Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
:( but I think wrestlind would become a lot more popular if there were some very charismatic characters that aren't there today
WWE would just mishandle them. They would force them to read dumb scripts, book them in stupid ways and just generally do everything to stifle their charisma

The whole corporate structure of WWE today is a problem too. It really holds them back a lot because they can't do the stuff that made their product popular in the 80s or the Attitude Era.

Also, WWE is a very selfish company. I actually think working with and cross promoting with other wrestling companies would help the industry as a whole, but WWE will never do that.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Probably not, guys like Hogan just aren't common. Neither are those perfect circumstances. The wrestling industry is lucky to have experienced two major booms. The circumstances can't be replicated or forced. It's not just a matter of a company mismanaging talent as fans feel like they determine who has charisma. It's easy to say that it is simply mismanagement and that is a problem without a doubt, but there is a segment of the audience who believes that they are all knowing and that is not an environment that is conducive to fostering the talents of even the charismatic individuals. Combine the two and you have a toxic situation all around.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Probably not.

I think a lot of fans at times, myself included, don't quite realize how popular Hulk Hogan really was. Dude was a worldwide sensation. Hulk wasn't really speaking in hyperbole when he said "there are people who don't know who Bill Clinton is that know who Hulk Hogan is" and neither was Arn Anderson when he said "when you mention prowrestling to someone who knows nothing about it they say Oh that's that thing Hulk Hogan does"

Austin and Rock may have been on that level, but if they were it was for a very short window, and Rock's woldwide popularity now has NOTHING to do with prowrestling. A lot of people, Mick Foley's youngest kids included at one point :lol, have no idea he was once a prowrestler, but I digress.

It's kind of a chicken and the egg thing where you need to be another wrestling boom for someone to reach that level of popularity but you need someone or something popular enough to start that kind of wrestling boom.

Long story short... no it's not likely.

I'd love to be wrong and see another wrestling boom... but no it's not likely.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Yeah, After Lucha Underground and the yes movement in WWE kind of fizzled out, I feel little hope of wrestling ever being big again

I feel bad for younger fans. I lived through the 80s and the Attitude Era. I remember when you could talk about wrestling with anybody and it was as normal as talking about football or TV/Hollywood celebs. Wrestling was everywhere. Even looking past Hogan, you could see with guys like Captain Lou Albano and Sergeant Slaughter how mainstream wrestling was with both of them being in very popular kids shows. And Hogan himself might as well have been the real life Captain America in the 80s

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Pro wrestling needs more than just one larger than life character to expand again and with how sensitive the world is now we won't be seeing a boom period in pro wrestling for awhile , It's just not pro wrestling anymore there isn't any believability or credible wrestlers, a couple here and there aren't enough, or any must see stories being told that bring in paying customers that can sell out a respectable size arena. So no there will never be another Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair or any one that has any credible name value every again, but I wish there will be one .

·
Registered
380 Posts
John Cena was the last star I can actually say broke into the mainstream. WWE hasn't been able to genuinely produce another star since then. Daniel Bryan came super close with the YES movement, but too much happened to kill him and his momentum. I feel it probably won't happen. The writing in general for WWE isn't that great and no one really stands out from each other. They don't book anyone to really be a star but one person. We see how that is working.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,254 Posts
Absolutely not. Hogan was a global phenomenon, a completely mainstream megastar. Even if you were not around for him or didn't like him the fact remains that most of us wouldn't be here talking about wrestling if it wasn't for Hogan.

Reactions: juice4080

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Austin was more popular in 1998-99 than Hogan was in any year in the 1980s though obviously Hogan had a longer run

Pro wrestling needs more than just one larger than life character to expand again and with how sensitive the world is now we won't be seeing a boom period in pro wrestling for awhile , It's just not pro wrestling anymore there isn't any believability or credible wrestlers, a couple here and there aren't enough, or any must see stories being told that bring in paying customers that can sell out a respectable size arena. So no there will never be another Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair or any one that has any credible name value every again, but I wish there will be one .
Wasn't pro wrestling then either. The Hogan era shifted the focus from pro wrestling to entertainment which we are still in the middle of 33 years later.

Credibility doesn't play a part. It's a circus now and it's about who is the best circus performer. If credibility was key Brock Lesnar would be the biggest star in history given he has the real fighting background and looks like he would rip off Hogan's and flairs heads and shit down their necks but for some reason the pro wrestling fans at large have never really taken to Brock in a pro wrestling ring despite his mega-pushes in 2002-04 and 2014-present.

If fans gave two fucks about credibility Ken shamrock would have been the biggest star during the attitude era instead it was a failed wcw midcarder and a failed football player who left him in the dust.

John Cena was the last star I can actually say broke into the mainstream. WWE hasn't been able to genuinely produce another star since then. Daniel Bryan came super close with the YES movement, but too much happened to kill him and his momentum. I feel it probably won't happen. The writing in general for WWE isn't that great and no one really stands out from each other. They don't book anyone to really be a star but one person. We see how that is working.
Disagree. Brock is clearly booked to be a bigger deal than almost everyone else, so is reigns so is strowman. The top guys are still super protected and kept special. That's not the issue. Rock wasn't winning every match, in fact he failed to win at three manias in a row but he still became a huge star.

If there was a magic formula as to why or how a star comes about Vince would have bottled it and every promotion that went out of business would still be on TV today

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Austin has never in his entire career been as popular as Hogan in his peak. I lived through the 80s and the Attitude Era and that's a fact. Hogan was a fucking national icon. He's on a whole other level

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Austin has never in his entire career been as popular as Hogan in his peak. I lived through the 80s and the Attitude Era and that's a fact. Hogan was a fucking national icon. He's on a whole other level
You mean you lived through the 80's as a kid and the Attitude Era as a teen/adult, so you're obviously going to think that Hogan was more popular since he was part of the most special time in your life, your childhood, but Hogan was just only an American icon, outside of America, it was different because he only really appealed to Americans. In the Attitude Era, Austin wasn't just all the rage and an icon in America, he was all the rage and an icon globally as he was someone that didn't just only appeal to America. Down here in the UK, he was all people could talk about. Austin made wrestling mainstream and a pop culture phenomenon here in the UK. No one ever talked about Hogan down here and Austin made the wrestling world forget about him. Austin made the WWF bigger and surpassed Hogan's popularity in his peak. You don't have to like it but that's just fact and the way it happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts