Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very sensitive subject matter so lets try to be mature.

I'm not asking if Benoit was talented, he was. I'm not asking if WWE should still acknowledge him.

I'm also not referring to people who didn't have a choice. Some people are only there to do a job.

I mean someone who could've gotten around putting Benoit over. Obviously, no one can tell the future, but I can imagine feeling a certain way after the fact.

I think deep down Shawn Michaels feels a certain way. He's avoided putting a lot of people over and then the person he does put over does this. Then with Michaels acting like a super christian at times I think he feels a certain way about murder.

I also think Triple H does too. He has a reputation of "burying" people. So, I can imagine the times he does put someone over he'd want it stick. Also with his current position (or position he'll eventually take)I can imagine not promoting the WM20 match on DVD's is a headache now (if they ever release 16-30 as a collection like they have with 1-15.)

At the same time I don't think a guy like The Rock who put him over at Fully Loaded cares. The Rock had more of a "another day at the office." look at things.

Again, try to be mature. Don't let the subject matter get out of control.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
I think they only regret putting him over and contributing to a magical atmosphere when they know it's now censored or edited. I think Triple H would have no regret if he did that to Eddie Guerrero instead of Benoit at WrestleMania XX despite that Eddie died 1 year later. But to be honest after all this happened I think everybody feels now uncomfortable and regrets putting over Benoit one way or another because it affected the pro wrestling business, especially the WWE as a company.
You don't need to know Vince McMahon personally to know that he regrets not rejecting Benoit after he, Eddie, Malenko or Saturn wanted to leave WCW

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
jesus christ that photo of russo is disturbing :eek:

As for the thread, tbh I really think when wrestlers who worked with benoit think about him I dont think who won or lost a match is probably matters that much in the scheme of things, some probably wish they never worked with him regardless of whether they or he won though.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I think it has to be looked at from this perspective-

No one makes perfect decisions 100% of the time. You just have to do what you feel is best. What if Vince McMahon had thought in 2002 "Maybe I shouldn't put the title on Lesnar. He might become a murderer."

Triple H, Shawn and Vince should have a sense of peace knowing that there was no way for them to know would Benoit would eventually do. Their decisions were based on what they honestly thought was best for business.

Playing Texas Hold Em, it's like folding a 2-6 offsuit pre flop, and then 3 sixes come out on the flop. It sucks, but if you make every decision going against the odds because you hope/fear something huge, you won't get anywhere.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
I don't think anyone does, other than maybe Vince.

If you read what Shawn writes about Benoit in his book before his death, you'll see that Shawn respected Benoit as much as any other human in the business. Therefore, I think Shawn knows that what Benoit did was 100% the result of catastrophic brain damage mixed with a lethal combination of drugs and depression. Benoits brain was found to resemble that of an 80 year old Alzheimer's patient when he his autopsy was performed. I think Shawn knows that, so he should have some peace knowing that there was nothing he could have done to prevent this.

One of Benoits best friends was Chris Jericho, and Jericho just posted a picture on his twitter account the on the anniversary of the tragedy showing a young Jericho and Benoit in Japan making goofy faces at each other with the caption "I will never understand why this tragedy happened, but I do know that I still miss my friend". Jericho knew Benoit better than anyone besides Eddie, Dean, and Benoits family. If Jericho has said that Benoit wasn't a monster, just a victim of brain trauma, then I think we should all accept it to. This is no different than Vene Gagne murdering a fellow patient at his nursing home back in 2009. Verne has Alzheimer's, so did Benoit, it just wasn't diagnosed.

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
HHH.

And that's only because I think he regrets putting anybody over and I can see him saying:

"That son of a bitch killed his family. Ugh, why did I put that fucker over."

At the same time, I'm convinced that if 6/24/07 never happened, he'd still regret putting Benoit over.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Jupiter Jack Daniels said:
At the same time, I'm convinced that if 6/24/07 never happened, he'd still regret putting Benoit over.
No. Benoit was a down to earth person who was really talented and worked his ass off. So many wrestlers respected this guy. Triple H is not so despicable as to regret putting Benoit for reasons unrelated to the tragedy.

Do you seriously think Triple H is as evil and cold hearted as the internet makes him out to be?

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
No. Benoit was a down to earth person who was really talented and worked his ass off. So many wrestlers respected this guy. Triple H is not so despicable as to regret putting Benoit for reasons unrelated to the tragedy.

Do you seriously think Triple H is as evil and cold hearted as the internet makes him out to be?
I really don't see what there is to debate. Not saying my answer is the 100% correct answer but you're trying too hard, by bringing up being "down to earth" and "working his ass off" as a way of saying what he does or doesn't regret.

Don't put too much thought into it, it doesn't require that, as this isn't a "fact-based" discussion.

And I don't know why you closed the post with a question, that is obviously answered by my original post.

I'm not about to sit here and debate about this.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is no different than Vene Gagne murdering a fellow patient at his nursing home back in 2009. Verne has Alzheimer's, so did Benoit, it just wasn't diagnosed.
Very good point. What's scarier is Gange didn't remember doing it. Benoit could've snapped out of it. Gange had a hospital clear up what happened. Benoit had no one to clean up the bodies. SO he could've came to himself and noticed what he did and then killed himself.

Still. It scares me how functional he still was. He was still coming into work. God forbid what could've happened to Punk had he wrestled him when he snapped like that.

The sad part is we'll never truly know if he snapped because of the trauma or if he was aware what was going on and he just so happened to also have brain trauma.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I doubt anyone has even thought about it. It's entirely unrelated to what that fuckwad did to his family.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt anyone has even thought about it. It's entirely unrelated to what that fuckwad did to his family.

Got of topic for a moment, but THIS THREAD isn't about what he did, and I was stop that before it gets out of hand.

This is simply if the wrestlers he's worked with, regret working with him.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
Very good point. What's scarier is Gange didn't remember doing it. Benoit could've snapped out of it. Gange had a hospital clear up what happened. Benoit had no one to clean up the bodies. SO he could've came to himself and noticed what he did and then killed himself.

Still. It scares me how functional he still was. He was still coming into work. God forbid what could've happened to Punk had he wrestled him when he snapped like that.

The sad part is we'll never truly know if he snapped because of the trauma or if he was aware what was going on and he just so happened to also have brain trauma.

My buddy's dad has Alzheimer's, and it's pretty wild how people can just snap in and out of reality. One moment he can be sitting there having coffee with us talking about football, the next he's calling my friend by the dogs name and asking if he finished the report for school (we graduated from school in 2006). So yea, I can absolutely see Benoit having a psychotic episode, some how coming to the conclusion that his family was trying to kill him and that they had to die. It's really really scary to think about, but that's what I think happened. When he snapped out of it and realized what he had done he killed himself.

I just wish WWE would own what happened. They can come out and show reports about the trauma Benoit suffered to his brain, explain this is why we don't allow shots to the head anymore, explain all the procedures they have in place so that something like this never ever happens again. That's what the NFL did when Junior Seau killed himself. I don't see how this is so different. It's just sad that Benoits family and Benoit himself died in vain. It could have brought a lot of public awareness to the problems with brain trauma way back in 2007, before the NFL had it's own concussion crises. Now, it's like Chris Benoit sacrificed his life to give us countless hours of some of the best wrestling ever, but it's all buried and forgotten by the company he sacrificed himself for.

To remain on topic, I can't imagine too many if any wrestlers regret putting Benoit over. If anything, I wonder if some of the younger talent Benoit put over might feel conflicted. On one hand they are greatful to this guy for helping them out, on the other, he is portrayed as the devil himself by those within the WWE.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
My buddy's dad has Alzheimer's, and it's pretty wild how people can just snap in and out of reality. One moment he can be sitting there having coffee with us talking about football, the next he's calling my friend by the dogs name and asking if he finished the report for school (we graduated from school in 2006). So yea, I can absolutely see Benoit having a psychotic episode, some how coming to the conclusion that his family was trying to kill him and that they had to die. It's really really scary to think about, but that's what I think happened. When he snapped out of it and realized what he had done he killed himself.
My Grandmother has Alzheimer's before she was diagnosed and put onto medication, she was pretty wild. She would phone my parents about 30 times a day ask the same questions and argue with my dad. She even got violent and started hitting and stretching my dad's hand till he yanked in pain. It's one thing when a woman in her 80s has it, but when a man with the amount of strength as Benoit goes like that it's deadly.

On topic

Most probably try to leave it in the past, because at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. It's the times when you do something you know would be a mistake but do it anyway imo is the easiest to regret. No one knew Benoit would end up killing his family and him self, he was well respected and liked that's what made the event so shocking.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
No people who worked with him love him because that's the type of person Chris was until he got Mentally ill and did what he did.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I don't think so. Maybe Vince but the other wrestlers... no. Shawn Michaels respected him as a performer and human being and he was the guy who used the Crossface for the first time after the tragedy (so there's something there). Triple H said on an interview that he still respects Benoit as he knew him and stands by what he said in the tribute show. Even Vince probably "erases" him because he wants to play it safe.

They probably regret the fact that they can't really show the WM20 classic now but most of the people who worked with Chris and knew him as close friends still love him. Most wrestlers I've seen come out of character regarding this subject have been positive in their feelings. Flair, Jericho, Orton, Batista, HHH, MVP and so on.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No people who worked with him love him because that's the type of person Chris was until he got Mentally ill and did what he did.
For fucks sake. Even if he did 'get mentally ill' which is a lame excuse to begin with, he was the one in control of his own destiny from day one. His murdered son, not so much.

Would you keep making these excuses for him if you had never seen him in TV?

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
For fucks sake. Even if he did 'get mentally ill' which is a lame excuse to begin with, he was the one in control of his own destiny from day one. His murdered son, not so much.

Would you keep making these excuses for him if you had never seen him in TV?
It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Did he get himself into this by becoming a wrestler and wrestling the way he did? No doubt, but it's not like he was a psychic who knew this would happen and went ahead with it anyways.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Did he get himself into this by becoming a wrestler and wrestling the way he did? No doubt, but it's not like he was a psychic who knew this would happen and went ahead with it anyways.
In the future, please just ignore anyone attacking him in THIS THREAD. This thread is for people who want to discuss the opening question. I don't want this becoming like any other Benoit thread.

ON TOPIC, you're right HBK was the first to bring the crossface back. That should say something about how he feels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts