Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are some guys at my work that watch wrestling like me. The other day we were discussing this past Monday Night Raw about the events that unfolded and it hit me. Even though these people know the show's are staged(supposedly) they still speak about wrestling events in kayfabe terms. Like "Sandow was stupid to cash in on Cena like that." or "The Shield suck because they are bullies." or "Cena doesn't bury people. He's just really good and never gives up." There are a lot more examples and some are pretty cringe worthy.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it because I like throwing in some kayfabe logic in the discussions but these people speak EXCLUSIVELY in kayfabe language. It's to the point where it doesn't even occur to them the motives behind certain decisions. It's like discussing wrestling with a 5 year old except that they are adults.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

·
GENKI D&
1,904 Posts
It's actually way more fun sometimes. It takes you back to the root of wrestling: entertainment and the ability to be enjoyed. We are too stingy a lot of the time. I do tutoring for elementary and middle school kids, and their views on wrestling are quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
No. I love explaining how things like selling and bumps work. Same goes for backstage trivia.

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually way more fun sometimes. It takes you back to the root of wrestling: entertainment and the ability to be enjoyed. We are too stingy a lot of the time. I do tutoring for elementary and middle school kids, and their views on wrestling are quite interesting.
I do the same sometimes. It is fun. But not when discussing things wrestling politics and whatnot. Got vary it up a bit ya know?

·
No Kings
422 Posts
I watch/discuss wrestling with casual friends all the time. Some of them just like seeing insane bumps/high risk moves and never ask questions (have to pull out some older matches for that sometimes), while some of them are starting to better understand the politics of booking and whatnot. It's a fine balance.

·
GENKI D&
1,904 Posts
Oh, I thought you guys were talking about wrestling in like how the show was or the story lines and characters. If I'm talking about politics and selling, I don't even approach a casual about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For me at least, talking about wrestling without the level of abstraction that is kayfabe tends to add far too many words for my taste. For instance "It was silly for Sandow to cash in on Cena like that." vs. "It was silly for them to book Sandow to cash in on Cena in that way since it seems like such a bad decision in kayfabe." If you add up sentences like that over long thoughts in a conversation as opposed to short message board, it tends to make thoughts needlessly longwinded. Best to just stick to kayfabe terms whenever possible and know that when someone questions the logic of a kayfabe decision they're really questioning why it would be booked in a way that doesn't seem logical.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Nope. It's better than hearing about how wrestling is fake and homoerotic. Not news to me. :punk2

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes. I went to pick up my WWE 2K14 copy and the Gamestop employee ask me "who's my favorite wrestler?". So I say Kane then he says, Isn't Kane and Undertaker the same person?". :kobe :lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
I mean, there's nothing wrong with it because I like throwing in some kayfabe logic in the discussions but these people speak EXCLUSIVELY in kayfabe language.
Assuming they are casuals, I would say that it sounds pretty normal to me.

In my experience, people tend to discuss TV-shows in an in-universe fashion, like "OMG, Rachel and Ross should totally get back together" (to quote one of my ex GFs), rather than "the writers of friends should come up with a scenario that would make it plausible for Schwimmer and Anistons respective characters to see past their storyline problems and have a functional and happy relationship, because a majority of the fanbase would tune in to see their collective frustrations finnaly be resolved so the ratings of the show would skyrocket, not to mention that NBC would probably make a huge wad of money from advertising."

Generally speaking, only the more hardcore fans tends to make an effort to be knowledgable about the off-screen dealings and doings.
The average viewer, of whatever show it might be, will be perfectly contempt to just sit back and enjoy the entertainment for a couple of hours, without straining their minds to think what might be taking place behind the scenes, and how it will effect future storylines, because that side of things just doesn´t interest them all that much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No. There actually more pleasant to talk to than most smarks actually. More positive too.
exactly,
when I talk to a smark about an event and their fav loses
OMG he was berried,their berrin him,he should have got that push but no we got to deal with the people cheering this other guy like sheep.They dont even know a wristlock form a wristwatch.I bet they don't even know who Lou Thesz was or what NJPW or Jim Crockett promotions.

or when he wins,oh theyre just gonna berry him later on,see all these people recognize talent not that roidhead,they won't make him main event bc theyre always pandering to these sheep

when I talk to a casual or a hardcore fan that's not a smark

Their either positive or negative about the results but theyre not talking about pushes,berries,writers,producers,ratings,ppv buys,"workrate"
It's always in kayfabe if you will.
Like if youre watching a tv show ,usually when you talk about it to someone they dont talk about backstage,the writing team,they talk about what they see on screen.

So instead of berries or push,it's
Did you see that match,and then they talk about the match as if it's reality like a sport.
There's more enthusiasm and excitement when they do positive or negative.It doesn't feel like you're talking to a critic dissecting everything or a hipster
it feels like and it's like youre talking to a fan which you are

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
I think it's something to do with different personalities liking things for different reasons. There are always those who want to be the GM's, the Coaches (and I guess Bookers in wrestling language) who will be vastly outnumbered by those who find their entertainment through kayfabe only.

I started losing interest in the actual goings on in the ring and started becoming more interested in the behind the scenes stuff after the Montreal screwjob. But even that level of interest didn't really peak till after the Benoit murders/suicide. I needed to know what led to a wrestler becoming a murderer and that's where I started happening upon all of the stuff that goes on backstage.

·
GENKI D&
1,904 Posts
The kids are really innocent with their opinions, even the ones who can separate kayfabe and reality. My Smark friends are always like "Aw shit, Kofi got buried." The kids are like, "Aw, Kofi barely lost that one. Hope he gets it next time.", or "Kofi deserves a shot but ____ that beat him is probably going to be a major player."

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The kids are really innocent with their opinions, even the ones who can separate kayfabe and reality. My Smark friends are always like "Aw shit, Kofi got buried." The kids are like, "Aw, Kofi barely lost that one. Hope he gets it next time.", or "Kofi deserves a shot but ____ that beat him is probably going to be a major player."
True about the kids, I recently hung out with my little nine and twelve year old cousins. Both really into wrestling and the twelve year olds favorite wrestler was John cena, I let them borrow some ppv DVDs I had from money in the bank 2011 to extreme rules 2012 and the nine year old was excited about some of the Kelly Kelly matches.
bless. Their hearts

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
So there are some guys at my work that watch wrestling like me. The other day we were discussing this past Monday Night Raw about the events that unfolded and it hit me. Even though these people know the show's are staged(supposedly) they still speak about wrestling events in kayfabe terms. Like "Sandow was stupid to cash in on Cena like that." or "The Shield suck because they are bullies." or "Cena doesn't bury people. He's just really good and never gives up." There are a lot more examples and some are pretty cringe worthy.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it because I like throwing in some kayfabe logic in the discussions but these people speak EXCLUSIVELY in kayfabe language. It's to the point where it doesn't even occur to them the motives behind certain decisions. It's like discussing wrestling with a 5 year old except that they are adults.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
Yes, the exact same one, with my cousin. I got irritated and I was like "dude, wrestling is staged. Him winning doesn't make him the best" and he turned to me like "I know that, but if you talk about it like it's staged then what's the point?"

Which is fair enough to be honest. There's more than one way to enjoy pro wrestling.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Yes. I went to pick up my WWE 2K14 copy and the Gamestop employee ask me "who's my favorite wrestler?". So I say Kane then he says, Isn't Kane and Undertaker the same person?". :kobe :lol
Funny story but I'm pretty sure they are. I mean you never see them in the same place at the same time.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
No. There actually more pleasant to talk to than most smarks actually. More positive too.
Exactly. Better than talking to some fucks who can't stop talking about ratings and burials. In fact I'd rather talk to some homophobic asshole who thinks I'm gay for watching wrestling rather than most smarks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts