Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 360 Posts

·
Devil's Blood
3,376 Posts
It wasn't unexpected, but still...

There's still hope for season 13 though.
If the writing gets its head of its ass we'll be alright. I honestly don't mind her as the Doctor. This year's season feels like all the bad shit from 10 carried over. The writing didn't improve really, which is startling.

I think three "friends" is vacant as well. I appreciate what they're going for with a bigger entourage but three is a crowd, which if you include the Doctor thats four characters. Lot of bloat there. I'd be fine if they cut Graham and Yaz, really.

On the topic of better Doctors the next blu-ray seasons of Baker and Davison are out soon.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
If the writing gets its head of its ass we'll be alright. I honestly don't mind her as the Doctor. This year's season feels like all the bad shit from 10 carried over. The writing didn't improve really, which is startling.

I think three "friends" is vacant as well. I appreciate what they're going for with a bigger entourage but three is a crowd, which if you include the Doctor thats four characters. Lot of bloat there. I'd be fine if they cut Graham and Yaz, really.

On the topic of better Doctors the next blu-ray seasons of Baker and Davison are out soon.

Without making you watch the whole video, this guy went through the resumes of the writers this season and NONE of them have any real experience writing science fiction, if any at all.

In fact most of have have next to no television writing experience.

A lot of them are "political playwrights" which certainly explains the tone of the episodes I've read about. One of them also has worked on what seems like every women's prison show except Orange is the New Black.

I would say this is a solid excuse for Whitaker's reviews being underwhelming, but from what you hear Whitaker is ALL ABOUT stories and episodes like this.

I don't see the tone or types of stories being told changing. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they doubled down on these types of stories and went even more over the top with it. Basically I don't have any hope for season 12, but I'm hope I'm wrong and Doctor Who becomes a show for everyone again.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

Without making you watch the whole video, this guy went through the resumes of the writers this season and NONE of them have any real experience writing science fiction, if any at all.

In fact most of have have next to no television writing experience.

A lot of them are "political playwrights" which certainly explains the tone of the episodes I've read about. One of them also has worked on what seems like every women's prison show except Orange is the New Black.

I would say this is a solid excuse for Whitaker's reviews being underwhelming, but from what you hear Whitaker is ALL ABOUT stories and episodes like this.

I don't see the tone or types of stories being told changing. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they doubled down on these types of stories and went even more over the top with it. Basically I don't have any hope for season 12, but I'm hope I'm wrong and Doctor Who becomes a show for everyone again.
I didn't know all this but I "knew" all this, if you know what I mean. His breakdown of the writing staff is pretty much exactly what I had envisioned just from watching the episodes.

If they go down this same path next season... I just don't know.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I didn't know all this but I "knew" all this, if you know what I mean. His breakdown of the writing staff is pretty much exactly what I had envisioned just from watching the episodes.

If they go down this same path next season... I just don't know.
I thought the title was going to be click baiting hyperbole before I watched it. I figured the writers would have had limited sci-fi credits to their name, but I also figured they would also have backgrounds in sci-fi or fantasy or experience in writing genre pieces.

NOPE.

They really did hire a room full of social commentators and "do gooders" to write one of BBC's flagship shows. Instead of hiring good science fiction writers to put produce the best writing possible, they hired a bunch of struggling playwrights to put on a bunch of morality tales.

The saddest thing is that was one of the biggest complaints about the Capaldi era, the loss of subtly in its messages, and BBC not only doubled down on it, they made it the backbone of the show.

I should be glad because I want Chibnall and Whitaker out, but the incompetence and how out of touch the executives in charge are really is headache inducing, and worse might continue to be a problem even if Chibnall and Whitaker do go.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1056613/Doctor-Who-season-12-spoilers-2020-New-Years-Day-special-Resolution-Jodie-Whittaker-BBC

2019 series has been scrapped.

Looks like Whitaker and Chibnall got the time off they demanded.

