Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading a few biographies and watching a few interviews WWE durring the mid 90s to attitude era was very off the cusp and title reigns/challenges and winners were sometimes announced the same night they happened.

For example in Chris Jerichos book he himself wasn't told directly he was going to win the undisputed championship, and only heard by hearsay and overheard vince talking to the undertaker about it saying "you know WWE is going to the dogs when where giving the title to Jericho"

Jericho also was surprised when he told he was going to have the title taken off him by HHH and only found out last minute.

I just imagine that nowadays things are a lot more strict and defined for example CM Punk where going to give you the title for half a year + etc, I also imagine CM Punk has a general idea of how, were and when hes going to lose the title.

I just cant imagine that total spontaneity they had back then been so prominent nowadays, it assume it probably does but not so much on the world title level.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
No today is even worse. Vince Mcmahon keeps changing his mind.

They literally ruined Del rio at Night of champions because of this.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a lot more subjects are now brought up with the board of directors now that there is a lot more money involved.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The WWE production is too over produced to where it has too much of a sense of being scripted. Although wrestling is staged there needs to be some semblance of spontaneity. I'd rather watch old wrestling videos than today's wrestling that just feels that the wrestlers are going through the motions.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Everything from getting over (several stars seemed to have gotten heat from Vince for getting over when they weren't supposed to) to promos are planned in detail. The business (imo) suffers for it. How are you going to know anything if your only experience is being told what to do, say, act, etc. Marc Mero is a good example. According to Jim Cornette, he was trained to ONLY be Johnny B. Badd. Everything from style, personality, etc was to be a character, not a wrestler (though I thought he was great anyway). When he came to WWF, for a while he seemed unconfortable getting out of the Badd character & coming into his own.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Promos and that stuff is definitely more scripted than it used to be. Watching Piper's doc and some of the older generation like that and their ad libbing... man, that is sorely missed. That was when good promos were far more prevalent too... and a nice little benefit... some of the most hilariously bad promos too!

However, I think the long term issues now are far less scripted. That isn't good. Angles are dropped or changed on the fly, titles are thrown around wildly... seriously, they got it completely ass backwards. This part of the business needs to be tightly controlled and the promos and such needs to be left more to the individual wrestler. That is when talent thrives, the business tends to spark great angles, and overall the product is just better. Right now... it's just mostly badly scripted promos with loose booking that changed minute to minute... that makes for a shitty product. WCW should have taught McMahon that.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Nothing feels unpredictable like it used to. Some stuff is so scripted nowadays that it's painfully obvious when something happens when it isnt supposed to. It's a totally different company than it was say, ten years ago.

Then, of course, there's the promos. How's anyone supposed to warm to their character and improve their skills when they're just repeating lines somebody else wrote?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
From interviews I've seen there is always the feel of randomness in the WWE. Like reports have said, some things are done at last minute. I remember one time quite a few years ago when Lita was women's champion, she walked into RAW I believe and the first thing they told her was "You're dropping the title to Ivory" (Not the EXACT situation, but close enough).

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's weird because I keep hearing how everything is last minute now, and that this past Raw was rewritten up until the last minute, but this current era lacks a lot of energy that was present during the Attitude Era.

I think that the biggest problem is not so much rigidity, but bloat. This is a big company with concerns that have strayed too far from the actual product. Just look at the three hour episode of Raw. How was that a three hour program? Bloat. So you have very restricted talent (in terms of showing personality, in ring or out) endless recap segments, and a very stagnant mid card that never moves up or down because the bloat has pushed them to the margins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts