Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR: The MITB doesn't push superstars anymore. Just an excuse for writers to get lazy. Not since Punk in 2009 was there a superstar who maintained their main event status after winning the title by cashing in. I don't count Bryan as it took him over a year and he's mainly in the main event picture now because of the fans (which has nothing to do with his first reign, but rather his chants).

Okay so there are pros with it:
1- A great match type with usually good spots.
2- Will elevate one (or possibly more) to the world title scenes.
3- Gives mid carders (and sometimes upper carders) something to do.

But now after almost a dozen cash ins there's definitely cons that exist.

1- Mid card storylines have gotten worse by the year. May not be MITB's fault, but 2 PPVs now where mid cards don't need any focus (Royal Rumble) aren't helping the cause.

2- Not making stars, just transitional champions. How many wrestlers have actually stayed in the Main Event scene after they won MITB? CM Punk and Edge come to mind. Cena was already there. Del Rio had already been pushed to the moon prior to it. A case could be made for RVD if certain things didn't happen. But that's it.

Kennedy didn't even use his. Kane, Ziggler, Miz, and Swagger were merely transitional champs. All 4 aren't in the main event scene or relevant anymore (outside of Kane's stint with Bryan). Then you have the case of Daniel Bryan, who I personally feel flopped his title reign as well, but luckily the fans fell in love with his face run, which had nothing to do with his first title reign.

3- Predictability is getting easy. Cena announces his cash in in advance. They don't give Orton a match the PPV he cashes in. Ziggler's cash in came a day later than expected, but was still pretty obvious after one of the worst whc storylines in years. Writers just can't make the briefcase appeal to us anymore. It can be done at any time, but its the same old "rival is mad, beats up the champ, here comes the cash in" story.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to see it dropped as a PPV and have just 1 match at wrestlemania with the winner being able to choose which title to go for, if written well they could build up the suspense a bit more that way.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
I think it needs to be rested for a few years before being brought back as a wrestlemania match.

I'm sick of cash in title wins in general now.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
MITB is freaking AWESOME

i wish WWE only had 1 MITB match and they gave they other "guarenteed title shot" to the winner of a new WWE King of the Ring PPV

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I think the idea needs to be dropped as PPV and just return to being a one match on the card, like the opener of a Wrestlemania (like before)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would like to see it dropped as a PPV and have just 1 match at wrestlemania with the winner being able to choose which title to go for, if written well they could build up the suspense a bit more that way.
This exactly....

MITB used to be a once a year match at WM featuring mid carders/future stars as a way to push a new superstar into the fold, which is what this match should be marketed as, and they still in a way do this, like this past years smackdown mitb with sandow.

but somewhere the main eventers i guess got jealous and wanted there own match too so they can take some of that fame that the early mitb matches were getting.

like my quotee said, once a year at WM, showcasing the younger/lower mid card talent in which not only the wrestlers involved can show off what they do, but the wwe itself can show off what they future has offer in terms of new talent for the future without investing in a long storyline or much tv time.

but i think it would be more eventful if the winner can pick any title, not just world title, for example, if someone wins and wants to be a tag champ, he can come down with his chosen partner, a ref, and take the tag titles, or if axel won and wasnt already ic champ, and wanted to follow in his dads steps and be ic champ, he could cash in for that, it would keep suspense for all title matches up and throw in another element of surprise.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If they do scrap the MITB PPV then they could put it back on WRESTLEMANIA or keep it gone for a few years & have a big WRESTLEMANIA return for MITB.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
why would they scrap the MITB ppv? its one of the top 4 ppvs IMO. the MITB match is a draw in itself like the royal rumble match is. i think they should make it more special by having 1 match and giving the other title shot to the winner of a new King of the King PPV

no particular order top 4 WWE PPV that get my interest:

royal rumble
wrestlemania
sumerslam
MITB

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
They should just make the ladder match for a contract for a match at the next PPV

The next PPV is Summerslam right? It could be a big deal, getting a title match on the SummerSlam card. Elevates the superstar who wins it immediately and makes SummerSlam have a better Mania-type feel to it. Kind of like the RR to Mania except a ladder match to SS.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,774 Posts
Once in awhile, I'm okay with it. Like once or twice per year.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
The MITB PPV has been one of the best PPV's of the year since 2011. Neither the PPV nor the match concept should be scrapped. The problem is with the booking of MITB holders, at least the SD MITB holders. It's absolutely atrocious, and helps lead to the title wins only resulting in transitional champion reigns. That's what needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
25,982 Posts
If anything, get rid of the surprise cash-ins. Let the MITB have a month to decide where and when he wants to cash-in. Could make that a big deal, maybe even a segment to close Raw.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
mitb is far better as a stand alone ppv than at mania. i think people here seem to forget how bad the last couple at mania were

mitb 2010 was wwe ppv of the year, mitb 2011 was 3rd best wwe ppv of all time, mitb this year is second best show wwe have put on all year after summerslam

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Daniel Bryan's first world title reign skyrocketed his popularity and he stayed in the world title picture for most of the Summer following his loss at Wrestlemania. One year later he's now the #1 facein the company right now. So I wouldn't say all the recent MITB winners have been failed projects. Though, I still agree, MITB sucks and it needs to go.

As cool as Edge's first cash in was, he ruined the entire concept on it's very first go. When Edge won his first MITB, I think most people were expecting the cash-in to result in a regular match on fair terms like any other match would be, I don't think most people thought you would be allowed to cash in on somebody right after a match.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
They should have 8-10 participants but only one briefcase that can go after either title holder. That would make it far better. I'd like it to be at WM again too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts