Wrestling Forum banner

Does Barrett need a gimmick?

1651 22
He's currently a bland and generic big guy heel.

Why should we care he's a 'bare knuckle fighter' anyway...
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
YES. He's like a horribly constructed CAW with a British accent. All I can do is sit and stare at his stupid fucking shoulder tattoo. Great mic skills, but like said in another thread, there is a fine line between mic skills and charisma. His atrocious gear and entrance themes (and even worse in-ring skills) don't help either.

He'll be a great superstar someday, but just like every other WWE trained product before him it will be years before he's even capable of standing credible in the caliber that they've been pushing him in. It took Batista years to be credible in his own shoes, and although Barrett isn't quite that bad... the only way we're even going to give a fuck about him is if he has some sort of gimmick. Or, I dunno, a gameplan? He seems so non-threatening.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Gimmicks are an outdated idea that have no place in wrestling in 2012 with kayfabe well and truly shattered. Just let the guy be himself, give him a creative storyline to get to the top with.....why they did this the first time, then dropped the ball, I'll never understand, and give him a theme that will allow him to become a world champion, because he's doomed as long as he's using this. If they could actually commit to somebody who isn't Del Rio or Sheamus for once and did this, it would pay dividends for them, but as it stands, that's not gonna happen.

· Registered
6,923 Posts
Gimmicks are an outdated idea that have no place in wrestling in 2012 with kayfabe well and truly shattered. Just let the guy be himself, give him a creative storyline to get to the top with.....why they did this the first time, then dropped the ball, I'll never understand, and give him a theme that will allow him to become a world champion, because he's doomed as long as he's using this. If they could actually commit to somebody who isn't Del Rio or Sheamus for once and did this, it would pay dividends for them, but as it stands, that's not gonna happen.
He still needs something to make the people in the arena care about him. IMO when they played out this Orton injury angle they should have let Wade completely destroy him ... In the ring..

I really hope they change his theme and make him stand tall in the end against Orton

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
He still needs something to make the people in the arena care about him. IMO when they played out this Orton injury angle they should have let Wade completely destroy him ... In the ring..

I really hope they change his theme and make him stand tall in the end against Orton
Yeah, I know he does, that was kind of the reason I said he needed a creative storyline. Most people don't just get over by doing routine, boring angles, especially when they always come out of them looking worse.

· Registered
127 Posts
I don't think it's so much that theme "awesomeness" should be regulated by a system of how hard you are being pushed. I think that what the WWE needs to do is stop picking up these generic rock themes from shitty ass post-grunge bands. It's not that hard to make a good theme or find a workable song to a character. J Johnston has been REALLY hit-and-miss as of late.

And what I mean by gimmick isn't exactly the literal wrestling interpretation. When I look at modern gimmicks, I look at somebody who has a fleshed out character. Somebody who stands for something, or has some goal or motive they strive towards. Barrett Barrage was an okay concept, but how do you build such a character up as a bad-ass brawler type when he can't go, can't sell, and every time he's matched up with a competitor just gets completely owned. If they want to take him in that route, make him more of the methodical and sneaky heel. He's great on the mic, just give him something to breathe life into what he says.

Or hire new writers. But I've been saying that for a while.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
No. He's fine the way he is. The arrogant Brit is his gimmmick. There isn't a need to add more to it. Just book him as a credible heel and he'll be fine.
This

Reactions: BieberHole69

· Registered
127 Posts
His presence just doesn't match the style that he's supposed to portray, i.e. the "brawler" type. When you hear the guy talk he sounds like he's a smart, methodical heel who will one-up you no matter how hard you try. But his arrogance is played out in the vein of "I'm a tough guy, you can't defeat me, random generic lines here, blah blah blah, etc." Give him more than just a meaningless vendetta -- or at least book him as such if you want to build him as such, otherwise let him take his arrogance in a different route on the stick. Because at this point that's almost all he has going for him.

· Banned
1,635 Posts
he needs a handlebar mustache, I'm dead serious. It'll help tremendously.

the bare knuckle fighter background? they haven't done shit with it. He doesn't talk about it, only Cole does and Cole is shitty at building characters on commentary.

I really have no idea what to do for Wade, he's extremely boring to watch in the ring. And outside of his feud with Cena, he hasn't done anything
interesting IMO.

I'd start with the handlebar mustache, new music, maybe some creepy carnival theme meets Jack the Ripper. His theme music should sound like an old world villain. Not some prepubescent rock group. Regal's theme was perfect for this.

Also get him a new finisher, have him watch some Arn Anderson tapes.

· Registered
14,994 Posts
His entrance music is shite, always has been. It's very important to have kickass entrance music that fits.

I'd consider putting William Regal with him in an adviser's capacity. Regal accompanies him to the ring, but heads to commentary to put Barrett over during his matches. At points Regal could leave the announcers booth to interfere on Barrett's behalf.

· Premium Member
19,225 Posts
He has the gimmick of being the well spoken, Englishman, who apparently has a background in bare-knuckle fighting but he never showcases it. If I was WWE's position, I would make him showcase more of his bare-knuckle fighting background by giving him various punching and jab combinations, that would be unique to him, and would help him stand out from the generic ''big guy'' moveset he has now.

I would also make him embrace more of his English roots, by referencing more of his English pride in his promos, as ignorant Americans will boo anything that isn't ''USA, USA, USA''. Coming out with a rose in his jacket, and mentioning ''God save the queen'' one time isn't enough English pride. He needs to go full-blown on the gimmick, and yes it's stereotypical, but stereotypical gimmicks, for the most part, actually work and get over. Wade Barrett embracing more of his English background would also make him stand out more on the current roster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.