Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video game streaming services are coming out soon. This means, to play a game, you just click the play button (like on YouTube). When streaming something, there is no such thing as updates, no such thing as hardware requirements, and a stream doesn't take up space on your hard drive. The stream playing depends on your Internet connection working.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think game streaming will eventually replace physical discs (and physical media entirely)?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I certainly hope not. Tried playing Red Dead 1 on that Playstation Now thing on PS4 and the input delay and lag made it almost unplayable.

Hopefully in the next gen they keep making discs and we can still choose digital or physical.

·
MEET ME IN RANTS
1,658 Posts
I certainly hope not. Tried playing Red Dead 1 on that Playstation Now thing on PS4 and the input delay and lag made it almost unplayable.

Hopefully in the next gen they keep making discs and we can still choose digital or physical.
And plus opening a new game is more satisfying why sacrifice that lol.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
no, music has been streaming for much longer and physical copies are still released.

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
Not so long as average internet speeds aren't able to stream at the highest resolution and without any input lag.

I think digital copies are slowly becoming the first port of call for a lot of people but there will probably always be a market for the physical media. Plus owning the disk means you're much less likely to not lose your copy in situations like what happened with PT or any other game that gets pulled from the marketplace

·
I WANT ALL THE MEAT!
1,280 Posts
I sure hope the fuck not. I love my physical disc copies. I have bought a few online digital games sure but thats when they were on sale on the xbox marketplace. The only thing I hate is if you have the disc why do you have to still download it to your xbox but then still need the disc to play it lol.

·
The First
42 Posts
I don't think there would ever be enough interest for that to happen.
Maybe years and years down the line... like decades.

I don't doubt companies will try, but not enough consumers will bite.
Google Stadia is going to show that.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Of course. Internet streaming is the future of all things

On a slightly different note, I wish Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony/etc. would all release a Netflix-like streaming service where you can play all of their old games... Like, literally every game they've ever released in history. An old school nostalgia freak like myself would go crazy if I had something like that

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Hopefully not in my lifetime, but I do see it taking over eventually. I think Nintendo will still release physical media for their systems after Sony and MS move completely to digital, but even Nintendo will switch over at some point too.

Hell, even now, while we still have physical media, 90% of the time you still have to download gigs of the game anyway, either because they didn't put it all on the disc or there is a day one patch to make the damn thing actually play.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
nah. look at vinyl records. there's still a market for physical copies. collectability for one

i'm all digital for PC games (obviously)

but still a mix for ps4, mostly boxed

i'd still rather have a physical copy of a game unless it's something that doesn't have a physical copy for ps4 i.e psn download or similar

·
I WANT ALL THE MEAT!
1,280 Posts
so when your internet is down how can you game then if you have to stream the game to play. I dont think it would work out. I still love opening a brand new game and popping it in the system.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Video game streaming services are coming out soon. This means, to play a game, you just click the play button (like on YouTube). When streaming something, there is no such thing as updates, no such thing as hardware requirements, and a stream doesn't take up space on your hard drive. The stream playing depends on your Internet connection working.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think game streaming will eventually replace physical discs (and physical media entirely)?
No because of IPs, bandwidth limitations, and not everyone has good internet.

The question you should be asking is will digiral sales replace physical and the answer is yes. Because companies will save a lot of money not having to make all the plastic discs and cases.

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,659 Posts
Hope not because

1) My internet is nowhere near good enough for it, I tried PSNow and my internet was having a stroke.
2) I like buying discs because I can trade them in after I am done playing. Or hand the game to someone else so he doesn't have to buy a copy

·
Space Cadet
393 Posts
I sure hope not. There's something about buying the game and taking the disc out for the first time that's way more special than just buying something through their online store.

Physical copies are my heart and soul.

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
Of course it will, its not even debatable. You really think these triple ayyyyy companies are going to keep giving profit to physical shops if they can just keep it all in house online?

nah. look at vinyl records. there's still a market for physical copies. collectability for one
Vinyls were replaced by tapes, tapes were replaced by CDs, CDs were replaced by MP3s.

It doesn't matter that you can still by CDs.

The question was specifically will it replace them, not erase them.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I think it will eventually. Hopefully not anytime soon. I enjoy being able to beat a game and resell that game for however much money. I get some money and the gamer gets a game for cheaper than any store.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,416 Posts
People have been saying this is eminent for a decade. I don't believe STREAMING will ever replace physical copies. Streaming is too janky, people's internet connection strength is too inconsistent and gaming companies would be losing too many potential buyers who live in the bumfuck nowhere places of the world where internet isn't so crisp and powerful that streaming a game holds up for the 4 - 6 hours necessary to escape from the constant sensory deprivation of living in a cornfield.

I do think DIGITAL copies will soon replace physical copies but digital copies aren't the same as streaming games. I think digital has already outsold physical in Europe and I think that game companies typically do whatever they want when it comes to either cost cutting or profit gouging and that gamers will put up with it basically no matter what so I could see some big companies just diving right into digital only soon

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so when your internet is down how can you game.
You can't, no more than you could play a YouTube video.

That is one of the negatives of streaming, it requires Internet.

No Internet = No YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, and other streaming services.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts