Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the good of the company - to help get somebody else over.

John is the main man. The most popular peformer with kids and females, he no doubt plays a huge part in ticket sales for house shows and PPVs. His merchandise sells like crazy.

However, while he is the focal point of the company, the near invincible superface, it is very difficult for another act to break through into mega star status. Especially as Vince is reluctant to push heels as anything but cowardly, with the exception of part-timer Brock Lesnar.

Maybe if John Cena - who has been in this posistion for 7 years - took an extended vacation, then somebody else would be able to properly break through. Would guys like Austin, Rock and Triple H have had such a good run if Hart, Michaels, Luger and Diesel were around at the time? Mr Levesque took an extended break, in the process helping John and Dave Batista become the focal point of the company.

As it is, the only noticeable 'draws' are Cena, followed by Punk and Orton (who has been in a top position for 8 years). Hence they rely so heavily on stars of the past (i.e. The Rock, Undertaker, Chris Jericho etc).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Super Cena needs to just leave... he's done it all because he sells merchandise and kids love him. He is holding back people like Sheamus or Brodus Clay to getting to main event a lot

·
Registered
560 Posts
Before Cena leaves, someone needs to be elevated to his position so that they could be put in a position to carry the company.

Right now the next in line is Punk and he's clearly a notch beneath Cena.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
If WWE can't properly build up talent with Cena, than no way they can without.

However, on the interest side, I wouldn't mind seeing Cena getting demolished by Lesnar at Extreme Rules and put on the shelf, only to return a few weeks before Summerslam. Have him return with more of an attitude and eventually turn heel.

Cena is a guy who rarely gets injured and when he does, he's back in no time. The guy desperately needs a break to pump life back into his character. This should have happened after his loss to The Rock.

If he does remain all the way till Summerslam, at least take him off TV afterwards for the remainder of the year and have him return at Royal Rumble. Either way, if he does take a break, hopefully he comes back edgier and eventually as a heel.

EDIT: In his absence, build up Kofi as a main eventer. I find it totally idiotic that Kofi is still not a main eventer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If WWE can't properly build up talent with Cena, than no way they can without.

However, on the interest side, I wouldn't mind seeing Cena getting demolished by Lesnar at Extreme Rules and put on the shelf, only to return a few weeks before Summerslam. Have him return with more of an attitude and eventually turn heel.

Cena is a guy who rarely gets injured and when he does, he's back in no time. The guy desperately needs a break to pump life back into his character. This should have happened after his loss to The Rock.

If he does remain all the way till Summerslam, at least take him off TV afterwards for the remainder of the year and have him return at Royal Rumble. Either way, if he does take a break, hopefully he comes back edgier and eventually as a heel.

EDIT: In his absence, build up Kofi as a main eventer. I find it totally idiotic that Kofi is still not a main eventer.
Kofi? Are you kidding me....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, Kofi. It ain't like WWE has that many choices of guys who already have been groomed for the main event scene.

Hell, if it wasn't for Orton blaming Kofi for something he had no control over, he was destined to be a main eventer.
Ugh it would go from SuperCena to SuperKofi. Whats the difference? Shirts going BOOM BOOM BOOM everywhere on every little kid mark..

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Ugh it would go from SuperCena to SuperKofi. Whats the difference? Shirts going BOOM BOOM BOOM everywhere on every little kid mark..
So you have a problem with any superstar that is mostly supported by little kids?

Don't blame Kofi for his fanbase. The guy deserves a push and it's bullshit that he has been setback twice for incidents he had no control over.

This all goes back to a lack of stars. He's the only face currently on the roster who has yet to receive a main event push that, IMO, can succeed in if given the opportunity.

What would be the difference between SuperCena, SuperKofi and whoever else WWE pushes as the next top face?

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
I don't see what it would accomplish. I mean from 92'-95', Hogan was thought to be on the way out. Don't really think it helped Hogan and sure as hell would only help Cena if he went TNA on his return.

The more I think about the "super Cena era" I wonder if the following was not the intention in the first place. Create Hogan 2 shove him down our faces for ten years and gradually phase him out until he jumps to TNA. Make TNA an actual player this way, where he even would have the support and ability to wrestle, Hogan 1. Knowing how much of a POS Hogan is, have Hogan beat Cena in TNA which buries the company and have the rematch in the WWE. If it sounds crazy well it is, but that doesn't mean WWE wouldn't do it.

·
Banned
401 Posts
So you have a problem with any superstar that is mostly supported by little kids?

Don't blame Kofi for his fanbase. The guy deserves a push and it's bullshit that he has been setback twice for incidents he had no control over.

This all goes back to a lack of stars. He's the only face currently on the roster who has yet to receive a main event push that, IMO, can succeed in if given the opportunity.

What would be the difference between SuperCena, SuperKofi and whoever else WWE pushes as the next top face?
I agree with you. I don't think Kofi has to be child only draw though.

SuperKofi could stand a gimmick change to more of a badass Bob Marley type and still have kids as well as a legit adult fanbase. I mean who doesn't like Bob Marley? Kofi has the in ring talent to be big star.

He needs to be given the ball though. I could see some really great feuds between him and Punk or Ziggler. It just needs to be done.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Before Cena leaves, someone needs to be elevated to his position so that they could be put in a position to carry the company.
I think the point of the OP is that with Cena still there it is impossible for somebody go get to that spot. Cena needs to leave so that the next guy can step up and not be overshadowed by Cena, just like as the OP put it other top guys did before him. Had Bret, Shawn Michaels, etc not gone away for a bit (in fact had WCW not stolen tons of WWE top talent) guys like Austin, Rock, etc would not be the stars they are today. I think I agree with that.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
I agree with you. I don't think Kofi has to be child only draw though.

SuperKofi could stand a gimmick change to more of a badass Bob Marley type and still have kids as well as a legit adult fanbase. I mean who doesn't like Bob Marley? Kofi has the in ring talent to be big star.

He needs to be given the ball though. I could see some really great feuds between him and Punk or Ziggler. It just needs to be done.
I agree.

Kofi doesn't have to be marketed directly towards children to still be a potential top face. Before anybody can knock the potential of Kofi as a main eventer, he has to be given the chance first. WWE lacks performers who are capable of succeeding in that position and Kofi is one of the few who I think can.

I'm not saying he will be the next big superstar but he can definately be a main event face. I would love to see heel Cena feud with a face Kofi. That would be pretty big to me, based on the current roster.

·
Registered
17 Posts

People like Kofi would be carried by their support from kids,they would not have to be good in the ring or have good mic skills. Kofi is OK in the ring but on mic.....my ass after eating a can of beans could cut a better promo then him

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Cena does need to take a break. Its necessary, he should have taken that break after MITB. It wouldn't have hurt business considering Punk was a hot item at the time.

Anytime the dominant face drops the torch he takes time off: Hogan in 91, Hitman in 96, Austin 2000 etc. Its Cena's time to take a break. I feel like the E missed the boat because Punk was already there and the storyline was there (Vince threatened to fire Cena if he lost anyway) and the stage looked to be set for Punk to take over as top face.

It makes sense to allow the new face to take root and be given the chance to flourish.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
People like Kofi would be carried by their support from kids,they would not have to be good in the ring or have good mic skills. Kofi is OK in the ring but on mic.....my ass after eating a can of beans could cut a better promo then him
Neither where countless other main eventers on the mic. You act as if a lack of mic skills means a superstar doesn't deserve a main event push.

Besides, Brock Lesnar is a helluva lot worser than Kofi on the mic and he was groomed as the next big thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Neither where countless other main eventers on the mic. You act as if a lack of mic skills means a superstar doesn't deserve a main event push.

Besides, Brock Lesnar is a helluva lot worser than Kofi on the mic and he was groomed as the next big thing.
Yeah, because Lesnar is a great wrestler, better then Kofi. Lesnars in ring skills made up for his lack off mic skills, while Kofis in ring skills are meh, would not make up for his lack of mic skills.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
I agree.

Kofi doesn't have to be marketed directly towards children to still be a potential top face. Before anybody can knock the potential of Kofi as a main eventer, he has to be given the chance first. WWE lacks performers who are capable of succeeding in that position and Kofi is one of the few who I think can.

I'm not saying he will be the next big superstar but he can definately be a main event face. I would love to see heel Cena feud with a face Kofi. That would be pretty big to me, based on the current roster.
I seriously think if what Jak said was done with the Bob Marley gimmick or maybe a mix between Marley/Hendrix, actually done with some good stories and feuds (unlike JoMo who could have been great) Kofi could be amazing in the main event. I also agree GoHam that Kofi is one of the few performers that has IT and could be a long term player in the main event.

He reminds me of Shawn Michaels when he was in the Rockers. Kofi just needs to be edgy or for the love of GOD just given a chance. I saw him live in 2010 and he has a fanbase. At the show I attended Orton, DX, Bret and Kofi got the loudest ovations, Kofi's was extremely impressive.

I think an interesting way to push Kofi, would be at 29. Give him a match versus Cody Rhodes early on but have him interfere with Undertaker's match with someone. Not saying end the streak. Saying have him try and fail. Then have a storyline where he gets a little bit darker and darker as a big name like Hunter or Rock comments on the failure, culminating in him absolutely burying them and just push from there.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Yeah, because Lesnar is a great wrestler, better then Kofi. Lesnars in ring skills made up for his lack off mic skills, while Kofis in ring skills are meh, would not make up for his lack of mic skills.
Kofi is one of the better in ring performers on the current roster and he deserves a push. He's a helluva lot better than Sheamus. Not to mention, he's good friends with Punk. Maybe that will come into play.

But you act as if Kofi is completely horrible all around. I'm not saying make him the next top guy but at least properly push him so that when/if Cena takes a break, you have a guy well qualified to take over while he's gone.

Punk would be better off as a heel, so not him and definately not Santino or Zack Ryder. Basically, there are no other faces on RAW besides Kofi who could hold it down when/if Cena goes on hiatus or even gets injured.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Says the guy who suggested Brodus Clay. I do agree kofi is never going to be the guy, unless he makes some kind of Character change. The only guys I see with Main event potentiale is Skip, Drew and The Miz.
As main event faces?

Why do people act as if the individual character has to make his own change? I'm pretty sure Kofi doesn't have enough rank to decide what color tights he wants to wear.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts