Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Pro Wrestling is sports entertainment. WCW, ECW were sports entertainment. Mid South, Memphis, etc all were sports entertainment. They weren't running strictly wrestling matches with no shenanigans. Now obvious WWE dialed it up more than the others, but they're the same thing really. Unless you think having the Road Warriors all coked cutting insane promos and killing jobbers in the AWA and NWA was pro wrestling.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
18,007 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
But you are describing something that does not exist, which wrestling company is close to look real or has been? Wrestling is fake and gay even when you try it not to be,

Historically wrestling matches are not made to look real, if it was it would look close to MMA and you would have to eliminate 95% of the unnecessary spots and moves that make it look choreographic as shit.
"Historically wrestling matches are not made to look real..." Oh, really? Perhaps you should learn the history of the industry.

The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling - A&E Documentary (1998) - YouTube

·
Registered
Caesar Of Uranus
3,275 Posts
A certain amount of "Sports Entertainment" is used to sell the "Pro Wrestling" matches to give them storyline and meaning.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
"Historically wrestling matches are not made to look real..." Oh, really? Perhaps you should learn the history of the industry.

The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling - A&E Documentary (1998) - YouTube
Show me wrestling matches that look real, they are not.. 99% of the pro wrestling matches are choreographic shit shows, even at the beginning of it's creation, unless you are talking when it was still its greco-wrestling stage.

Once it evolved to Pro-wrestling, it was all fucking fake.. The closest it looked to be real was in the golden age because there was little brawling and high spots and they used bunch of holds, and still looked fucking ridiculous, people just didn't know what a real fight looked like at the time, so they bought on it.

If wrestling was made to look real it's scheme would be a lot different, it was just made with the purpose of entertaining people.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pro wrestling,but to be fair they are both one and the same, no? Pro wrestling has elements of sports and athletiscism aswell as your TV drama,pro wrestling and sports entertainment are one and the same - its silly that McMahon tried to seperate the two

I mean if you want real wrestling,you watch NCAA wrestling, or catch, or greco,if you want a real fight you watch boxing,UFC,muay thai, bareknuckle boxing

Lets not kid ourselves here,despite the sports entertainment shit weve had rammed down our necks,pro wrestling and sports entertainment are the same thing,pro wrestling like watching a movie

You want a real sport you watch a real sport,simple as that

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm not sure where you got these definitions from, but promos and vignettes have 100% played a part of Pro Wrestling since before Vince McMahon coined that ridiculous term. Pro Wrestling had drama and wrestlers had to have charisma.

If I had to say anything, "Sports Entertainment" added nonsensical angles, stripped away logic and forced scripted promos on grown adults who would never talk in such a manner.
I agree with you, I'm mainly just interested in who prefers when company's put a bigger emphasis on either the workrate or the charisma/promos. You obviously need both, but it's more which one keeps you more invested.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I'm going to interpret this topic as- do I prefer WWE's often over the top presentation of wrestling, or the way other promotions do it?

Although it was WWF Attitude Era that got me into wrestling- with a VHS of HBK and a VHS of Taker being my first exposure- I would say it's the actual wrestling side that kept me in for so long. The problem was, whenever my parents, uncles, family friends heard me reference wrestling, their minds went to Hogan in the 80s. That cartoony version of "sports entertainment" is something I detest. No wonder they made fun of me.

As I watched WWF more and more, it was the ones who captured my attention bell to bell that held my attention more. Chris Jericho. Kurt Angle. Chris Benoit. Hardyz/E&C/Dudleyz. Rob Van Dam. Rey Mysterio. Eddie Guerrero. And sure, some of them were really entertaining on the mic and in segments too, but it was the awesome matches that made me a fan. Smackdown Six in 2002 was my shit!

Went back the other day and watched Great American Bash 1989, after it was mentioned on another forum as one of the best PPVs ever. And I'll be damned. For a show in the 80s, a lot of what I watched wouldn't look too out of place on a current show. Sting vs. Muta. Luger vs. Steamboat. War Games. Funk vs. Flair. NWA/WCW had it right. I think AEW is much in that same spirit today.

Of course you need some showmanship and personality to make it work. Austin, Rock, DX were some of my favourites. But when the bell rang, they could give you a great, dramatic match too. It's the less over the top aspects that won me over. Hated Hulkamania. Not a big fan of New Generation. When WWE went PG and ultra cartoony again in 2008, that sent me away for years. Give me pro wrestling any day.

·
Banned
793 Posts
I think a mix of both is the key to success...howeveeerrrrrr.......I do believe that the sports entertainment side of things should be limited to having the pay offs and the action in the ring to tell the story and the feuds with only promo work and minimal backstage/away from the ring hijinks.

What I'm saying is that wrestlers are at their best when they are portraying standout personalities that make you love them or hate them and yes have some fun building those feuds but let most of that come from promo on the mic and let the finished product come when they meet in the ring with a good wrestling match but one that invests fans in the heroes and the villains antics per se.

Cinematic so called wrestling is an abomination and removes any sense of suspension of disbelief, wrestling was always more effective and believable when fans invested in the performers in the ring, their journies and successes and failures.

The wrestling should be be the pay off, the sports entertainment should be the promo and realistic feud goings on in the build and the story being told in the pay off in the ring.
There you get the perfect blend of the two.
It is not that difficult, the golden era had performers that told the story in the ring through their wrestling performances, I'm sure that art can be captured again surely if they try rather than just the present oversaturated filler with minimal substance we see today.

·
Registered
14,934 Posts
I want to see good matches that play to the strengths of the competitors, AND be interested in the characters in them, AND care about why the the matches are happening.
Take that answer for what you will.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Pro wrestling is what you see in the Olympics, anything outside of that is sports entertainment.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts