Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I think it was great year. It had a great main event division and I think that it had one of the best fueds off all time with The Rock and Triple H. It also had a great Tag Team Division with The Hardy Boyz, E&C, Dudley Boyz, APA, ect. ect. It also introduced us to the TLC match which has become one of my favorite match types in the WWE. 2000 also had a great hardcore division with the 24/7 rule and it was hysterical watching Crash Holly run all around the place trying not to lose the title. I think the mid-card division was also outstanding with Beniot, Jericho, Guerrero, and the list goes on and on. I think the only bad thing about this year was Austin not being around to much but I still think this was one of the best if not the best year for the WWE.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
agreed

1999-2002 the best years of wrestling IMO

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
2000 was epic.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Was it good? It's in contention for the best for me.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
2000 wasn't just a good year for the WWE, it was the best year. There was a tag division that people cared about, Triple H absolutely ripping it up in the main event in his legendary heel run, and everything about the show was just rather awesome, tbh.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
2000 was a excellent year but it exposed HHH for being overrated because once all of those great workers were not around(Austin, Rock, Benoit, Jericho, Angle), he would never have anything close to that kind of year again.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
2000 was a excellent year but it exposed HHH for being overrated because once all of those great workers were not around(Austin, Rock, Benoit, Jericho, Angle), he would never have anything close to that kind of year again.
Oh yeah?

How come those great workers had THE matches with Triple H and not anybody else? Except Angle, Hunter had classics with all the mentioned guys. The 3 Stages of Hell match against Austin is a top-3 for Austin; the Backlash 2000 and Iron Man match against Rock are in the top-3 for Rock; the LMS match is Jericho's absolute best match. The Benoit-NM match was probably the best pure wrestling match WWE churned out on PPV that year. These things don't happen by coincidence or through the effort of one individual. It takes two to tango. The wrestlers you mentioned are legends but it's not surprising that some of their best works came with Hunter.

Since you mentioned Angle, I'll have to say: that RR '01 match between Hunter and Angle is among the most psychologically sound matches Angle has participated in. One of the. Kurt Angle :rolleyes:

·
"The Sex Tornado"
2,260 Posts
WWE hit this epic stride of great, compelling storylines from 1998-2002. However, 2000 is when EVERYTHING clicked together. Every division was stacked with great workers, the storylines are arguably as consistently good/great as they have ever been, and every show kept you wanting more.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yes? I mean you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who thinks 2000 sucked.
No you wont. 2000 is by far the most overrated year in WWE history.

A rumble which was only gonna be won by one guy.
Mae Young stripping.
Mae Young giving birth to a hand.
Mae Young existing.
A wrestlemania main event won by a heel.
The McMahon-Helmsley faction (if there was ever a faction to make no sense whatsoever this was it).
The Undertaker riding a bike around the ring with Kid Rock as his entrance music.
Shawn Michaels being brought in as a guest ref for no reason (make it a big deal ffs)
Triple H winning the title by DQ.
The Rock winning back the title by pinning Vince
The worst of the 538 times Kane turned on the Undertaker.
an X-Pac/Road Dogg feud.
The RTC entrance theme.
The who ran over Stone Cold storyline ending up as Rikishi.......WTF?
Stone Cold dropping Triple H in his car from a crane only for him to come back a few weeks later.

and naked Mideon.

EDIT: and if you think the internet is critical now, you should have seen how people bitched about the WWE in 2000.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
No you wont. 2000 is by far the most overrated year in WWE history.

A rumble which was only gonna be won by one guy. Because the past 2 Rumbles weren't predictable AT ALL:rolleyes: If anything, it was dumb how Big Show was considered the winner a few days later.
Mae Young stripping.
Mae Young giving birth to a hand.Wasn't that in 1999?
Mae Young existing.
A wrestlemania main event won by a heel. It's a fair complain, a lot of people wanted The Rock to win it that night but it just made his victory at Backlash much better. What was abd was he losing the title back to HHH next month at Judgement Day
The McMahon-Helmsley faction (if there was ever a faction to make no sense whatsoever this was it). Why?! Vince had used Undertaker and The Rock agaisnt Austin before and now that The Rock was his biggest enemy he had to use someone else.
The Undertaker riding a bike around the ring with Kid Rock as his entrance music. Yeah, I never liked Biker Taker
Shawn Michaels being brought in as a guest ref for no reason (make it a big deal ffs) Sorto of agree but he was making sporadic appearances in 99 as well and that was more annoying
Triple H winning the title by DQ. Yeah, that was dumb
The Rock winning back the title by pinning Vince
The worst of the 538 times Kane turned on the Undertaker.
an X-Pac/Road Dogg feud.
The RTC entrance theme. That was the purpose of it
The who ran over Stone Cold storyline ending up as Rikishi.......WTF?It flopped, I agree
Stone Cold dropping Triple H in his car from a crane only for him to come back a few weeks later.It was kinda lolworthy yes

and naked Mideon.

EDIT: and if you think the internet is critical now, you should have seen how people bitched about the WWE in 2000.And nowadays everyone claims it was the best year, it also had the highest ratings.
My comments are at bold.

The rest while not being good it really wasn't that relevant, the previous two years had alot of stupid shit as well.

·
Ho!
18,022 Posts
It was an excellent year, yes. However to say it's the best? I'm not sure. I can't remember everything as far as wrestling went, but in everything else about I found 1998, 1999, and 2001 more entertaining. Wrestling-wise, 2000 did have Triple H at his peak, and while he always had great opponents to have classics with, he was still much better than any other year. The Rock was also as popular as ever, and Triple H was an excellent heel at the time, especially to go against the Rock. Can't say I really cared for the whole McMahon-Helmsely era tbh, more so for me it was Rock's and Triple H's matches that kept me entertained, and honestly while the whole biker Taker was cool, entertaining, and refreshing, it just didn't feel like the Undertaker we all knew and loved.

So even though I feel 1998, 1999, and 2001 were all better for entertainment, promos, storylines, factions, etc, 2000 is still better than anything from 2002 onward, and from what I understand it did have the highest ratings, in fact, the time period may have been the peak of WWE's ratings overall. It was an excellent year, shame we don't have such quality nowadays.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
That year was the best only because the rock and austin was in it.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
ahhh 2000

the year i became a grapple addict

the main event delivered on nearly all occasions, Kurt Angle helped bring modern day technical purity into the mainstream,

the acquisition of Jericho and The Radicals from WCW lit the midcard/undercard on fire,

we were in the midst of the Tag Team Renaissance brought about by the E+C,Dudleys and Hardys fued, Tables and Ladder and Chairs OH MY

Hardcore matches were hecka fun to watch, i loved watching Steve Blackman kick some booty and make it look easy like an American Bruce Lee

Every night you were guaranteed a good match, a funny promo by Mick Foley as Commish, unpredictability, worthy wrestlers getting the titles or at least title shots,

even the b-shows were good to watch, everyone had a chance to shine, relatively

theeeeeeee Light Heavyweight Divsion and Womens division on the other hand, i admit, sucked,

while the LHW matches weren't at all bad they couldn't hold a candle to the Cruiserweights and with so many other belts far ahead on the pecking order who would even care,

even though Chyna was there to keep the anti wrestling feminists quiet, there were little to no challengers or even title matches until Lita took it from Steph, but hey we had its own little renaissance to look forward to in 2002 then later in TNA 2007

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Absolutely. It was one of the greatest years ever in the company's history. If not the best. The HHH/Rock feud, the rise of Kurt Angle, The amazing Tag Team division and the fact that every title from the WWF Title right down to the Light-heavyweight title actually felt important.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
2000 was THE year.

The single best year in pro wrestling history, just perfect.

End of.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts