Wrestling Forum banner

Do you think it's important The Miz wins at Wrestlemania XXVII? (Spoilers from RAW)

2911 31
Been lurking around WF for a while now and just decided to sign up so hello everyone.

So for my first post I'm asking you if you think The Miz should win at WM?

Firstly I'm think it's obvious Lawler isn't walking out of EC the champ so I suppose Miz vs Cena is pretty much a lock-in at Mania, maybe with Orton/Punk thrown in who knows.

Now I'm know many of you can't stand the guy and many of you are very fond of him but do you think it's a good idea for Miz to win in the biggest main event of 2011?

We saw Swagger win the WHC just last year and witnessed him ending up being banished to superstars for the majority of his post-reign.

Then there's Sheamus who (I'm sure some of you may disagree with me) had sort of a half-assed reign as champ before WM26. I don't think he really gets the reaction WWE expected him to get these days. All he's done recently is win KOTR which didn't really get him anywhere, another WWE title reign which was dwarfed by the WWE vs The Nexus storyline and put over John Morrison all while waiting to end his feud with HHH.

Now granted, I'm very sure Sheamus and Jack Swagger will be big stars in the future but you'd think WWE learned from their mistakes in their badly booked first title reigns. I hear from alot of people saying that they were 'experiments' but that was my reaction as a fan. If The Miz's reign is the same he may end up with the same fate.

So, do you think The Miz for the sake of WWE creating young stars should beat someone like the WWE's top dog at the biggest show of the year? Then proceed to lose the title soon after WM? Maybe even discretely on RAW so not to take away from his credibility? I don't mean this in an extreme way that the loss would ruin his career or anything like that, but just so when that next young guy who happens to win the WHC/WWE title don't have us think "He'll lose it in a couple of months", "he'll be buried", "go to back to FCW" etc

Thoughts?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Re: Do you think it's important The Miz wins at Wrestlemania XXVII? (Spoilers from RA

I agree in that I think Miz should win..but in the end. Its highly doubtful he will, I have a scary feeling that the WWE is about to go on another Cena power trip. Which would suck, the wwe is telling us that you cannot be a smaller guy and be succesful.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Re: Do you think it's important The Miz wins at Wrestlemania XXVII? (Spoilers from RA

I don't think so, and I don't think so for very sad reasons.

WWE has conditioned its fans to have horrible long term memories. If someone isn't pushed perpetually or isn't over from a prior period in wrestling, their heat dies away. That's why I don't think it's worth anyone breaking Taker's streak - any buzz a guy will get off of it won't last. As it is, Miz has survived all his title defenses using heavy cheating. He does not come across as the best or even the second best wrestler on the show. The color commentator might be able to kick his ass. Beating whoever he faces at Mania will not legitimize him. Only long term booking that makes him into a serious threat will.

So, would it be good for his character? Potentially, if the match is a character-building one. But it would only be a step in a direction. They have to build long term context to legitimize anyone, something they have a lot of trouble with (see poor Jack Swagger).

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,950 Posts

'Mania ends with Cena winning.

Del Rio wins the World title in a match before the main event.

Miz doesn't need to win, that would be asking way too much. His time will come.

·
Banned
19,104 Posts

No. Its going to be HHH / Y2J all over again. The match will be subpar and nobody will care about it afterwards. :no:

- Vic

·
Registered
10,981 Posts

No. Its going to be HHH / Y2J all over again. The match will be subpar and nobody will care about it afterwards. :no:

- Vic
Y2J/HHH wasn't as bad as the majority of you guys make it out to be.

From a wrestling standpoint it was better than Hogan/Rock. Unfortunately, from the entertainment/storytelling aspect I could see why some of you guys loathe it.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts

If he doesn't, then this whole run is absolutely pointless. Why send a new superstar with little credibility to the main event of Wrestlemania, only to have him lose? It's counter productive, and quite frankly, very stupid.

John Cena is leagues beyond the other superstars in credibility right now. There is a very good reason for that. It's because he dominated and defeated the likes of Angle, Jericho, Edge. He tapped out Shawn Michaels and Triple H. He held the WWE Championship for a 13 month reign. He's won in the main event of Wrestlemania five times.

At this point, it's a mentally deficient move to have him win again. It will do nothing for him. He's beaten superstars that Miz will never, ever come close to matching. He just beat Batista last year, three times in a row on PPV.

The Miz has everything to gain, and everything to lose. John Cena has nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

They could have The Miz defeat John Cena clean at Wrestlemania and it wouldn't hurt Cena one bit. He's far too established and cemented. The right thing to do, if you're going ahead with this anyway, is to have Miz be victorious.

Two things will happen. Either The Miz will get elevated due to that victory and the subseqeuent booking, resulting in WWE having another top superstar by 2012. Or The Miz will fall and the fans, being as they are, will forget the match ever happened anyways.

If he loses, it'll do nothing for him and add another notch to Cena's belt which he doesn't need. It's likely he'll just drop lower on the totem pole when he's not that high in the first place.

Getting behind a superstar who is not established and then not following through damages them. It's a bad move. That initial impression is very important. Why do people think they pushed Batista/Cena so hard through 2005/2006? You must follow through to make these stars stand at the top.

If that means Orton and Cena have to stand back a little, then so be it. It's not like they're ever getting any bigger. The others are the ones who need catching up.

A huge reason WWE is in the state it's in right now is because they had their mouth on John Cena's balls for too long and ended up sacrificing too many stars to him, which resulted in the show having to rely on him far too much.

Just go back to 2000 and 2001. Did you see The Rock dominating everyone and anyone? No. The man couldn't even beat Kane legitimately and was going to be defeated by him on Raw. He laid down for Angle, Jericho and put over lots of other stars in matches. It did nothing to damage him but it ultimately helped those other superstars.

WWE was far too protective of Cena and it resulted in them not focusing or giving the right amount of attention to other big-time players or upcooming stars. It was a silly move and it's what has them struggling to build up stars now.

Now that they're determined to send Miz into the main event, the right thing is to simply have him win. You might as well go through with the push full-force. Losing after such a lacklustre reign is ultimately going to kill Miz even further, especially if WWE does what they tend to with pretty much everyone else, move focus to someone else and leave him in the upper mid-card.

And this is from someone who doesn't want Miz anywhere near the main event of Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts

What will be, will be. I just hope miz becomes better from it.

·
Banned
19,104 Posts

If some members of the board had it their way, Miz and ADR would both be walking out of Wrestlemania as world champions. Both heels. Ain't happening. With the exception of WM 21, one world title changes hands, one retains. And Alberto Del Rio has more to gain than Miz right now.

The Miz has everything to gain, and everything to lose. John Cena has nothing to gain and nothing to lose.
I made the same argument two years about Randy Orton defeating Triple H and looked what happened there.

- Vic

·
Better than you
894 Posts

In wrestling, there's always that one opportunity to make someone a big star. The funny thing about that opportunity is that it'll be there for a moment, and if left ignored, it might not return for years. A victory for Miz is that kind of opportunity.

As of right now, Miz really isn't a credible champion. On top of that, every time you point to one of his PPV wins, it's never clean. So if Miz goes over Cena clean at Mania, Miz can finally legitimize himself by saying that he beat Cena at Mania without any help. And you know what? Cena's credibility wouldn't budge, but Miz's would skyrocket. Miz could finally be an established main event heel rather than a transitional champion.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts

yes It is important

and a 10 year old in BTB could explain the simple logic behind

"we need new stars" "Young top heel needs atleast one clean win" "have the biggest face in the company lay down to him with no hi jinks"

Even if i DIDNT like the miz i would be saying this

·
Registered
10,269 Posts

If they have invested this much into the Miz, having him walk into WM27 with the WWE title, going up against the biggest star of the company, I don't know why they just wouldn't fully pull the trigger on Miz and have him go over Cena clean at Wrestlemania.

Usually what happens though is one heel walks out with the WWE/WHC title at Mania, then the face usually walks out with the other one, in which case ADR wouldn't win, but I don't have any doubts that he won't, so I guess that means that Miz is losing, WWE wouldn't have two heels walk out champion, unless they have the balls to do it, which I don't think they do.

·
Registered
20,042 Posts

No, he doesn't have to. Plenty of people have gotten over at Wrestlemania without winning.

I'm dreading the eventual Cena victory. This will slowly begin the Miz's fade into obscurity. (see: Sheamus)

Cena put over Sheamus huge. Got his ass kicked by him and even lost clean for the title to him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.