Wrestling Forum banner

Does anyone know the story behind Sid kicking out of Hulk's legdrop at Mania 8?

10487 Views 21 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Bobby Brainbuster
I have heard that it went off as booked because Vince wanted to keep Sid strong for after Hogan left, and Warrior's return was meant to offshoot any disappointment in the lack of a finish. But it just seems unthinkable that Vince would book a Mania main event to end on a DQ.

The other version of events is that Sid went into business for himself and kicked out when he wasn't supposed to, but this seems even less likely as surely Vince would have gone nuclear on any wrestler who took it upon themselves to change a planned Wrestlemania main event finish? Sid never seemed to suffer any consequences and worked for Vince many times over the following years and got a couple of world title reigns and even another Mania main event.

Anyone know the facts?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,169 Posts
wasnt papa shango supposed to interfere earlier than he did? wasnt he supposed to break up the pin but missed his cue so sid had to kick out? thats what i thought anyway.

· Registered
6,867 Posts
lol

a miscue made Sid a legend. :lmao

· Registered
9,377 Posts
Yeah, I heard that Papa Shango didn't make it to the ring in time. The aisle at Wrestlemania 8 was really long - he looked tired out by the time he got to the ring.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
And he got a hoe train for his efforts.

· Registered
861 Posts
papa shango was suppose to interfere early but there was a miscue, Sid had no choice but to kick out.
Interesting...I'll have to watch this.

Hey is Layla's natural hair curly??!

· Registered
9,377 Posts
They should've booked Sid to win this match. Hogan knew that he'd be back in WWF once the steroid scandal was over, so they could've planned a rematch for Wrestlemania IX. Having Sid seemingly end Hogan's career would've made Sid a mega heel. It would've been incredible; Hogan being power bombed through a commentary desk, perhaps. I know that they liked to end Wrestlemania on a high back then, so they could've had the Flair/Savage match as the main event.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
The Papa Shango thing was the impression I had all these years. If you look at the count by Earl Hebner, it is REALLY slow because I think he too was waiting for Papa Shango to appear but didn't see him anywhere.

· Celestial Messiah
38,520 Posts
They should've booked Sid to win this match. Hogan knew that he'd be back in WWF once the steroid scandal was over, so they could've planned a rematch for Wrestlemania IX. Having Sid seemingly end Hogan's career would've made Sid a mega heel. It would've been incredible; Hogan being power bombed through a commentary desk, perhaps. I know that they liked to end Wrestlemania on a high back then, so they could've had the Flair/Savage match as the main event.
Except Vince would have never let Wrestlemania end like that. Sid was still just barely in the company, and I dont think I ever saw him again after Wrestlemania until Wrestlemania 11.

Sid was just, weird. He never really stayed anywhere for that long.

· Registered
9,377 Posts
Except Vince would have never let Wrestlemania end like that. Sid was still just barely in the company, and I dont think I ever saw him again after Wrestlemania until Wrestlemania 11.

Sid was just, weird. He never really stayed anywhere for that long.
Wrestlemania VIII should have ended with Savage/Flair. It was a much bigger storyline and a much better feud. Also, Sid had been with the company for about 8 months. He was in a huge Wrestlemania match with Hogan, so they obviously had some faith in him. He left in the summer of 1992, so he was around for a few more months. I just think that it would've been a great way to build up Sid's character and set up a massive rematch for Wrestlemania IX.

Does anyone know why Sid left in '92? I'm guessing it was steroids or something.

· Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,268 Posts
considering he self admittedly only has half a brain Im surprised he managed to improv the finish...
I kid of course

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.