love to bitch and moan instead of properly contributing to the discussion. Instead of asking "hOw iS tHiS eVeN A qUeSTioN?!", why don't you provide a few examples that fits the criteria stated in my first post?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mox has been a worthy champion with good title defences (except Hager). It would have felt much more epic with crowds though, because Mox is so damn over with the fan base. I hope in future when crowds are back we get another Mox reign.
Right? The fact that his title reign is so good without a crowd too really makes me wonder what could have been if this whole pandemic never happened. Probably missed out on a great amount of legendary reactions, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I love how people like you love to bitch and moan instead of properly contributing to the discussion. Instead of asking "hOw iS tHiS eVeN A qUeSTioN?!", why don't you provide a few examples that fits the criteria stated in my first post?
Its because the question is so stupid, it's not even worth giving examples and discussing.

The company has been around 1year and had 1 face champion. But somehow, you think this could possibly be the best in history of wrestling? Talk about being a fan boy.

How is that possible if he's not even the main man on the show, ratings have not spiked. Mox has not gone mainstream and is less searched than he was in WWE.

He has not had 1 memorable feud that will be remembered in 10yrs time during this reign. Like I said it's not worth discussing as it's clear there is an AEW bias to the question.

·
Registered
668 Posts
To be honest I feel that Drew’s current run with the title have been just as good .

Besides that Cenas first couple title reigns where he was fighting all kinds of opponents and destroying the old guard : HHH, HBK, Kurt Angle etc was very well done.

There are other examples as well and but I am too lazy to look at every other face champ to remember them all

·
rasslin
4,424 Posts
I haven't heard many regard Cena or Batista's title runs as great tbh. But tbf, I wasn't watching then.

100 better options so you only name 5? Bruno and Hogan were legendary for their time, but I don't think many could go back and watch it now and not be bored to death (no disrespect to them or anything, just different era). Look above for my stance on Cena and Batista. And as for Bret Hart, that's an interesting pick.

How long did Hart hold it for? And was he face the entire time?
I’m not going to send you a massive list of names. Anyone who’s been watching wrestling for any decent amount of time could tell you a handful of names who had better title runs than Mox.

Bruno and Hogan’s drawing power speaks for itself. The question isn’t what currently entertains what’s left of wrestling fans when it comes to a world title.The question is what lengthy face title run is the best and the fan fare alone for Bruno and Hogan at that time would suggest that Mox isn’t even on the same planet as the two.

I think it’s debatable that Mox is even the best face champion this year. If you put a poll up comparing Drew to Mox, I’m sure the results would be close. If Mox was truly on the level of Bruno, Hogan or any other great champion it would be a landslide

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ok, but that really wasn't my question. Can your provide a better example of a lengthy face world title run?
Off the top of my mind, the ones that I felt were better in the last decade, Cm punks reign, prince puma's (my personal favourite), Becky lynch, bayley (nxt champ) and okada on several occasions.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts