Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
20,618 Posts
But it's hard to tell where Punk would be. I'll say he's easily a top 50 WWE star of all time, which doesn't sound sexy. But being top 50 out of decades worth of talent is a big damn deal.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
As much as I love Punk (as a character and performer, not so much as a person), I don't think so. At the point he left it seemed as though his body was just starting to break down a bit. Add to that the fact that WWE had so few credible main event talents to put him up against, and I doubt he could have cracked the top ten.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,207 Posts
Re: Do you think Cm Punk could've been a top 10 GOAT in WWE if he didn't quit?

He is definitely on the top 5 GOAT. Must be an idiot if you think otherwise
This is absolutely ridiculous.
I pray that you are trolling and not that stupid.
Speaking of an organization that has featured Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, Bruno Sammartino, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, Killer Kowalski, Kane, Roddy Piper, Triple-H, Buddy Rogers, John Cena, Bob Backlund, Ted Dibiase, Kurt Angle and Andre the Giant you think someone must be an idiot who doesn't put CM Punk in their top five of all time!?!

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
Easily. :punk2

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
He wouldn't be in the top 50 of all time.. CM Punk was nothing special, now he's a laughing stock in the wrestling business. Everyone is laughing at how much of a pussy he's become since he left.

i'm glad he got the fuck out. It was suppose to happen in 2011... But people are still obsessed with this guy talking about him all the time like he's doing anything interesting. He hasn't done shit since he left.

Punk is the only guy in the business i have zero respect for. I hope i never see his disgusting face ever again.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Maybe, Punk was pretty sloppy in the ring. Not unsafe obviously, but he wasn't very crisp. He had good matches, and was excellent on the microphone. I guess it depends on the feuds that he would have had. If he continued having the Axel, Ryback etc feuds then I don't think so.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Re: Do you think Cm Punk could've been a top 10 GOAT in WWE if he didn't quit?

Who else is on your top 5 of all time list? :mj
1. Randy Savage
2. Ric Flair
3. Shawn Michaels
4. Bret Hart
5. CM PUNK

don't like my list don't bother to ask stupid questions or read my posts. SO SIMPLE.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hes a whiney little bitch

I see you talk about his match with hhh, but wasn't he supposed to face hhh at mania the year he left an go over him? Punk would have got his mania main event an more accolades if he stayed but no he spat his dummy out, no point in saying if he'd have stayed cos he'd have cried and left for another reason its just who he is

Edit: An this is from someone who liked him once an thinks he's great on the mic, the man ruined the character for me

·
Registered
323 Posts
So do you consider his win against Cena to be a big win then? I feel like it should count as such.

Okay then who was?

Honestly, who else after the Attitude Era ended came into the WWE who had the in ring abilities, promo skills, and incredible understanding of character that Punk had? I know it's all subjective, but it's really hard to argue for anyone else to be better all around than Punk.

Punk was part of an elite class of pro wrestlers, guys who were at the top of the ranks in the ring and on the mic, and had all the qualities needed to be a main eventer. There weren't that many guys in WWE who had this, even during the Attitude Era. Austin, Jericho, Edge, Christian, these are guys off the top of my head who were in WWE during the Attitude Era and fit that description. Post? Only one I could really say was on or near Punk's level was Randy Orton, and to be honest it was close between them. But even then, he wasn't very consistent.

I'm not going to talk much about his mic work, but I'll say this about his in ring work. There's a lot of talk on this site about storytelling, about the idea of making a match seem and feel real. Not making things seemed forced and not making spots seem so obvious. For a guy who was considered a smaller performer (even though he wasn't, I don't know why people say this), he was probably the best WWE ever had at this. I'm not kidding, I can't really think of any wrestlers on the smaller scale who were as good at storytelling at he was. I guess you could say Ric Flair was in that category and in that regard I would rate Flair above him, but Flair rarely did moves performed by high flyers, where as Punk did it quite often, which in my opinion is even more impressive. His sequences were so carefully detailed and it made his matches technical masterpieces. He was capable of making the little things stand out more in terms of importance.

The one match that I've always wanted to see that we never will see is a face Kurt Angle vs a heel CM Punk. I have criticized Kurt Angle for not focusing much on the story aspect of pro wrestling, but there were times where when he was paired with a great in ring performer, his matches were a thing of beauty (his match with Austin at Summerslam is the first thing that comes to mind). A heel CM Punk would have made for an incredible opponent for Angle, and we all know Punk would not settle for anything forced. He would have made Angle work his style. But more than anything, their in ring styles would have been perfect to have go against one another. There's so many ways you could go with a match like this. But with Punk being retired and Angle retiring soon, it's going to remain what it is now: a dream match that could have been a classic.
İ was going to say Randy orton:grin2: Anyway, Cm punk was good in fact he was great. Excellent Mic skills and good ring skills with a great story telling.But calling him the best is not doing any favour to guys that are more(or same) talented than him. Orton,Cena,Edge,Punk all of these guys have a claim in being the best wrestler after AE. One was better than other in the ring and one was better at mic, everybody had different strong points and different weak points. Thats why i would put Punk in a category where he belongs, ONE of the best. İF we only talk about ring skills, he is second to orton.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
No.

He was one of the top guys in one of the worst eras in WWE history. Sticking around for another few years wasn't going to change his importance suddenly. You could say he's top 50 if you're being generous.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,063 Posts
İ was going to say Randy orton:grin2: Anyway, Cm punk was good in fact he was great. Excellent Mic skills and good ring skills with a great story telling.But calling him the best is not doing any favour to guys that are more(or same) talented than him. Orton,Cena,Edge,Punk all of these guys have a claim in being the best wrestler after AE. One was better than other in the ring and one was better at mic, everybody had different strong points and different weak points. Thats why i would put Punk in a category where he belongs, ONE of the best. İF we only talk about ring skills, he is second to orton.
But here's the main problem with Orton, he wasn't consistent. Sometimes he showed signs of brilliance in the ring. Other times however he didn't. His greatness mostly showed when he was a heel, but as a face he struggled against certain wrestlers. I know that can be detrimental when you consider the fact that others want to work a different style, but a truly great performer finds a way to work around that and use it to their advantage. Orton never really did this, at least not as a face. Hell, Christian was the only person Orton was able to consistently put on incredible matches with while playing the face role, and even then you could argue that it was due to Christian's leadership and style, and I honestly think that's what happened.

Even as a heel, there were certain people Orton struggled with, most notably Daniel Bryan, and for this I just can't put him above Punk.

And I wouldn't put Cena or Edge above Punk in either in ring or mic skills honestly. Charisma I'd say Cena wins at of course but overall I just think Punk adds a lot more good things than Cena. And Edge was around in the Attitude Era, so I personally can't count him.

·
Registered
323 Posts
But here's the main problem with Orton, he wasn't consistent. Sometimes he showed signs of brilliance in the ring. Other times however he didn't. His greatness mostly showed when he was a heel, but as a face he struggled against certain wrestlers. I know that can be detrimental when you consider the fact that others want to work a different style, but a truly great performer finds a way to work around that and use it to their advantage. Orton never really did this, at least not as a face. Hell, Christian was the only person Orton was able to consistently put on incredible matches with while playing the face role, and even then you could argue that it was due to Christian's leadership and style, and I honestly think that's what happened.

Even as a heel, there were certain people Orton struggled with, most notably Daniel Bryan, and for this I just can't put him above Punk.

And I wouldn't put Cena or Edge above Punk in either in ring or mic skills honestly. Charisma I'd say Cena wins at of course but overall I just think Punk adds a lot more good things than Cena. And Edge was around in the Attitude Era, so I personally can't count him.
To be honest his consistency problems occured in 2012 to mid 2013. He was in great matches from 2004 to 2009. 2010 was his first legit(not counting post evolution) face run. He upped his game and got quality matches with most of the oponents. Other than Christian hes matches with Sheamus(before it was overdone),Mark henry,Cody Rhodes,Wade barret,Daniel bryan(non PPV),Punk,Seth rollins,Hell even with roman reigns was good.İ kinda disagree with him not being consistent in his face role becuase he was face at those matches and more importantly he was the in ring general. He was inconsistent in 2012 because hes ring work is mostly tied to his mood and when he is in midcard,it looks like he doesnt give a fuck about what he does. Which is the most negative part of him.

İ think punk is better than edge and cena in ring. But Cenas mic skills is top notch(when hes serious). İ like punk but i think overall hes couple of steps behind orton and cena. But i respect your opinion and agree with you some points you make.

·
From 199 to the greatest of all time.
3,651 Posts
The best of CM Punk could not ever crack my personal top 10. I just didn't find him compelling enough in the ring, or his constantly whiny "respect me, damnit!" promos the he would cut.

He had some great moments and was, to be fair, pretty good overall, but did the possibility for top 10 ever exist within him? Absolutely not, in my opinion.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts