Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vaporizing the Opposition
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see it happen all the time, a guy the crowd is behind, is suddenly turned on by those same fans, when they begin to have success. Sure they all have some die hard fans who stick with them no matter what but the fickle fans start to boo them. We have seen a small group of fans do this to Bryan on the last few shows. Is this the beginning of the hate? Bryan's hardcore fans have once again pushed him into the main event of the PPV and there seems to be some growing backlash because of it. So I wonder, will Bryan start getting some of the hate many others have received if he successfully becomes WWE Champ? Personally, I think he will. It is the curse of being champ. Some people will find a reason, any reason to complain. Even Lesnar is getting some hate for not being around and being a non-deserving part-timer.

This is NOT a Bryan hate thread and please don't make it one. I like Bryan and Lesnar so my above statements don't reflect that I am agreeing or disagreeing with anything.

It's a legitimate question, what do you think?

·
★★★★¾
1,644 Posts
"We see it happen all the time, a guy the crowd is behind, is suddenly turned on by those same fans, when they begin to have success."

Or, y'know, they aren't the same fans and aren't Daniel Bryan fans?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Some casuals have already turned on him. The Facebook people have turned on him and they are mostly marks who like the faces and hate the heels. The hate has already begun and I think it will only intensify if he is shoved down everybodys' throats.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think if Bryan has the belt then the fans will truly die off. He's the fans underdog, because they believe WWE is holding him back from the belt. WWE knows this and continuing to run with not pushing him, because it's creating reaction and demand. If WWE gave it to him then the fans wont be interested, because he will have it all and there will be nothing for the fans to demand.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
He's only getting a bit of heat because he's facing another babyface, albeit a super shitty one, but still a babyface. He's never done that, he's only fought heels while he's been popular, and John Cena which doesn't count.

Obviously some fans, the non hardcore fans are gonna side with the other babyface because that's who they're told to like and they're good little soldiers who do what they're told. The crowd is still 95% with him. If he were to face Dolph Ziggler or Dean Ambrose, that could divide the audience, but otherwise, he'll be fine once he's back facing the bad guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think if Bryan has the belt then the fans will truly die off. He's the fans underdog, because they believe WWE is holding him back from the belt. WWE knows this and continuing to run with not pushing him, because it's creating reaction and demand. If WWE gave it to him then the fans wont be interested, because he will have it all and there will be nothing for the fans to demand.
I think that's part of it, but he can still have a good reign as champion by putting on stellar matches every week and people will still like him. They could book Daniel to win the title and Authority will try to find a way to screw him over again and again but against all odds it backfiring every time. Could still work an underdog storyline there. They've done it with :cena

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
Those facebook fans hate whoever is getting pushed atm.

If they book Bryan correctly, the actual casual fans are still gonna cheer for him. + His hardcore fans will never stop cheering for him.

·
Banned
8,766 Posts
This is like...the 4th Daniel Bryan thread that I see in this section. lol.

He's a pretty popular guy, isn't he?

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,744 Posts
It happens with any wrestler who wins all the time, it is a cycle. We have just forgotten that this cycle exists b/c of Cena for the past 10 years.

Bryan understands how this works, and when it starts happening he will ask to flip heel and the WWE will let him flip heel gladly. He will then put in great heel work, like he did after he cashed in MITB, and the fans will eventually start cheering for him again, and then he will cycle back face.

It is how wrestling works for most superstars...

·
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It happens with any wrestler who wins all the time, it is a cycle. We have just forgotten that this cycle exists b/c of Cena for the past 10 years.

Bryan understands how this works, and when it starts happening he will ask to flip heel and the WWE will let him flip heel gladly. He will then put in great heel work, like he did after he cashed in MITB, and the fans will eventually start cheering for him again, and then he will cycle back face.

I hope this is what happens. He played the heel role well and he's playing the face role just as well. I really don't wish the Cena hate on any guy one the roster. In all honesty though for the time being I think Reigns has surpassed him on the hate. It just surprised me to hear Bryan getting boos against Reigns.

·
Registered
12,478 Posts
I think people want him to just have his run with the title . I don't believe people never want him to lose again or something crazy but Bryan wont lose fans just because he's winning matches. He wont be featured or shoved down peoples throats like Cena to be able to get that way, he was picked by the fans , he got over organically. The people who have "turned" on Bryan were never his fans to begin with. I don't understand how winning would cause someone to say "oh looks like I'm no longer his fan!" Makes no sense to me

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts

Bryan was incredible as a heel.

I hope that Cena is just an anomaly and that the WWE does let the other superstars be more fluid in their characters.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
People dont look at Bryan with rose colored glasses he is seen by crowds just like everyone else. Replace Bryan with Cena he will get booed. Replace Bryan with Ambrose he will get booed.

You cant take another mans royal rumble victory and not expect backlash especially because it looks like the authority doesnt want Reigns in the main event and casuals, fans hate the authority

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Bingo! He'll still have his hardcore fanbase, but once Bryan is no longer the underdog, you can expect his universal appeal to diminish quite a bit.

60,006 Posts
I think people want him to just have his run with the title . I don't believe people never want him to lose again or something crazy but Bryan wont lose fans just because he's winning matches. He wont be featured or shoved down peoples throats like Cena to be able to get that way, he was picked by the fans , he got over organically. The people who have "turned" on Bryan were never his fans to begin with. I don't understand how winning would cause someone to say "oh looks like I'm no longer his fan!" Makes no sense to me
It baffles me too.

1,033 Posts
So long as Bryan gets to wrestle in proper matches people will like him. I don't really like his character or the 'yes' chant, but he brings it in the ring every time he's out there which is the thing I value the most. The wrestling.

·
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes no sense to me either but it happens all the time.

·
None but ourselves
3,430 Posts
Makes no sense to me either but it happens all the time.

Well that's because it doesn't happen like that, people don't think "okay he's got to the top, now I'm going to turn on him because I want to be an anti-cool hipster", that's just a poor attempt at explaining it.

Part of it is a person's booking - WWE has just now started this process by having Bryan basically worm his way in to steal Roman's rightfully earned title shot at Mania. This might have

a) made some people into Bryan detractors when before they were neutral
b) really pissed off those who never liked Bryan in the first place
c) possibly caused some fans to turn on him

Another part is when an act gets stale

-WWE does not do subtlety well and they just love to drill things into the ground. Even at the height of Bryan's popularity I think he did the Yes! chant too much and for too long. Keep in mind he started doing it in late 2011.
-WWE top babyfaces tend to wrestle extremely formulaic matches

The biggest part in my opinion is that the bigger and more heavily featured an act is, the more vocal those who dislike it will be. Bryan's story last year was infectuous and ultimately heart warming but some of those 'along for the ride' people are sick of the ride now and Bryan's spot stealing booking will have added to that.

I'm glad not everyone buys the "people just wake up one day and hate the thing they loved yesterday because other people have no conviction and love to go against the grain to be cool/not cool/cool"

Come on. Have you ever done this? Because if nobody has done it themselves then it's likely just bullshit we conclude because we don't really value other people's motives, it's why other people do things because they're idiots while we do things for specific explainable reasons.

There's nothing to base the "they're the exact same people who..." on, this is just a baseless claim that's popular. I see it here most days in one form or another. Maybe it's the same people doing it every single time everywhere I go, almost certainly not though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.