Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though obviously fake/predetermined, the realm in which pro wrestling takes place is meant to be some kind of fighting organization. Does it hurt the credibility of the business when an unathletic guy that looks like CM Punk is the heavyweight fighting champion of that organization? He looks more at home smoking cigarettes at a low paying service job than being a heavyweight champion of a fighting organization.

I think it does, and is part of the reason why he isn't drawing money. Someone in the past like Goldberg, Stone Cold, or Kevin Nash, the fans look at and think "that guy is legit, he'd kick some ass", most male fans look at CM Punk and just laugh at the idea of him being the "top fighter" in the world.

I know the canned smark response, but before your knee jerk reaction I will grant that he's a good talker who deserves a roster spot and screentime. Making him the world champion? That's a whole different story.

·
You spent too much time looking at my avatar and s
7,822 Posts
No, WWEs lack of focusing attention on any of the titles, mainly the WWE Championship is hurting credibility of the business. When 55 minute of a 2hr show focuses on someone who doesn't even hold a belt and an old man the blame is Vince and not the talent. It's a crying shame ZERO of the belts are the main focus of WWE. You can't blame the talent when they're not even given anything to run with.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Though obviously fake/predetermined, the realm in which pro wrestling takes place is meant to be some kind of fighting organization. Does it hurt the credibility of the business when an unathletic guy that looks like CM Punk is the heavyweight fighting champion of that organization? He looks more at home smoking cigarettes at a low paying service job than being a heavyweight champion of a fighting organization.

I think it does, and is part of the reason why he isn't drawing money. Someone in the past like Goldberg, Stone Cold, or Kevin Nash, the fans look at and think "that guy is legit, he'd kick some ass", most male fans look at CM Punk and just laugh at the idea of him being the "top fighter" in the world.

I know the canned smark response, but before your knee jerk reaction I will grant that he's a good talker who deserves a roster spot and screentime. Making him the world champion? That's a whole different story.
Yeah, that must be why most male fans chant his name and wear his merch.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I think it hurts the title situation but thru no fault of Punk's. It's obvious that unless Orton or Cena have the WWE Title, Vince views it as just another prop.

Punk being champion helps guys like him, DB and other indy guys get taken more seriously in WWE but with WWE hesitant on fully getting behind him, the usual main event spot that WWE Champions have is seemingly not available to Punk.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

At what point does having greasy hair make someone look "unathletic"? Or do you just mean "not a roided up freak"?

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
No booking him like shit does.
And booking the WWE title like shit and devaluing it does, The Undertaker could be champion now, but if you have him play a minor role every week and never end the show or main event the credibility is instantly devalued and a massive slap in the face to everyone who has won it before.

Read my thread about Cena and Yoshi Tatsu all of this has been discussed in there.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I believe he is a top fighter because, he fights, and is brilliant at it. So, uh, yeah.

Honestly most muscle bound men just remind me how fake WWE is given how limited their wrestling ability often is.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
It does make sense. Before Punk became champion at Survivor Series last year, the title was being passed around multiple times, making a true prop. With Punk fighting the likes of ADR, Miz, Jericho, Ziggler, Cena, and now Bryan as the champion, it brings back credibility to the title, which is the top title of the company, thus giving legitimacy to the company and thus to the business.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that must be why most male fans chant his name and wear his merch.
The fans who watch occasionally, used to watch, or don't go to shows are a different crowd though. From the sounds of Sunday, his audience is becoming more women and kid oriented as well.

I think his lack of credibility is why he has only drawn significant money one night in his career, otherwise he's been interchangeable with Orton or Sheamus.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
At what point does having greasy hair make someone look "unathletic"? Or do you just mean "not a roided up freak"?
He's unathletic because he's not athletic; he doesn't look like an athlete, nor is he particularly strong, fast, explosive, etc.

As for "credibility", I'm talking about believability, not who he faced as champ. WWE is a combat sport and CM Punk as the world's heavyweight champion fighter is not believable to any man over the age of 10, whereas Brock Lesnar or Rock is.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
No.

As a matter of fact, since being champion he's given the title, there the company overall legitimacy because he isn't a Cena or an Orton.
It does make sense.

Having another guy with legit talent being able to become the champion makes the whole company more credible, I dont dislike The Miz but his title run is not a good reflection of wrestling, Punk brings back that credibility because when The Miz was champ the title was tarnished as he just wasnt ready to carry it.

The Miz has the potential but he was forced into it too soon because there was nobody else, now we have three pushing 4,5 potential legit champs.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
WWE took the title from Cena and gave it to Punk to help put a newer guy over. Then devalued the belt in order to still make Cena the number 1 guy somehow. No hope for the company as it stands. The thing is, if you take the time to watch perhaps 1 episode of Superstars or NXT, the guys do have some talent. It's just none are given the chance. We say that none have the "it" factor or whatever, but how do we know if they arnt given a chance? Cena is an absolute parasite to the company in this sense. I mean, would it hurt to keep Cena-Johnny in the middle of the show, then have Punk close the show each week with the title? I don't think he has closed a PPV once since being champ

·
The Sundance Kid
18,526 Posts
If Cena in his brightly colored clothes and his pussy punches doesn't hurt the credibility of the business then I don't see how Punk could.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,440 Posts
They aren't doing it like they used too. In fact, kids and women are chanting it more.
Dude that only happened at OTL because the male fans wanted Bryan's name to be heard "as well" as CM Punk, not in spite of him. They knew that the women and children will always chant for the top faces, so they decided to help Bryan out by cheering him. I don't think this is a far off explanation.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only he is athletic, he is strong, he is fast, and he is an athlete for a living, so uh, try again.
CM Punk is not an athlete by virtue of being a WWE wrestler, come on kid. Hornswoggle and Mick Foley are not athletes.

There are probably a dozen or more guys at your local gym right now that are physically stronger than CM Punk... not good. If you think CM Punk is "fast" I don't know what to tell you.

All that is a problem when males over the age of 10 want to suspend disbelief.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts