Banned
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your toughts?

Reactions: SporadicAttack

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Yes. The fact I can watch the show in better visual quality has killed my enjoyment of the product.

·
Registered
304 Posts
WTF are you talking about?? I hate watching old matches from WCW nowadays where i only know whos wrestling because of the names in the title.

·
Santina's Lover
4,216 Posts
The only external factor that ruined the product was the internet. Kayfabe died, Smackdown spoilers (yes the internet was around when SD debuted but it's more common now), leaks promoted crazy last minute changes, downloads killed ratings, etc.

The rest of the problems are all internal issues.

·
Premium Member
44,386 Posts
Yeah you know I was sitting there watching the show the other night and I totally thought to myself "Man, I would be enjoying this so much more if the picture quality wasn't as good".

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'll take different route here and not shit all over OP.

I can see where you're coming from. I don't know if it's HD's fault entirely, though. But it does have a clean and polished look and feel to it nowadays that doesn't fit the wrestling climate. I wrote something not long ago about you almost not wanting the wrestlers to bleed on the glimmering white ring ropes or the pristine ring posts. Everything is so perfectly set up and standardized compared to the days of messy hardcore matches and stuff.

I watched a couple episodes of TNA, and I have to say, blading is uncomfortable to watch in HD. Can you imagine HIAC with Triple H and Cactus Jack in HD, with the flaming barbed wire 2x4 and stuff?

Or Kane's debut in HD? Maybe he would've looked like a big guy in a ridiculous costume. The grittiness of the video quality in the day matched the grittiness of the product (in Kane's case, left more to the imagination, even if in a subtle manner), just like the perfect/polished HD reflects the perfect/polished, FCW-manufactured, cookie-cutter environment of today.

Just food for thought and playing devil's advocate.

HD hasn't "ruined" wrestling, but it certainly didn't accompany a change for the better.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I see what the OP means. The product looks too polished today. Raw used to look and feel Raw

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
It's hard to explain, but the grittiness of Raw and Smackdown, back when they had their respective titantrons had a better feel.

But I think it's just the first thing we notice, and we reminisce about the old days, when wrestlers were good, storylines were broad and interesting, not everything was insanely predictable, and heels were heels.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Maybe that it feels too polished, but there are 100 other things wrong with Raw and the stage nor the picture qaulity is one of them.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The only external factor that ruined the product was the internet. Kayfabe died, Smackdown spoilers (yes the internet was around when SD debuted but it's more common now), leaks promoted crazy last minute changes, downloads killed ratings, etc.

The rest of the problems are all internal issues.
this! and the over exposure of wrestling in general. theres too much of it. you can pick and choose when you want to watch. if you made raw 3 hours and took away smackdown, raw ratings would go way up.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it does look a little too clean, too polished and so on. At the same time I like it that way. The product can still be as intense, gritty and brutal as it ever has been regardless of the production valuues or the ratings. Two of the most full on and intense matches I have ever seen are the HiaC at WM 28 and the Cena v. Lesnar match.

If anything HD made those matches better. Part of what made Taker/HHH so brutal was watching as the mmassive bruises formed on Taker's back and the gash above HHH's eye. Same goes for the Cena/Lesnar match, the blood was easier to see with the big scrape on Cena's head and the blood dripping down his face and onto the mat. There wasn't a lot of blood but you could see it easily so it was just as effective as an old match with lots blood.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I hate the gritty, hardcore feel that you guys seem to like. It feels amateur and not as grand.

WM28 had an amazing feel to it. Like it was the biggest thing in the world. You wouldn't have that feel in a gritty, bloody, hardcore setting.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If by HD he means John Cena then yes it has

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, watching HHH and Taker beat the crap out of each other at WM in perfect picture and sound is just awful.

The reason you like the old RAWs and Smackdowns more isn't because the picture isn't as polished. It's because the WWE was a shit load better back then.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts