Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aside from Punk and Bryan. It seems to me that Tony Khan is the biggest draw when it comes on promoting his company compared to the likes of Kenny or Moxley. He gets a lot of clicks or views and other exposure but I think its the wrestlers job to be the ones drawing those kind of numbers.

You wouldn't see Vince doing this shit but Roman and others are the ones who are promoting their company in the media.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just I feel that the top stars should step up their game.
What do you guys think of this?

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
i think if a owner wants to be as involved in his company as tony is its important he promotes it as much as possible and of course promotes it the way he wants. I think thats what it comes down to is tony wants people to understand and see aew the way he wants it to be seen. so the rest of the guys cant really do that. they invest in themselves far to much to be promotion promoters at all. Like tony no one gives a shit about him as a person where we are caring about what he does or how hes presented or any of that. hes just doing the one job he should and thats why it works. bucks and cody ect the most important thing is presenting themselves over the product.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Now I'm trying to imagine Vince McMahon using Twitter

Also, couldn't this have gone in one of the 10 other threads about Tony Khan's tweets on the first page?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i think if a owner wants to be as involved in his company as tony is its important he promotes it as much as possible and of course promotes it the way he wants. I think thats what it comes down to is tony wants people to understand and see aew the way he wants it to be seen. so the rest of the guys cant really do that. they invest in themselves far to much to be promotion promoters at all. Like tony no one gives a shit about him as a person where we are caring about what he does or how hes presented or any of that. hes just doing the one job he should and thats why it works. bucks and cody ect the most important thing is presenting themselves over the product.
I'd argue that Jericho is doing what he can, or at least he used to. He's become... silent.

·
Registered
32,149 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with him promoting, just because Vince is more low-key these days doesn't mean it's the only right way. It is hard to say if he's actually a good promoter though. This is judging him against Dana White who granted has a shit ton more experience promoting. But one thing about Dana is he isn't all that concerned with placating how hardcore fans, MMA journalists, or even the fans feel. Man strictly lives to promote to those fans who might not be a lock to watch UFC every weekend. Right now Tony is great at preaching to the choir, but the next step is being able to sell to folk that aren't tuned in regardless.

Example here's Dana selling undercard fights on why they're can't miss.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
12,711 Posts
I actually wish Vince would do the same, it would be great to see. Nothing wrong with the big boss pushing his own company out there.

·
Hiding in the shadows
2,218 Posts
In most cities AEW has run in, several talent have been on local radio, local TV news, etc. promoting the show. Tony Khan speaks to the international audience around the world. He's the Boss, he should be out there taking questions, answering questions, hyping a show or PPV. Whether or not you like the way he does things, one thing you can't say, is that he sits behind a desk as CEO, doing, essentially, nothing for the company.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Yeah more like Dana White than Vince in this instance. I think it's pretty cool. He's the one in charge of everything so it's cool to hear from him firsthand.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think it's working for them though. Outside of the narky little moaners, most people likely deem AEW to be a good working environment, which is down to Tony Khan and his more up-to-date management skills. Rather than being like a Victorian factory owner, Khan actually values his staff's input and wellbeing, which reflects well on the actual promotion itself. A happy company equals wrestlers that try hard. How often do you watch an AEW match that feels thrown together and like no one involved cares?

·
Registered
453 Posts
TK comes across as that young tech upstart kind of guy who decided to start a Wrestling Company. Fits right in with the current times and the perfect face for a company in todays world.

Makes sense to have his face attached to everything AEW. Shows that they are run by a fresh face in an old industry and the polar opposite of an old man meat head carny.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
TK comes across as that young tech upstart kind of guy who decided to start a Wrestling Company. Fits right in with the current times and the perfect face for a company in todays world.

Makes sense to have his face attached to everything AEW. Shows that they are run by a fresh face in an old industry and the polar opposite of an old man meat head carny.
He isn't the perfect face for the people at all, he's the opposite. He's the kind of person the general public hate.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Khan actually values his staff's input and wellbeing
Tell that to the people with history of concussions who he's allowed to work dangerous spots.

Values staff input, yet has recently let the world know that he's the boss and he is in charge of everything.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thankfully TK has Dave LaGreca marking out with excitement struggling to put a sentence together as he's spitting all over the microphone on a daily basis on the radio about how great AEW is.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
If you’re a young guy starting out, would you want to enter WWE’s workplace culture and have an 80yo Vince scripting you 5 years from now?

38yo Tony Kahn and his workplace culture are competitive selling points for AEW’s long-term ability to attract the best talent.

·
Premium Member
The King Of Rants
10,919 Posts
I will say even on a local independent level if a media opportunity comes up (Generally local) I myself will always allow the talent to go out there. The people want to talk to the wrestlers, the wrestlers generally are better at these types of things and it gives them a bit of a boost popularity wise if someone checks them out based on a good interview or something they say.

On a larger scale of course it should be Bryan, Punk, Sting etc doing this type of thing but as we seem to be pointing out more and more frequently Tony is a mark so I'm not surprised he is taking media opportunities for himself.

·
Registered
453 Posts
He isn't the perfect face for the people at all, he's the opposite. He's the kind of person the general public hate.
I dunno. I thought he looked like a geek originally. But then you watch him in interviews and the guy knows how to talk, how to sell his product, and has a way of talking to talent. He has got it basically.

Saying that, if he stayed in the industry long enough, wouldn't surprise me if he ended like Vince- or worse. Just through time, experience and trying to have the product the way he sees best. In the 2 short years of AEW you can see that he is starting to take more control.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts