Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about this lately...and i really do long for the days where wrestling featured those cheesy ass characters like the Ultimate Warrior, IRS, the Birdman Koko B Ware, the Million Dollar Man, the Repo Man (cheap plug for my boy Darsow), Jake the Snake, Earthquake, the Big Boss Man, Nailz, the Honky Tonk Man, ...and all the countless others. Even when wrestling was in its heyday in the Monday Night wars you still at least had some character types. Modern wrestling though is basically regular guys off the street not really playing any true character roles, its just some joe schmo saying "hey, im awesome!" Im probably just living in the past when i lived and breathed wrestling but does anyone else wish wrestling would get more over the top with the wrestlers like it used to be?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I do but those days never coming back. A local indy promotion should invest in characters like that though.

A money mark who want to start a wrestling promotion should look into the cartoon style but not over the top like Repo Man. Jake the Snake was a character but not completely over the top. They should also pitch the promotion to Nick or Disney. And NO, Chikara is not on that level,it just a bunch of skinny indy guys in masks thinking they wrestle lucha libre style.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There's definitely a place for that sort of thing in wrestling, though I reckon it would need to be in a promotion of it's own. It seems to me that when you try to combine that flamboyant, gimmick-orientated style with the more modern looking/sounding wrestlers then each tends to undermine the other. "Real" wrestlers tend to make the "gimmick" wrestlers look faintly ridiculous and the "gimmick" wrestlers can undermine the (staged) sincerity and passion for victory of the "real" wrestlers. It's a thin line to tread and one that, for me, fails most of the time.

It would be cool to see a real throwback promotion featuring all the pomp and pageantry of 70/80s wrestling but personally I prefer the more modern look of wrestling. However that may simply be because I associate it with the fast-paced, high-flying style which I enjoy.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Chikara don't count?

There are plenty of heavy gimmick wrestlers in Japan from Hard Gay to Beast God Liger to Kikutaro to an occasional Sentai Ranger stand in

Does this really need to be in the Indy Wrestling category?

Though come to think of it that's an interesting revelation,
wwe are investing more in non gimmicked wrestlers,
maybe tna and the indies can use this diversity to their advantage, interesting no?

Worked wonders for Austin Ares and Spud

"Geneneric"

transition
"Rockstar"

"Generic"

transition
"A Double"

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'd like some of it back. There were a lot of terrible gimmicks, though. I don't need Mantaur, The Goon, Knuckleball Schwartz and the plummer all over my show. A few more gimmicks would be welcome, though, instead of so many generic dudes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts