Wrestling Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
It just comes down to bad booking. Even the best wrestling mind to ever walk the earth (Tony Khan, 2020 Wrestling Booker of the Year) can make mistakes from time to time. He’s a perfect placeholder champion if the goal is to not draw more viewers to the show.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
As far as drunk cowboy, James Storm would be by far more entertaining and memorable as Champ.

Page is the sort of guy that should have had a few more kicks at the can before becoming Champ. Maybe a run with a mid card title first to see if he can handle it.

All Friends Wrestling's booking is just not working. You don't give participation prizes, only the Top stars should be Champion in wrestling. Page is nowhere near that. That's always been the tried and true model in wrestling: you make the person Champion that drives the interest of your product, that drives the ratings, buyrates, merch and ticket sales. And only a true star can do that.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
He is OK, not great but OK

Bryan should have never lost to him. His mountain to climb should have been Bryan.
Instead Bryan is done on a TV match in a 3 week programme and now Page is in a midcard feud with Lance Archer... whilst Bryan is off TV altogether.... pretty lame.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Nope. And that’s what happens when you book him in 2 matches in months and neither of them were even in the main event.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I don't have any issue with Page as a wrestler, or with his gimmick or the long term storyline he just completed with Omega. His matches with Danielson are 2 of the best wrestling matches ever televised.

I would agree that the signings of Punk, Danielson and Cole definitely took a lot of focus from Page, and his taking a bunch of time off for paternity leave late last year didn't help. Both are understandable, but both have contributed to a dip in the hype around him.

That said, I still think that his rise to the status of legit main eventer is on track. His whole story has been that he was unsure that he was capable and worthy of a top spot. Now that he's achieved that, he has to actually step up and BE the main eventer. This is where we are in his story.

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
This.

They have big plans for him, but at the time he was facing Jericho I think he was 27-28? That's Darby and Sammys' ages now. Are they ready for the main event? Not yet but they will be down the line at some point.

They had to build him up as a character in order to get people invested.

If you don't like his teaming and then falling out with Kenny, or the the Dark Order or think the drinking angle wasn't done right or is over played cool.

But don't sit there and tell me this guy doesn't have champ written all over him at this point, especially after those matches against arguably the best wrestler in the world, because at that point you're just talking nonsense. All you have to do is hit his music and the whole arena stands up and starts cheering.

It's like people talking shit about Jade, yeah she's green, it could expose her by putting the title on her. But don't sit there and tell me she doesn't have exactly what it takes to be a star.

This is what you call a push.

This is what you do to build the future of your promotion.
A couple of points here:

1. Nobody is really invested in the guy. I know you'll respond "But the live audience!" and I'll get to that in my next point but nobody is emotionally invested in the guy, nobody looks at him or hears about him and says "Damn that sounds like an amazing story, where did you say this Dynamite airs again?"

2. You hit his music and the whole arena stands up just like they do for almost every single other AEW wrestler. It's the same deal Monty Brown had about 17 years ago during his feud with Jarrett. The Impact Zone and TNA hardcore fans would go mental for Monty so you had people say "Time to strap Monty, he's fucking OVER!"

Except those people neglect the larger audience at hand. Yeah, Page gets a huge pop from the AEW fans but these are the same fans that have previously cheered on Marko Stunt and sing a fat slow Chris Jericho down to the ring.

3. You don't put your championship on a nobody to build your promotion and even if you're trying to build a guy with very little popularity using the belt you don't give them long with it. I bet Hangman is going to hold it for at least another month or two possibly as many as another 3-4.

wrestling with a sense of humor
And this is why nobody cares about wrestling anymore. Because it needs to be funny and silly to appease people such as yourself instead of being serious and cool which attracted 10 million to it every Monday night 25 years ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A couple of points here:

1. Nobody is really invested in the guy. I know you'll respond "But the live audience!" and I'll get to that in my next point but nobody is emotionally invested in the guy, nobody looks at him or hears about him and says "Damn that sounds like an amazing story, where did you say this Dynamite airs again?"

2. You hit his music and the whole arena stands up just like they do for almost every single other AEW wrestler. It's the same deal Monty Brown had about 17 years ago during his feud with Jarrett. The Impact Zone and TNA hardcore fans would go mental for Monty so you had people say "Time to strap Monty, he's fucking OVER!"

Except those people neglect the larger audience at hand. Yeah, Page gets a huge pop from the AEW fans but these are the same fans that have previously cheered on Marko Stunt and sing a fat slow Chris Jericho down to the ring.

3. You don't put your championship on a nobody to build your promotion and even if you're trying to build a guy with very little popularity using the belt you don't give them long with it. I bet Hangman is going to hold it for at least another month or two possibly as many as another 3-4.

And this is why nobody cares about wrestling anymore. Because it needs to be funny and silly to appease people such as yourself instead of being serious and cool which attracted 10 million to it every Monday night 25 years ago.
If mental gymnastics were a sport, you would win a gold medal.

The content of your post is full of shit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well thanks for the debate, Scuba.
Nothing to debate when one downplays months and months and months of pops, constant chants and full on crowd support that Hangman has received. Hell the crowd began to turn on Bryan before he even started to lean a little heel with his words in promos. They have remained heavily invested in him.

It is painfully obvious the AEW crowd loves and supports him.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A couple of points here:

He's over with the people that watch the show? Huh, almost sounds like people are emotionally invested. Nobody is tuning into wrestling because nobody hears about anybody in wrestling and says, "wow that sounds like an amazing story let me tune in." Wrestling is niche, and that's certainly not AEW's fault. Those 10 million aren't coming back for a multitude of reasons, but you already know that.

You build a promotion by building stars that will be around into the future, Page is one of those people they're looking to build around. He might only hold the title until Double or Nothing or possibly All Out depending on how things go, but if he has a good run that legitimizes him as a main eventer like those matches with Bryan did, people will be even more on board when his time comes back around again.

In less than 3 years they took a 28 year old background guy who wasn't ready and people didn't know and weren't invested in when he faced Jericho at the first All Out, to someone fans of the show are solidly behind and now see as a top guy.

"instead of being serious and cool"

I'll give you cool. Austin and the Rock were certainly cool, and wrestling in general was riding a cultural tide that perfectly coincided with what they were putting out. But serious? Come on now.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts