Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some buzz about guys like Sami Callihan and Jon Moxley. Since they have been involved in 'Deathmatches', are they off WWE's radar?

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I don't think it necessarily eliminates you. It's the performer and what he can do that counts.

There are some guys that do hardcore/death matches because that's just what they know how to do, and it covers the lack of tangible qualities that they have. But in the case of guys like Jon Moxley, that's only one of the many things he's good at.

Mox is rising up lately and showing himself to be a complete performer, and at a good size for WWE, one should think he'd be scouted sooner or later.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
I don't think it necessarily disqualifies anyone from WWE's list of candidates.

It's just the fact that so many of the indy guys who choose to participate in Death Matches... well, they usually suck. It's really that simple. You'll rarely come across a genuinely skilled worker who regularly participates in Death Matches.

Finding talented wrestlers, those who are capable of doing more than just shitty garbage wrestling, in Death Match federations is like picking the virgin out of a sorority house. Some are out there. But they're generally the exception, never the rule.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think deatthmatches eliminates you from WWE consideration. I'm fairly sure that CM Punk and Evan Bourne have been in at least one deathmatch in their independent days.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Not if you can work. Foley's and Funk's psychology was top notch, unlike most death-match workers today. Weapons should be props to add to the story.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Foley and Funk are one-of-a-kind guys. I hope to shit that WWE never even considers hiring the Deliverance hicks that make up IWA and CZW rosters.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
There are some guys that do hardcore/death matches because that's just what they know how to do, and it covers the lack of tangible qualities that they have. But in the case of guys like Jon Moxley, that's only one of the many things he's good at.
Correct.

Of course, yes Vince will take somebody on if they're talented enough. That's just logic.

BUT if any of these guys could wrestle like Daniel Bryan then they'd probably be in ROH, wrestling like Daniel Bryan. People tend to mistake "taking pain" with being a badass, and it makes them think if he's a badass then he should be in the main event. This is just delusional.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I think Jon Moxley is way too much of a loose cannon and not pg enough right now for WWE unless he refrained himself from using curse words and toned down his screaming and crazyness a little bit. Also all I really know of Moxley is his recent feud with another brawler type of wrestler, Jimmy Jacobs so it's hard for me to right away jump on and say Moxley is a great wrestler or something. I don't know much of the guy other then that he makes his promos seem as real and angry as I've seen in the last few years by any wrestler.

Now as far as Deathmatches go I think WWE just doesn't see anything in CZW wrestlers. If they can get out of there and work well in ROH, PWG, or wherever else or even TNA and prove they can really wrestle and have a decent to good look and can deliever on a promo I don't see why they wouldn't. It's not like CZW makes a wrestler a automatic slash out but it's defenately at the bottom of the indy fed food chain if WWE talent agencies even know about it, which they probably do.

Today the term deathmatch means a completely different thing then in the 90's. Today deathmatches are usually wrestled in CZW, some other indy feds and peoples backyards. Back in the 90's though a deathmatch was more of just a overexageragted name for a gimmick match that is very similar to a Last Man Standing match only you have to pin your opponent before the 10 count begins and submissions would automatically end the match. All in all though I know that doesn't matter to all of this but I'm just saying.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
I'm a big fan of Jimmy Jacobs for his work in ROH, but even he has received some harsh criticism for his inconsistency in selling and in-ring psychology.

Jacobs has been exceptional in just about every gimmick match I've ever seen him in - from Street Fights to Cage Matches and I Quit Matches - but it takes more than high spots and weapons to really work and convey the appropriate story that needs to be told.

Too many indy guys take a big, death-defying move. They'll kick out and then quickly spring back to their feet, run the ropes, and move into the next high spot. It's just an endless sequence of bumps like that. There's no real selling, no genuine sympathy, and no real heat.

Thus, as a result, there's no real purpose. It's just a big stunt show.

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
If no one dies in a death match then what's the point?

Reactions: 21 - 1

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Two reasons why it would. If you're in death matches it means you're stupid enough to do death matches, and the health and safety forms you have to fill out to put retards in a wrestling ring are rediculous enoguh to eliminate you from consideration. Being in death matches also tends to mean that you have nothing better to do. If you're only able to make people watch you if you're killing yourself you're not exactly marketable are you? Common sence dictates that WWE's not going to invest in a cripled unmarketable wrestler?

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
You can't keep good talent down. If they were top quality and wanted to be in the WWE, they would be.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Two reasons why it would. If you're in death matches it means you're stupid enough to do death matches, and the health and safety forms you have to fill out to put retards in a wrestling ring are rediculous enoguh to eliminate you from consideration. Being in death matches also tends to mean that you have nothing better to do. If you're only able to make people watch you if you're killing yourself you're not exactly marketable are you? Common sence dictates that WWE's not going to invest in a cripled unmarketable wrestler?
You sound so ridiculous right now.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
You do know that Punk and Eddie were in IWA right?
Again, one-of-a-kind guys who didn't have to staple shit to their foreheads to entertain a crowd. I only hate the fat, talentless slobs who smash their faces with glass and other stupid shit. I don't want to see them anywhere near WWE.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Can someone please explain this whole deathmatch thing? All I have heard is that they are super violent.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Like someone explained earlier, deatchmatches are sort of hardcore Last Man Standing matches, coming from the style named ultra-violence, basically a more extreme version of hardcore wrestling with highflying (if the guys are skinny) and use of barbed wires, glass in many variations and extremely sick spots.

TNA and WWE don't really have that equipment (or at least I never saw it in WWE hardcore or TNA monsters ball matches), CZW is just so much different from normal wrestling that it only appeals to a certain group who don't care about psychology, charisma and character, basically fans of gory wrestling minus the showmanship. Here and there you get exceptions such as Punk, Hero and others working there in the past but in general you see a show full of Necrobutchers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts