Wrestling Forum banner

Does hot water put out fires?

4274 43
Okay, so we all know that pouring cold water on a fire will put the fire out - but what about hot water? Its still a liquid, I know, but its hot so surely it doesnt put the fire out?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,813 Posts
Found this on another site.

It would make a difference, but a tiny one. Water puts the fire out by taking all the heat out of it as it is converted to steam. Obviously, it takes more energy to heat cold water to boiling point and then convert the boiling water to steam than it takes to convert boiling water to steam. But not much - a quick Google suggests that the cold water would be about 1/8th more effective.

Water absorbs the energy of a fire by becoming steam. Firefighters learned long ago that a fine spray of water absorbed the heat much more quickly than a solid stream. Being a former firefighter, I can attest to that.

Based on that information, it is my opinion that it would take more energy for a fire to convert cold water to steam than it would with already boiling water. It takes energy to raise the temperature of water, and more energy to raise the temperature of cold water than water that is already hot. Just one of the laws of physics.

·
Banned
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found this on another site.

It would make a difference, but a tiny one. Water puts the fire out by taking all the heat out of it as it is converted to steam. Obviously, it takes more energy to heat cold water to boiling point and then convert the boiling water to steam than it takes to convert boiling water to steam. But not much - a quick Google suggests that the cold water would be about 1/8th more effective.

Water absorbs the energy of a fire by becoming steam. Firefighters learned long ago that a fine spray of water absorbed the heat much more quickly than a solid stream. Being a former firefighter, I can attest to that.

Based on that information, it is my opinion that it would take more energy for a fire to convert cold water to steam than it would with already boiling water. It takes energy to raise the temperature of water, and more energy to raise the temperature of cold water than water that is already hot. Just one of the laws of physics.
So I was right. Thanks for digging that up. Repped.

·
Banned
2,204 Posts
anything that disrupts the fire triangle will put out any flame

·
Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
Anyone else kinda hoping that his house really is on fire and he found out all he had was hot water so the first thing that popped into his head was asking us for advice?

Either way, just call the fire department. Some big muscular guys will come by with their long hoses and spray you nice and good.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A few mindfucks for you scientists here:

- what happens when you pour cold petrol on the fire?

- why does fire burn in freezing arctic temperatures?

- might killing the fire with water have something to do with the fire needing oxygen to burn?

Enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.