Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think fans are hard on HHH because he pales in comparison to Austin and Rock, two of the biggest draws of all time. If judging by his own merits and not against superior stars, I think HHH is good to great in all aspects. Great look, good in ring skills, great on the mic, really charismatic. I think if HHH was part of another era (e.g. PG or Reality era) fans would appreciate him a lot more.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
No.

He's always been pretty good at his best qualities on his best day. By far his best quality is his behind the scenes booking and cultivating of NXT, a largely off screen role.

To me if you put him with Hogan and those guys, he's merely overshadowed because the character wasn't 80's enough to stand out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No.

He's always been pretty good at his best qualities on his best day. By far his best quality is his behind the scenes booking and cultivating of NXT, a largely off screen role.

To me if you put him with Hogan and those guys, he's merely overshadowed because the character wasn't 80's enough to stand out.
You think AE HHH is inferior to today's roster? On mic skills alone, he is better than Reigns, Rollins, Lashley, McIntyre, etc by miles.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Considering that he’s one of the best heels of all time, and I think that you need a good heel for faces like Austin and Rock to counter and struggle against, I disagree.

Maybe HHH's Reign of Terror really was that awful, since it created the perception that he was just using his backstage powers due to his relationship to Stephanie to hold stars down. The only thing worse was Cena's Reign of Terror, since at least with HHH's Reign of Terror it was still possible for WWE to look for and mold a couple of stars to be the FOTC and carry it, a la Austin and Rock, once it was done. While Cena's Reign of Terror has made so that no one can ever be a star like Austin or Rock, making WWE itself the draw and its stars at every level replaceable.

Even his Reign of Terror is more respectable upon hindsight. HHH is an all time great. His genius is being used for NXT now.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
You think AE HHH is inferior to today's roster? On mic skills alone, he is better than Reigns, Rollins, Lashley, McIntyre, etc by miles.

This is a subjective thing, but to me HHH has always been a guy who can "fake" talking with charisma on a very high level. Like Seth Rollins, he's good "enough" at giving a promo, but it always feels a bit labored. A bit like a guy who's not naturally extremely charismatic doing everything he can to be interesting.

Guys like Samoa Joe, Jon Moxley, Jericho. There's guys who will captivate my attention no matter what they say because they're just interesting to listen to. I don't have to put in work to give them a chance to have my attention. With Hunter it's like "Ok... Ok boring me a bit. Get to a good point... Come onnnnnnn."

·
Banned
839 Posts
HHH doesn't deserve any respect whatsoever. Like Bret Hart said, I wouldn't even put any HHH match in the 1000 greatest matches of all time. Screw this big-nosed brownnosing douchebag son-in-law.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,576 Posts
During the Golden Era/New Gen era no doubt he'd be a respectable Heel that fans would find praiseworthy especially in opposition to Fan Favorites like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage etc.

If he came before his peak during the AE and he was the same guy with the same strong push at the Top without the bullshit politics involved I think he would have been more appreciated, Also dirtsheets were not existent back in those days either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sometimes I think fans are hard on HHH because he pales in comparison to Austin and Rock, two of the biggest draws of all time. If judging by his own merits and not against superior stars, I think HHH is good to great in all aspects. Great look, good in ring skills, great on the mic, really charismatic. I think if HHH was part of another era (e.g. PG or Reality era) fans would appreciate him a lot more.
People just shit on him mostly because of his dislike. He might of played second fiddle a lot of The time but he’s been great over the years. Got to have a second to make the first look good

·
Registered
435 Posts
Triple H is one of the greatest heels in history its just that he was around for so long the act got a bit stale, oh and the whole Stephanie thing.

His entire year 2000 from wars with Foley, back and forth with Rock, excellent tv matches with Jericho, Tazz, Taka Michinoku, love triangle with Angle, masterminding the hit and run on Austin was excellent.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Of course. To make a name for yourself when you're competing against the Undertaker, Stone Cold, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels in their prime you have to be unbelievably good. If today's top acts came through in the 90s they would be mid-card at best.

If a young HHH came through today he'd be the hottest act by a million miles. Top 3 in ring (and I don't mean doing flips, I mean psychology), top 3 in terms of look, top 1 in terms of charisma and mic skills. He's a total package in a way that no modern wrestler is.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Considering that he’s one of the best heels of all time, and I think that you need a good heel for faces like Austin and Rock to counter and struggle against, I disagree.

Maybe HHH's Reign of Terror really was that awful, since it created the perception that he was just using his backstage powers due to his relationship to Stephanie to hold stars down. The only thing worse was Cena's Reign of Terror, since at least with HHH's Reign of Terror it was still possible for WWE to look for and mold a couple of stars to be the FOTC and carry it, a la Austin and Rock, once it was done. While Cena's Reign of Terror has made so that no one can ever be a star like Austin or Rock, making WWE itself the draw and its stars at every level replaceable.

Even his Reign of Terror is more respectable upon hindsight. HHH is an all time great. His genius is being used for NXT now.
Nothing is worse than Lesnars reign of terror. At least Cena and HHH put on mostly competitive matches and were actually there full time.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
HHH doesn't need more respect, he is considered a B to Austin/Rock as A's, he is second their
in the all time great list, he is like Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan.

Think about it, the only people who talk bad about him, are putting up their standards, they trash him
because he wasn't the best ever. That says a lot.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts