Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think good mic skills can help a lot to make a wrestler charismatic but I don't think it's necessary. Nakamura, Rey Mysterio, and Jeff Hardy are all charismatic without having good mic skills.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
52,755 Posts
They are two different things. At best, you could argue that mic-skills is one aspect of charisma, but even then, it's just one aspect of charisma.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
not at all no, theres no use arguing about charisma or mic skills either, we'll all never agree

youll get those bringing up promos from years ago to say how someones a bad promo
you'll get those who dismiss physical charisma and you'll get those who outright refuse to believe smaller guys can be charismatic

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
They are different. The Rock is arguably the most charismatic wrestler in WWE history and has great mic skills whilst RVD has great charisma but sucks on the mic.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You answered your own question. Nakamura is the perfect example.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Definitely not. You could say that Hogan, Goldberg, Batista were worse on the mic than Wyatt or Owens are, but they're infinitely more charismatic.

·
24,508 Posts
Nah, being good on the mic is not a prerequisite for being charismatic. You can be a good talker but not get a crowd invested in what you say just like you can be an average talker and you can get the crowd invested. Good mic skills can be a plus but not something that is indispensable.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
the answer is obviously no. Sasha Banks was a great example of this and unfortunately for her they exposed her weakness TOO much. She had all the charisma in the world but clearly her promo skills aren't great....but they kept pushing her out there to try and cut these promos and they always fell flat. And now all that charisma and confidence...it doesn''t look as good.

there's also a difference between "cutting a promo" and "mic skills". Triple H has instilled this ridiculous concept that every wrestler, to be considered a great talker, must be able to go in the middle of the ring and talk for 5 minutes. That's NOT true. Sometimes short and sweet on the mic goes much further than the Triple H-esque style.

For instance, Shinsuke on smackdown saying "at money in the bank, im going to get that briefcase, and turn your house into my playground". THATS GREAT! Short and simple...effective...funny...that smile at the end, makes him look 'weird' in a cool way. To me, that shows he's good on the mic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No. In my opinion charisma is natural and can't really be taught. Whereas mic skills can be taught and improved upon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
IMO, Hogan rambled on a lot in his promos, but the energy he put into them made up for that, even if I couldn't tell what the heck he was talking about at times.
many of the best mic workers have a tendency to ramble, it wasnt just his look, physical charisma and dropping the big leg that got hogan over
his mic work was vital, both as a face and a heel

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
What is charisma?

To me, it's the ability to seem cool.

In the western world, in normal social settings, we usually think of more outgoing people as cool, and that's why people associate great mic skills with charisma.

The alpha guy in high school is usually outgoing and sociable.

But to me, charisma in wrestling can get around that by looking like a legit wrestler, looking tough, looking confident, looking larger-than-life, and looking like a master of your art.

But crowds always fall back on their cultural expectations for cool people to have great social skills, so poor mic skills can be death of someone (and people start to disregard their non-verbal charisma). That's where booking can bring out charisma or hide a weakness that makes them seem less charismatic.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
You answered your own question OP, a wrestler can have good mic skill and zero charisma, or be a charisma fountain but lack the most basic of mic skills (e.g. Shinsky).

Or, a wrestler can lack both and just plain suck.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Charisma is independent of mic skill. Look at Jeff Hardy, RVD, Nakamura(even though I'm not really a fan of his)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts