Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it was reported weeks ago that former TNA/Impact Wrestling President, and former frontman for the Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan had bought the TNA, including all company owned libraries, championships, etc....there have been talk about a possible move towards a more modern organization for the NWA. Many think that Corgan plans to form a centralized main roster for the NWA, and that he will attempt to get a national television series started, as well as monthly, or semi-monthly PPV's. It's unclear whether this would mean pulling support of TNA's many regional promotions, or if those promotions would still be around for the purpose of using them as bases for house shows and development.

Does anyone see this happening?

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
Yes, I think Billy's plan is currently to centralize. Can't remember if 10/1 or 10/31 all remaining NWA promotion's licenses expire. With GFW in a weird position as well as Lucha Underground he may have a strong base to pull from. Granted I would imagine a chunk of LU goes to WWE, ROH, or NJPW. GFW...who knows what happens with that roster.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Billy doesn't have the resources to make the NWA matter again.

Look at the wrestling companies that actually matter

WWE - billion dollar global organization
NJPW - owned by billion dollar media conglomerate
ROH - owned by a company worth over 6 billion dollars which is merging with a ~4 billion dollar company
LU - owned by United Artists, a subsidiary of MGM, and AAA. Still loses money, may die before the end of the year
AAA - owned by a very wealthy family in Mexico and the promotion still loses money
CMLL - owned by one of the wealthiest landowning families in all of Mexico
GFW - owned by a billion dollar media company, still loses money.

Musician money is nothing compared to the cash these other promotions have and even then, the only profitable ones are WWE, NJPW, CMLL, and ROH.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My plan for Corgan and the NWA title would be to strike a deal with NJPW like Tharpe did. You have someone like Kota Ibushi win it. Then Kenny Omega as the NJPW US champion & Kota Ibushi as the NWA World Champion could be the big feud to kick off the NJPW US promotion.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I am going back and forth on the one promotion. One promotion is easier to control but is more expensive. Before Tharpe, the whole purpose of the nwa was for promotions to help each other. Aaa/gfw/crash/Noah and njpw/roh/cmll is basically a modern NWA.

If I was a money mark like Corgan, I would buy my own real estate in the Chicago area and do everything in house. It don't even have to be wrestling exclusive.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My plan for Corgan and the NWA title would be to strike a deal with NJPW like Tharpe did. You have someone like Kota Ibushi win it. Then Kenny Omega as the NJPW US champion & Kota Ibushi as the NWA World Champion could be the big feud to kick off the NJPW US promotion.
Why would NJPW want to work with the NWA? They offer absolutely nothing of value for NJPW, especially with their relationship with ROH and their US expansion efforts.

They already specifically dropped the NWA to make ROH their exclusive US partner. Why would they go back on that?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Why would NJPW want to work with the NWA? They offer absolutely nothing of value for NJPW, especially with their relationship with ROH and their US expansion efforts.

They already specifically dropped the NWA to make ROH their exclusive US partner. Why would they go back on that?
Anything is possible in wrestling, the head guy might be a huge smashing pumpkins fan. What if roh gets mad, they not going to do nothing.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Anything is possible in wrestling, the head guy might be a huge smashing pumpkins fan. What if roh gets mad, they not going to do nothing.
I could see them dropping ROH for a bigger promotion, but not an irrelevant ghost like the NWA. There is literally nothing they can offer NJPW.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
Okay, so let's just go out on a BIG limb and say NJPW isn't going to team up with NWA again. Even when they did recently it added little value. Just added another belt to the mix which they could use to bolster a C-show.

Now, think the best bet would be for Billy to team up with some bigger indies like WrestleCircus and DEFY which seemed to tackle values I think would work with Billy's mindset. These wouldn't be NWA promotions but if the NWA could get their titles on those shows I think that would be a plus. Another partner could be The Crash who seem to be open for business. They work with GFW but GFW also works with AAA so not the tightest relationship in the world.

No clue if this is a real good time to add in another 3rd tier promotion or a real bad time. Probably will be able to tell more by end of 2018. Realistic options are a little slim at the moment.

·
Banned
6,708 Posts
If Corgan was serious then he would be looking to sign Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. There is a chance Bryan goes back to wrestling and we all know the WWE won't allow that.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
If Corgan was serious then he would be looking to sign Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. There is a chance Bryan goes back to wrestling and we all know the WWE won't allow that.
No way in hell Billy could afford those two.

Besides, Danielson has been teasing a program with Cody Rhodes and he has gone on record saying he wants to work a CMLL Anniversary Show. If and when he leaves WWE, he's going to NJPW/ROH/CMLL. He is already known to those audiences from before his WWE days. He was ROH World Champion, the final ROH Pure Wrestling Champion, and IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion (with Christopher Daniels/Curry Man).

·
HEADBANGA
25,277 Posts
I still don't know why he doesn't wantto focus of his own promotion (is it still running?) rather than trying to buy into a piece of history.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No one said he was going to run the company himself. A big money partner who happens to be a wrestling fans could easily give them the same push Ted Turner gave WCW.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts