Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cena seems to be pretty well liked and respected now, sure he gets "Let's go Cena, Cena Sucks" chants but the hate he gets doesn't seem to be as much as it used to.

With the matches he has had recently with AJ, with Bryan, his United States Open Challenge, taking time off, CM Punk feud, losing clean more often, it seems the hate has died down.

But my question is do any of you still have a dislike for Cena, for some of the stuff he did in the past. Examples him beating The Nexus at Summerslam years ago, being the blame for pushes being stopped such as Rusev, among other things. (I'm sure there's a lot more but I can't think of any right now)

Or have you let the past go, and even more so would you consider yourself a Cena fan.

For me, I've never actually disliked Cena to begin with. Actually I grew up with Cena, and I even enjoyed him before his rap gimmick, so I have always been pretty biased. Though there were times I cheered against him such as his feuds with Edge, and when he fought RVD at ONS, for the most part I've never really disliked Cena. So my opinion on him hasn't really changed. As a matter of fact I like him now more than I ever have. I like his matches (though I know they are finisher spamfest) and the big fight feel he brings when he wrestles.

So basically I really like Cena, always have, so I Can't say I've "forgiven him" lol but I'd imagine people who were really behind The Nexus, (Wade Barrett especially) Edge, Rusev, Ryback, and such might find it difficult.

Though I will admit I wasn't a fan of him winning certain matches like The 2013 Rumble, or 2 Money in the Banks, I can say that I still have always enjoyed Cena regardless.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Re: Have you "Forgiven" Cena

He,s turned out to be one of the best workers ever imo. The guy can have a good match with anyone. Didnt like him at the height of his superman push but his 2013-2016 stuff won me over. He hasnt been on top of the card since Bryans rise to the top except the odd ppv here and there.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts

I think the overall decline of the product coincided with him being on top of the card, so he got blamed for it.

There are cases where he did fuck up, but I think he puts the effort in with his work.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

I never really resented him. I left the product behind for much of his time on top as I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I never questioned his talent or if he deserved to be on top for at least a good portion of the time he was. Since coming back to the show I've really grown to appreciate him.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,411 Posts

I still think he's one of the most annoying characters in WWE history, but he doesn't annoy me much anymore.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts

I will never forgive this clown for being so fucking bad for so many years, making wrestling unwatchable and burying a whole generation of potential superstars. Fuck him till the end of time.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts

I've grown to realize that John Cena was never the problem, so I'll never forgive WWE for trying to cover up their mistakes for the past 12 years.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Forgive is a strong word and in my opinion not applicable here since in reality Cena has done nothing except try to earn an honest living for himself in his chosen field. That said, the dude had a lot to do with ending my thirty year love affair with the wrestling industry so he's one of the first things to come to my mind when I think about why I stopped watching wrestling. Given perspective, I realize that my anger though should be directed more towards The McMahons and less towards Cena himself as they were the one who were chiefly responsible for his rise to prominence. In short, I'll never forget how it all came to a sad end for me and therefore will likely never be a fan of John Cena.

·
Registered
991 Posts

I dont like him. Think he can give some good promos, so occasionally im interested in that. Doesnt do it for me in the ring, I lose interest in him fast.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,440 Posts

What is there to forgive, exactly? Shitting booking decisions? Welcome to modern-day WWE.

I've rolled my eyes at some things he's done in the past, but I never held such resentment that he had to seek "forgiveness" from me as a viewer.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts

Yeah, it's all good. But, I think his current character sucks all kinds of ass, and I'm not going to flip and say actually he's one of the best ever. Because he isn't.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

I still think he's one of the most annoying characters in WWE history, but he doesn't annoy me much anymore.
Basically this and also it was okay where I can change the channel from any WWE program and Cena wasn't there, then he started showing up on commercials, hosting award shows etc. I don't hate Cena, I'm just tired of seeing him.

Reactions: Stormbringer

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts

The funny thing for me is that I used to be a gigantic Cena fan, before Dean Ambrose came along, he was my absolute favourite. He got replaced by Dean, but he was still in my top 5 faves.

But now? I don't like him at all. I've gone completely off him, it started in 2016. I don't think I'd even notice that much if he didn't come back tbh. He's still great on the mic, and still has great matches when it comes down to it, but I just don't really care about him anymore.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Think forgiven is the wrong word.

I just find him boring...

I know a lot of people enjoy his in ring work but i find his matches very formulaic and stale so i don't even enjoy the character from that stand point.

Its a shame because i remember being so happy when he beat the big show at Wrestlemania 20 for the US Title and to this day it is still one of my favourite matches.

but ever since he dropped the U.S title to Carlito in that really terribly acted stabbing storyline and then in a rather forced and contrived way beat JBL for the WWE title at Mania 21 it all just went down hill for me.

The character of John Cena just evolved into quite a boring, bland hogan rip off in my opinion and i have not enjoyed any of his work since.

Reactions: Stormbringer
1 - 20 of 64 Posts