:mj2

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1056613/Doctor-Who-season-12-spoilers-2020-New-Years-Day-special-Resolution-Jodie-Whittaker-BBC

I’d like to say I’m disappointed..... but, the last two seasons have been so bad I need a break from the awful writing.

Sci fi overall is suffering right now though. So wierd that the beacon of hope is Seth MacFarlane. Who knew the Orville would be the sci fi fix that no one else wants to be.

Reactions: 2 Ton 21

·
Premium Member
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Really? Because it was so exhausting coming up with this mediocre reheated shit?

I'm a Venture Bros. fan. We're lucky to get a new season every three years, but at least when it arrives it's epic quality.

How hard is it to write 10 lackluster episodes? Like, if they were incredible I'd kind of get it, but it's gong to take all of next year to come up with more run of the mill bullshit like this season?

Is the reason it's a New Year's Day special instead of Christmas so they can claim there was an episode in 2019?

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I’d like to say I’m disappointed..... but, the last two seasons have been so bad I need a break from the awful writing.

Sci fi overall is suffering right now though. So wierd that the beacon of hope is Seth MacFarlane. Who knew the Orville would be the sci fi fix that no one else wants to be.
The people in charge of all the legendary sci-fi right now, Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, seem to think that all sci-fi is is morality plays with spaceships.

Sci-fi is a great way to showcase allusions to social issues, but they have to be just that allusions. I've said it over and over again messages in sci-fi, and really any story telling, have to be done with subtly and nuance. You can't just bash your audience over the head over and over again with "life lessons".

The ultimate irony is liberals are actually hurting their own causes with all of the sensory overload.

You hit the nail on the head. Sci-fi is really suffering.

Rod Sterling would be crying in shame if he saw the state of sci-fi right now.

Really? Because it was so exhausting coming up with this mediocre reheated shit?

I'm a Venture Bros. fan. We're lucky to get a new season every three years, but at least when it arrives it's epic quality.

How hard is it to write 10 lackluster episodes? Like, if they were incredible I'd kind of get it, but it's gong to take all of next year to come up with more run of the mill bullshit like this season?

Is the reason it's a New Year's Day special instead of Christmas so they can claim there was an episode in 2019?
I didn't even think about that, but it's a solid theory.

fpalm

I agree on your second part too.

If they were writing classic episodes I could see the need for extra time. But from what I've read of the episodes this year they could shit out a script in a day.

Just wait the 2020 series will only be five to six episodes to boot :lol

Or worse the'll stretch out series 12 over five years and we'll never be rid of Jodie and Chibnall.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
I didn't even think about that, but it's a solid theory.

fpalm

I agree on your second part too.

If they were writing classic episodes I could see the need for extra time. But from what I've read of the episodes this year they could shit out a script in a day.

Just wait the 2020 series will only be five to six episodes to boot :lol

Or worse the'll stretch out series 12 over five years and we'll never be rid of Jodie and Chibnall.

One bit of hope... the year off is BBC recognising the failures of the season and want to steer it back on course. Star Trek has rumours floating around that CBS stepped in after they couldn’t sell season 2 at good prices. Maybe the worldwide returns for DW this season were so awful BBS is strong arming Chibnal.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I just finished the season finale.

They brought back the tooth monster.

:ha

These people are so low on ideas that the season got shortened to 10 episodes AND they had to reuse the villain from the first episode. Maybe if they weren't so busy working on social commentary and other PC related bullshit, they might have found the time to create some interesting villains.

This was easily the weakest season finale of every series since the show came back. What I find mildly amusing is that The Doctor is so opposed to killing but apparently is okay with torturing someone until they are dead. Because, that's basically what they did to the tooth monster. They locked him in what is for all intents and purposes solitary confinement to suffer until he finally dies. All things considered, killing him outright would have been more merciful. But, that wouldn't have allowed them to do the Graham being the better man/killing is wrong stuff.

I thought the title was going to be click baiting hyperbole before I watched it. I figured the writers would have had limited sci-fi credits to their name, but I also figured they would also have backgrounds in sci-fi or fantasy or experience in writing genre pieces.

NOPE.

They really did hire a room full of social commentators and "do gooders" to write one of BBC's flagship shows. Instead of hiring good science fiction writers to put produce the best writing possible, they hired a bunch of struggling playwrights to put on a bunch of morality tales.

The saddest thing is that was one of the biggest complaints about the Capaldi era, the loss of subtly in its messages, and BBC not only doubled down on it, they made it the backbone of the show.

I should be glad because I want Chibnall and Whitaker out, but the incompetence and how out of touch the executives in charge are really is headache inducing, and worse might continue to be a problem even if Chibnall and Whitaker do go.
I will give this season credit for one thing... they made all the bad Capaldi episodes look fantastic by comparison.

Speaking of merciful... yeah, everyone still watching needs the extended time between series due to how god awful this one was.

The Orville was quite the pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much when it started but it ended up being one of the best new shows on TV.

I can confirm this. Every time a new season of Venture Bros comes out, even though it takes years between seasons, they always blow you away with the quality of the show. Not many shows that have been on as long as Venture Bros can consistently find ways to keep the show fresh, but Doc and Jackson continually amaze me season in, season out. Some episodes are better than others but I cannot point to a single episode of the entire series and say that it sucked. They don't just produce good seasons every time. Every episode they produce is good. I'd be hard pressed to think of another show that I can point to and say, every single episode they've ever done is good.

The people in charge of all the legendary sci-fi right now, Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, seem to think that all sci-fi is is morality plays with spaceships.

Sci-fi is a great way to showcase allusions to social issues, but they have to be just that allusions. I've said it over and over again messages in sci-fi, and really any story telling, have to be done with subtly and nuance. You can't just bash your audience over the head over and over again with "life lessons".

The ultimate irony is liberals are actually hurting their own causes with all of the sensory overload.

You hit the nail on the head. Sci-fi is really suffering.

Rod Sterling would be crying in shame if he saw the state of sci-fi right now.
There's still good sci-fi out there but it's more difficult to find than it used to be. The absolute best sci-fi show on TV got cancelled a year ago because of studio issues and I still haven't gotten over it. But for the 3 seasons and 39 episodes they made, Dark Matter was fucking incredible. They had sci-fi writers that knew how to write sci-fi and they didn't bog the show down with social commentary.

I watched Haven recently and that was decent enough as far as sci-fi goes. Plus, it had Edge/Adam Copeland in it, which was a very nice bonus. Oh and the final boss of the series was none other than William Shatner himself.

If we count zombie shows as sci-fi (it airs on SyFy), I still enjoy the hell out of Z-Nation, which is currently airing it's fifth season.

Altered Carbon on Netflix was an excellent season of sci-fi and it's coming back for another season.

I've been meaning to check out Killjoys. If anyone has seen it, maybe they can tell me if it's any good.

I dunno if you've watched Humans or not but that's a BBC show that I think is rather decent. It's not the best thing ever but it has it's moments.

If I'm ever jonesing for some good sci-fi and there is nothing else to watch, I still go back and rewatch Farscape, even though I've seen the entire series at least 6 or 7 times now. And if that's not enough to get my fix, I'll go through LEXX again. There's only so long I can go without some good sci-fi in my life. If there is nothing new on that will cut it, I have my faves to watch again.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
One bit of hope... the year off is BBC recognising the failures of the season and want to steer it back on course. Star Trek has rumours floating around that CBS stepped in after they couldn’t sell season 2 at good prices. Maybe the worldwide returns for DW this season were so awful BBS is strong arming Chibnal.
Hopefully they strong arm Chibnal and Whitaker out the door.

Time to except Nurse SJW Who was a failure and move on.

Go for the super swerve and regenerate Whitaker in the first episode of series 12.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
I just finished the season finale.

They brought back the tooth monster.

:ha

These people are so low on ideas that the season got shortened to 10 episodes AND they had to reuse the villain from the first episode. Maybe if they weren't so busy working on social commentary and other PC related bullshit, they might have found the time to create some interesting villains.

This was easily the weakest season finale of every series since the show came back. What I find mildly amusing is that The Doctor is so opposed to killing but apparently is okay with torturing someone until they are dead. Because, that's basically what they did to the tooth monster. They locked him in what is for all intents and purposes solitary confinement to suffer until he finally dies. All things considered, killing him outright would have been more merciful. But, that wouldn't have allowed them to do the Graham being the better man/killing is wrong stuff.

I will give this season credit for one thing... they made all the bad Capaldi episodes look fantastic by comparison.

Speaking of merciful... yeah, everyone still watching needs the extended time between series due to how god awful this one was.

The Orville was quite the pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much when it started but it ended up being one of the best new shows on TV.

I can confirm this. Every time a new season of Venture Bros comes out, even though it takes years between seasons, they always blow you away with the quality of the show. Not many shows that have been on as long as Venture Bros can consistently find ways to keep the show fresh, but Doc and Jackson continually amaze me season in, season out. Some episodes are better than others but I cannot point to a single episode of the entire series and say that it sucked. They don't just produce good seasons every time. Every episode they produce is good. I'd be hard pressed to think of another show that I can point to and say, every single episode they've ever done is good.

There's still good sci-fi out there but it's more difficult to find than it used to be. The absolute best sci-fi show on TV got cancelled a year ago because of studio issues and I still haven't gotten over it. But for the 3 seasons and 39 episodes they made, Dark Matter was fucking incredible. They had sci-fi writers that knew how to write sci-fi and they didn't bog the show down with social commentary.

I watched Haven recently and that was decent enough as far as sci-fi goes. Plus, it had Edge/Adam Copeland in it, which was a very nice bonus. Oh and the final boss of the series was none other than William Shatner himself.

If we count zombie shows as sci-fi (it airs on SyFy), I still enjoy the hell out of Z-Nation, which is currently airing it's fifth season.

Altered Carbon on Netflix was an excellent season of sci-fi and it's coming back for another season.

I've been meaning to check out Killjoys. If anyone has seen it, maybe they can tell me if it's any good.

I dunno if you've watched Humans or not but that's a BBC show that I think is rather decent. It's not the best thing ever but it has it's moments.

If I'm ever jonesing for some good sci-fi and there is nothing else to watch, I still go back and rewatch Farscape, even though I've seen the entire series at least 6 or 7 times now. And if that's not enough to get my fix, I'll go through LEXX again. There's only so long I can go without some good sci-fi in my life. If there is nothing new on that will cut it, I have my faves to watch again.
I still miss Eureka... wuirky, fun sci fi with heart. And Stargate. I hope the Orville comes in strong season 2 and people realise sometimes all we want is fascinating worlds and technology and characters we would totally have scotch and sing bad karaoke with. And *gasp* those shows can still have powerful commentary. And people will actually be more receptive because they give a shit about the universe.

And I forgot about Altered Carbon... a little too eager to be biolent, but its commentary did elevate it out of cliched grim dark.

Reactions: Tater and 2 Ton 21

·
Registered
12,862 Posts

I still miss Eureka... wuirky, fun sci fi with heart. And Stargate. I hope the Orville comes in strong season 2 and people realise sometimes all we want is fascinating worlds and technology and characters we would totally have scotch and sing bad karaoke with. And *gasp* those shows can still have powerful commentary. And people will actually be more receptive because they give a shit about the universe.

And I forgot about Altered Carbon... a little too eager to be biolent, but its commentary did elevate it out of cliched grim dark.
For me it's Firefly. ALWAYS Firefly :lol

·
Premium Member
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
It's true. There's is not one bad episode of VB. It's either good, great, or legendary. Not one in 85 episodes that I wouldn't gladly re-watch. This past season was truly epic storytelling. Just weaving a tapestry out of threads sewed all the way back in second episode of season 1. It's amazing what Doc and Jackson have accomplished and it's sad how little credit or recognition they've gotten outside of our small fandom.

If you're in the mood for a comedic sci-fi show, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a good watch. Wish it had gotten a third season.

·
it's a tarp!
5,256 Posts
Dark Matter was perfect sci-fi 10/10

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
So was last night's Show the Season Finale or Mid-Season Finale? If it's the Season Finale that's a bummer, because I want more of this Crew they are fun and entertaining to me. I would say being the first time I've watched this Doctor Who Series I'm sold on the franchise, and their have been positives and negatives with the Show at times sure, but overall it's been a good Season. Tzim-Sha wanting his revenge on Earth for the actions of the Doctor and company..many moons ago made sense, even though I thought the job would get done. I'm shocked Graham was able to hold back and not kill Tzim-Sha when I expect the majority would say they would of killed that fucker especially if they killed off a loved one. He's had plenty of progression the past two Episodes, and I really marked when he pounded it out with Ryan after they had Tzim-Sha were they wanted him.

The Doctor saves the day and Universe and I imagine that New Years Day Episode is just them returning home and everyone going their separate ways?

·
Premium Member
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
So was last night's Show the Season Finale or Mid-Season Finale? If it's the Season Finale that's a bummer, because I want more of this Crew they are fun and entertaining to me. I would say being the first time I've watched this Doctor Who Series I'm sold on the franchise, and their have been positives and negatives with the Show at times sure, but overall it's been a good Season. Tzim-Sha wanting his revenge on Earth for the actions of the Doctor and company..many moons ago made sense, even though I thought the job would get done. I'm shocked Graham was able to hold back and not kill Tzim-Sha when I expect the majority would say they would of killed that fucker especially if they killed off a loved one. He's had plenty of progression the past two Episodes, and I really marked when he pounded it out with Ryan after they had Tzim-Sha were they wanted him.

The Doctor saves the day and Universe and I imagine that New Years Day Episode is just them returning home and everyone going their separate ways?
Season finale with a sigh New Year's Day special.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
5.32 overnight rating, that put it up slightly from last week, but still made it the second worst rating of the series.

Says a lot, the series finale getting such a small bump.

It also seems like quite a gamble taking the show off the air for a whole year. It might let people forget how bad this season was, or it might fester and keep them from coming back.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
It's true. There's is not one bad episode of VB. It's either good, great, or legendary. Not one in 85 episodes that I wouldn't gladly re-watch. This past season was truly epic storytelling. Just weaving a tapestry out of threads sewed all the way back in second episode of season 1. It's amazing what Doc and Jackson have accomplished and it's sad how little credit or recognition they've gotten outside of our small fandom.
As long as they get enough recognition by Adult Swim that they keep renewing the show for more seasons, that is fine by me.

If you're in the mood for a comedic sci-fi show, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a good watch. Wish it had gotten a third season.
This was another excellent sci-fi show cancelled before it's time. Season 2 was weird as fuck and not as good as season 1 but I was still very much looking forward to a 3rd season. Alas...

@DoctorWhosawhatsit

30% :lmao

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I think the funniest thing is, from what I’ve heard, Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t count all the 1/2 or 1 star reviews so the real rating is even lover than that, and if you take away the robot 5 star reviews it’s EVEN LOWER.

Time for BBC to cut their loses and try to salvage the show. Get rid of Jodi, ret-con her into The Valeyard or something like that, reboot the 13th Doctor, and pretend she and Chibnall never happened.

The fans have spoken, do right by them or risk killing the franchise like Star Wars.

141 - 160 of 360 Posts