Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
He is in top 5 most well rounded professional wrestlers ever. He also drew a shit ton of money for Vince just in merchandise and managed to get good mainstream coverage that even increased more after signing UFC.

Some lack of kayfabe accomplishments and WM main events are not going to change that.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Batista's okay with being called Dave. Rock is clearly okay with being called Dwayne. Triple H is perfectly fine with being referred to as Hunter or Paul. CM Punk doesn't like being called Phil Brooks because there is no such thing as Phil Brooks.
Thats not true. Wrestlers in general don't like being called their first names by fans who don't know them personally.

You think a fan's going to get a great response from Kane if they walked up to him and said, "Hey, can I get an autograph Glenn?" Maybe, but not a guarantee. Or how about Taker? "Aww shit Mark my dude, you the realest"

If I tried to call HHH Paul in person, his likely response is, "Excuse me, who are you?" as opposed to, "Sure we can take a picture". The reason being if you call him Paul, it implies you know him personally. If you call him Hunter or HHH, you're specifically acknowledging the character he plays on television.

CM Punk was just VERY open about how much he hates being called Phil by people who don't know him on a personal level. Most wrestlers are like this, they just don't speak up about it because they don't tend to acknowledge the fans that can be idiots like that.

Some WWE fans have this tendency to have zero etiquette when speaking of, about, or to wrestlers. While most wrestlers will say, "those fans are just ridiculous, ignore them", CM Punk says, "Fuck them". And I don't blame him one bit.

Fans try so hard to get every little bit of information about a wrestler's life outside the ring that it has to be uncomfortable for them. Its not a case of, "oh they should've known what they were getting into". Its a case of "this is wrong and people need to learn how to do things right".

The names used are part of that dynamic between fan and wrestler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What if punk's quiting was just a great big storyline for the last 5 years to build up for a mega surprise return in this year's wm?

141 - 146 of 146 Posts