Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It wasn't good and it was crappy thing on Vince's part but i think it was necessary evil for Vince to do so. It was a genius by dick move from a human standpoint. Vince drove wrestling beyond just a simple feud and because of the Montreal Screwjob, he made a lot of people genuinely hate him not just his character but as a person himself. That's legit heat, managed to draw wrestling an attention, and put the WWF in such a good position to penetrate the viewers on a personal level and managed to cripple WCW in the ratings and buyrates.

Could this mastermind have done this to Bret on purpose, knowing he will explode (based on his personality) and create this ultimate force of evil that is Vince. Most people also say that along with Austin 3:16 speech at King of the Ring 1996, the Montreal Screwjob hits the Attitude Era out of the ball park.

Do you agree?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I dont think anyone ever suggested that the screwjob was evil, just a seriously crappy thing to do.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Yes. Hence the term "Screwjob"

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
2 slightly egomanic superstars, with too much leeway, and two huge egomanics running two companies, which were bitter rivals. Bad booking and terrible foresight led to the screwjob. The evil mr McMahon was a lucky byproduct.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm very much on Vince's side in this. Bret should have done the right thing and dropped the title. He and Shawn could have had a classic match and that would have been a great way for him to bow out, winning and losing shouldn't have mattered.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Someone finally had to shut that bitch Bret up.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
It was a genius by dick move from a human standpoint. Vince drove wrestling beyond just a simple feud and because of the Montreal Screwjob, he made a lot of people genuinely hate him not just his character but as a person himself. That's legit heat, managed to draw wrestling an attention,
he threw himself under the bus.

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,554 Posts
From a humanistic standpoint it absolutely was. From a business stand point you do what you had to do. If Bret was a good businessman, he wouldn't of even shown up that night - contractually he didn't have to. It's a great example of what happens when you try to be a good person in business dealings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm very much on Vince's side in this. Bret should have done the right thing and dropped the title. He and Shawn could have had a classic match and that would have been a great way for him to bow out, winning and losing shouldn't have mattered.
Ya i agree, Bret didn't get screwed out of reality, he got screwed out of his "Hitman" Character of the WWF title at SS 1997 to HBK. While HBK was much of a prick, it's worser if you have a WWF champion winning his last WWF match then go to WCW right away. Even worse, his latest biography lately portrays himself as Jesus Christ. Disgusting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I dont think it was evil. Bret Hart refused to drop the belt to HBK, which he should have because he was leaving. I I heard that Bret Hart was going the drop the belt night after Survivor Series, but no, I think Bret Hart needed to lose to HBK at Survivor Series.
And didn't Bret Hart also punch Mcmahon for that?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
2 slightly egomanic superstars, with too much leeway, and two huge egomanics running two companies, which were bitter rivals. Bad booking and terrible foresight led to the screwjob. The evil mr McMahon was a lucky byproduct.
Nailed it. Spot on. End the thread. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.