Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Elemental BB
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I enjoy Lucha Libre, I wish we had more masked wrestlers were in the vain of The Destroyer, Masked Superstar, Mr. Wrestling and The Patriot.

Any one else miss those types of masked wrestlers?

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,250 Posts
Love this thread. I'm waiting for Greenlawler to see this.

·
Blaze is Elite
2,874 Posts
My dad talks about this a lot. It would be cool to see stuff like that again, these big guys who wrestle like power houses and such wearing mask. It wasn't much of a thing once I was older and watching wrestling, or at least from the parts I can remember, but I seen old videos and old matches, etc. So I'd love to see it again.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Kendo Nagasaki from the old WoS days always comes to mind. I still remember how it was revealed he was a guy named Pete from Shropshire.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,090 Posts
Of course I do!

Been saying this for years.

It's almost ridiculous....I mean how many wrestling fans are also comic book fans?!?

how many of you first loved wrestling because of some masked man? I mean even Jerry Lawler says masked wrestlers were his inspiration to getting in.

And in this era of superheros how in the world can the WWE not see this?

I mean we had

Mr Wrestling II, Mr Wrestling, Masked Superstar, The Spoiler, The Masked Assassin, Super Destroyer, The Super Intelligent Destroyer were all among the most popular/over talents ever.

Today "experts" will tell you why these masked men do not work anymore...

1. Many masked men were used as jobbers, and curtain jerkers as television shows looked to double up on talent. Some high up wrestling voices think masked men are jobbers. I had a friend in the business who was moving up the ladder in a masked tag team until they got to TNA. There they were forced to drop their masks "because only jobber wear masks".....they lost their mystique and were soon gone.

2. "They say" since folks can find out who a wrestler is in this internet age, the gimmick is pointless. Honestly, I NEVER cared who was behind the mask, I just liked the mask. To me this is the dumbest reason to prevent non Lucha masks in wrestling.

3. The last reason is that masks prevent "facial" expressions. I get do that one. But guys like Masked Superstar, or Tim Woods did not need facials to draw. The mask was a draw.

·
The Elemental BB
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Of course I do!

Been saying this for years.

It's almost ridiculous....I mean how many wrestling fans are also comic book fans?!?

how many of you first loved wrestling because of some masked man? I mean even Jerry Lawler says masked wrestlers were his inspiration to getting in.

And in this era of superheros how in the world can the WWE not see this?

I mean we had

Mr Wrestling II, Mr Wrestling, Masked Superstar, The Spoiler, The Masked Assassin, Super Destroyer, The Super Intelligent Destroyer were all among the most popular/over talents ever.

Today "experts" will tell you why these masked men do not work anymore...

1. Many masked men were used as jobbers, and curtain jerkers as television shows looked to double up on talent. Some high up wrestling voices think masked men are jobbers. I had a friend in the business who was moving up the ladder in a masked tag team until they got to TNA. There they were forced to drop their masks "because only jobber wear masks".....they lost their mystique and were soon gone.

2. "They say" since folks can find out who a wrestler is in this internet age, the gimmick is pointless. Honestly, I NEVER cared who was behind the mask, I just liked the mask. To me this is the dumbest reason to prevent non Lucha masks in wrestling.

3. The last reason is that masks prevent "facial" expressions. I get do that one. But guys like Masked Superstar, or Tim Woods did not need facials to draw. The mask was a draw.
I think one of the reasons is that wrestlers are going to be seen as superheroes any way, with or without the mask ala. Hulk Hogan. But maybe having more colorful masked wrestlers on the roster who are not cruiserweight might help make the roster more interesting.

Is it that major promotions like NWA had a rule against letting masked wrestlers be NWA world heavyweight champions in the past, if so why? I mean guys like Masked Superstar, Mr. Wrestling II and Mil Mascaras were big draws in the American wrestling scene at that time.

·
Registered
918 Posts
As much as I enjoy Lucha Libre, I wish we had more masked wrestlers were in the vain of The Destroyer, Masked Superstar, Mr. Wrestling and The Patriot.

Any one else miss those types of masked wrestlers?
Once something becomes a dime a dozen it's no longer entertaining and people lose interest in it. Lucha Libre pretty much ruined the masked gimmick in North American wrestling.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ive always found The Patriot to be quite an interesting character. I think more could have probably been done with him in the early/mid 90s when unironic patriotic gimmicks still generally worked.
He was kind of lame to be honest. Wrestling fans don't catch on to a patriotic wrestler wearing the American flag as their ring gear. This was also the case foe Lex Luger. But then you look at how over Hogan and Slaughter were as patriots without every wearing the red, white and blue or stars and stripes as their gear. Besides everyone knew it was the Trooper behind the mask.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,880 Posts
Absolutely, especially since you can always have the character "lose" his mask down the road for an additional attraction.

How cool and mysterious would someone like Damian Priest be if you keep everything about his presentation the same but have him wrestle under a mask because he's a high-society party type and needs to protect his identity?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts