• No. It's hidden beneath his beer belly

Votes: 9 33.3%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think so.

I know that WWE booking prevents the current roster from breaking the glass ceiling holding them back from superstardom. However, independent of that fact, I fail to see starpower in Owens.

I don't know what it is about him, but he doesn't scream potential like AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose, or even Roman Reigns. For example, I wouldn't waste a part-timer's time in a feud Kevin Owens. I know he is an HHH pet project so he'll have lots of accolades, but I think they'll be as shallow as his Universal title reign. Mind you I don't find him bland like Finn Bàlor, but I cannot imagine KO ever reaching the threshold for B+ player.

What is he missing OR is my assessment of him incorrect?

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,258 Posts
he's a nothing wrestler. he reminds me of a fat, short Test.
6/10 in every category, not bad but certainly not great.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Wish he would go back to being the Prizefighter. This Face of America thing sucks, and it was terrible when he was Jericho's sidekick.

When he was on his own running his original gimmick he was great. There is a lot of potential in Kevin Owens, the guy is awesome.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
First off, KO's Universal Championship reign was unplanned, if Midget Balor hadn't fucked up his landing and ripped his own shoulder off its sockets WWE creative wouldn't be so desperate and made such abrupt booking decisions that resulted in KO's mediocre title reign.

he doesn't scream potential like AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose, or even Roman Reigns.
Then you mention AJ and the other two guys. Sure he might not be as talented in the ring as Styles is, but he certainly surpasses him in mic skills (despite myself being a huge AJ mark) and don't even compare him to Ambrose. Apart from maybe the lack of chest hair and a six pack that faintly shows, KO is more equipped than Ambrose in every way to be World Champion.

Reigns is pretty much self-explanatory, a guy that got 3 consecutive WM main events in which 2 of them were some of the worst in recent history. A guy that can't get over despite the company's best efforts in pushing him as a face and to elicit sympathy for him. A guy that has done honestly nothing memorable or extraordinary that would demonstrate to me that he's got the "X-Factor", and if anything him botching in Taker's sendoff match screams "Shit-Factor" to me. I'd say you should be doubting whether or not he has the X-Factor or not before you diss KO.

Now bow down to YOUR Face of America, Kevin Owens.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
To answer the question in the title, no he does not lack the X-Factor.

He is an exceptional talent who can talk and wrestle very well. One doesnt need to have a comic book body to have the X factor.

The only thing I dont like about him is the hardcore weapons crap that he does in the ring. He is one of the few talent in this generation who understands psychology and doesnt make a match look fake (aka Rollins, Reigns, etc).

With that said, the only thing stopping him is his stupid "face of America" booking, which I blame Vince and Creative. Let him have the old "Fight Owens Fight" prize fighter gimmick back, and he should be gold.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
Kevin Owens is gold on the mic and can sell a feud in a believable way. This is his strongest asset. He is very impressive in the ring (although even as a massive KO mark there are things even I criticise (superkicks!!)). He really is the total package.

To me his lackluster title reign was down to the booking more than anything. Sure he was extremely entertaining alongside Chris Jericho but it was not main event booking and it hurt both him and the Universal title.

This face of America stuff is really not needed as he has enough character without adding a "foreign heel" gimmick on top of it. As posters above have mentioned he needs to get back to the Prizefighter person from NXT and his early WWE run as this screamed main event.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
No, he's great on every level. The only flaw is his beer belly.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
I think so.

I know that WWE booking prevents the current roster from breaking the glass ceiling holding them back from superstardom. However, independent of that fact, I fail to see starpower in Owens.

I don't know what it is about him, but he doesn't scream potential like AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose, or even Roman Reigns. For example, I wouldn't waste a part-timer's time in a feud Kevin Owens. I know he is an HHH pet project so he'll have lots of accolades, but I think they'll be as shallow as his Universal title reign. Mind you I don't find him bland like Finn Bàlor, but I cannot imagine KO ever reaching the threshold for B+ player.

So you are telling me that Dean Ambrose is better than KO? :lol

And I knew you would somehow find A way to throw shade at Balor even tho the thread is about Kevin Owens.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Who else got that intangible 'x factor' huh ? Nobody.

I like KO as a wrestler. He's an all-rounder. Great on mic & great in ring.

"He's fat" thing is bullshit.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I think so.

Putting Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns in the same sentence as AJ Styles. :ha

I find KO pretty entertaining. Definitely more entertaining than DA and RR.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think so.

He's the victim of bad booking, pure and simple. Instead of getting him away from Jericho early on, WWE let him rot in Jericho's shadow and made him an afterthought as a world champion. He's still had some fantastic matches recently - i.e. his match at the 2017 Royal Rumble - but his frightening heel persona has all but evaporated in recent months, and his match quality isn't as great as it was in the previous years since his debut.

Also, he's super over. Wanna know how I know? At Australian live events, there are tonnes of Owens fans....and I'm not just talking adults, because I saw at least a dozen kids wearing K.O. shirts the last time I went.

He's got x-factor. But then, many of the guys on the roster do. Unfortunately, WWE just doesn't seem to know how to book talent anymore. His new gimmick, while amusing, just reinforces the "comedy heel" archetype he's been parroting for months. As much as he decimated Jericho twice, he's not really presented as a badass anymore and that's been hurting him a lot.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Great on the mic. Great in the ring. I'm not sure how charismatic he is though. Charisma and mic skills are completely different.

·
Registered
579 Posts
OP is totally correct. His mic skills are overrated. He's decent in the ring for his size. He does seem to be getting in somewhat better shape although I'm not sure if that's just from cleaning up his neckbeard/hair combo. The look does matter whether people wanna admit it or not and this guy is the farthest away from the look as anyone in the WWE other then James Ellsworth. He's great as a mid card champion with his douchey heel Schtick but keep him as far away from the main event as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts