Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a loyal viewer of SNL. Haven't watched regularly for years now. Every once in awhile I'll give it a try and hope for the best. There might be a funny sketch or two during the first 30 minutes but sitting for the whole 90 minutes is like watching paint dry with a gaggle of angry hemorrhoids. I pretty much gave up when even the show Dave Chappelle hosted was dog shit. The Walking Dead sketch that had many old Chappelle Show characters on it was the only funny thing I could remember. SNL seems to be more social commentary pandering for applause than any sort of comedy making you respond with laughter.

Remember the great cast members from the 1990s? Who have they got now to compare to Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Norm MacDonald, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, David Spade, and all the others? Even the abysmal cast of 1980 had Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo.

BTW, SNL was always chocked full of liberals. This is not a political debate. It's more about what is the definition of comedy in the present day.

Louis CK's monologue was good though. I'd like his take on what passes for comedy now.

·
We're all mad here....
834 Posts
Nowadays I just go on Youtube and search for specific clips I want to see.

For example, I like it when they break character and start laughing when they shouldn't. So I search "SNL break character" and a bunch of them pop right up. Or "weekend update stefon", or a particular guest host like "SNL Jason Momoa".

Haven't sat down and watched a full episode from beginning to end in a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
SNL here is usually in the morning since we're ahead in time so it's one of those shows that I do still watch when there's nothing else on the TV on that day and I do watch it for the musical performances.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
i used to watch a lot til mad tv was on for the few seasons, when i started to stop watching it, they would have skits go on too long. now its just youtube clips for me or what ever someone posts on fb

·
Baby It's Violence
7,117 Posts
It's pretty piss poor more often than not. Only things I might watch are some occasional music performance, or when they have a great guest host. The episodes with Adam Sandler and Tom Hanks for example were awesome, because both guys do their thing real well.

But they do dabble with Trump and shit way too much to where it's immensely cringeworthy. The weekend update stuff is especially bad.

·
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibl
5,214 Posts
I avoid their political humor (aka: the cold open and weekend update), but I occasionally watch some of their other sketches.

I feel like the show's quality has always been hit-or-miss. That's probably just the nature of sketch comedy.

·
Premium Member
43,881 Posts
I haven't watched a full episode since the early 2000s.

I have watched some clips of the show from time to time and...yeeeeeah.

Sketch comedy, by its very nature, is hit or miss, but I feel like I'm seeing almost all misses when I watch the clips. The last good one I remember seeing was the Kylo Ren Undercover Boss bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts